Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

08 Malibu Hybrid caught in the wild

Don't like the taillights, but...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530202

------------------------------------

All-New 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Debuts at Major League Baseball's All-Star Game

Malibu Hybrid production begins in October, available at dealerships soon after

Posted Image

SAN FRANCISCO – The all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid will join baseball’s other stars as it makes its world debut in the All-Star Fan Zone today. The Malibu Hybrid’s appearance continues through the last out of one of MLB’s highlights of the year.

Thanks to an affordable hybrid powertrain option, the all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid not only will be the most refined new midsize sedan in the neighborhood, but one of the most fuel-efficient, as well. Powered by the GM Hybrid System, the first-ever Malibu Hybrid delivers an EPA rating of 24 mpg city and 32 mpg highway – a two-mpg increase over the non-hybrid four-cylinder model – and will be Chevrolet value-priced, offering customers an affordable hybrid choice.

“The beauty of the Chevy Malibu Hybrid is that customers don’t have to choose between a stylish, expressive, fuel-saving sedan full of standard content and the gasoline that goes in the tank,” said Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper. “The Malibu Hybrid‘s winning package of uncompromising design and fuel economy will help us assert leadership in the midsize sedan segment and meet the needs of Chevy customers.”

Production of the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid is scheduled to begin in October, with vehicles arriving in dealerships shortly thereafter. The system will be available as a powertrain option on the base LS model, which also features Electric Power Steering, Automatic Climate Control and the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system.

The GM Hybrid system featured on the Malibu Hybrid saves fuel by using sophisticated controls and software, as well as a unique, 36-volt electric motor/generator mated to GM Powertrain’s 2.4L Ecotec VVT four-cylinder engine and Hydra-Matic 4T45 four-speed transmission. The GM Hybrid system maintains the vehicle’s sporty feel and seamlessly reduces fuel consumption by:

• Shutting off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, to minimize idling
  • Restarting the engine promptly when the brake pedal is released
  • Enabling early fuel shut-off during vehicle deceleration
  • Capturing vehicle kinetic energy during deceleration through regenerative braking to charge the advanced nickel metal hydride battery
  • Performing intelligent battery charging when it is most efficient
The GM Hybrid system provides additional power, when required, during launch from the electric motor/generator. At wide-open throttle, such as during a passing maneuver, the system enhances acceleration by using the motor/generator to bolster the gasoline engine and achieve maximum power.

The GM Hybrid system also is designed to automatically maintain full accessory functionality – including climate control – when the vehicle is stopped, so that hybrid operation is seamless to the driver and passengers. The Malibu Hybrid delivers an appropriate balance of fuel economy and cabin comfort with an air conditioning system with two selectable modes. The Hybrid A/C mode favors more fuel-efficient performance by limiting the draw on the hybrid powertrain, while the normal mode provides maximum passenger comfort in hot climates and enhances defogging performance.

Malibu Hybrid models make a statement away from the gas pump, too, thanks to specific exterior appointments such as 16-inch low rolling resistance tires and unique hybrid badging. Inside, a special gauge cluster provides information and feedback about the hybrid powertrain’s operation.

The 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid is covered by GM’s five-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, the most comprehensive in the industry. In addition, the Malibu Hybrid’s advanced nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery pack is covered by an eight-year / 100,000-mile warranty.

Specifications

Posted ImagePosted Image

Photo Gallery

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Not sure if it's just me, but after seeing it in a real world setting...it looks bland now, like a restyled Impala. Suddenly I'm disappointed. Not to say that it's bad however. It's definitely still better than the outgoing model, but I guess the wow factor has worn off for me.

Edited by big blue

I actually like it, it does not look bland, but the little wheels and blue-ish color will make a car look alot more boring than it really is. Overall tho it is a sharp looking car and should steal Camry sales!

Edited by gm4life

I'll join the group on this one too: whle the car looks nice, it's styling isn't anything close to 'gotta have'. It's looks are nice & clean, but it just doesn't have much of a 'wow' factor -- much like the current Impala. If GM is serious about conquest sales, then it needs to put forth a product that has something it's competitors don't: either by way of feature-content, price, hp, gas mileage, or styling (or a combination of these). So far, the styling doesn't move the bar any (at least for me).

If this is pretty much identical to the Aura Hybrid we already have, then it is sure to disappoint fuel economy-wise.

I'm going to have to extrapolate the hell out of this one, but hear me out.

The Malibu hybrid is most likely going to be cheaper than the Aura Greenline. Virtue of being a Chevy.

Aura Hybrid bases at 22k so I'll take a stab at the Malibu Hybrid being 21k.

Aura Greenline official EPA numbers are 28/35.

Assuming the Malibu matches those, you end up with an almost Impala sized sedan for 21k that gets better city mileage than the Camry by a 4mpg and 1mpg better then Camry on the highway <acknowledging that hybrids to better in city over highway>.

I'm going to have to extrapolate the hell out of this one, but hear me out.

The Malibu hybrid is most likely going to be cheaper than the Aura Greenline. Virtue of being a Chevy.

Aura Hybrid bases at 22k so I'll take a stab at the Malibu Hybrid being 21k.

Aura Greenline official EPA numbers are 28/35.

Assuming the Malibu matches those, you end up with an almost Impala sized sedan for 21k that gets better city mileage than the Camry by a 4mpg and 1mpg better then Camry on the highway <acknowledging that hybrids to better in city over highway>.

I was going by the Car and Driver test fuel economy of the Aura GL, which was bad.

I was going by the Car and Driver test fuel economy of the Aura GL, which was bad.

Car and Driver beat the living snot out of that poor car and I feel sorry for whoever the poor sap is who ends up with it. They managed to get the mileage on the Aura Greenline lower than the mileage on the Saturn Vue Greenline with the identical power train.

I love the way the fron looks, while thre rear makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty fork.

I love the hybrid badge I'm seeing on the side, but unfortunately, that not the paradiGM hybrid system, yet.. What gives? :( Looks nice with the exception of the Infinitiesque rear that really does NOT belong on that car. My only problem is that it will most definitely be outright berated in reviews and such for being yet another mild hybrid and it won't get anywhere near the fuel mileage that others get.

Car and Driver beat the living snot out of that poor car and I feel sorry for whoever the poor sap is who ends up with it. They managed to get the mileage on the Aura Greenline lower than the mileage on the Saturn Vue Greenline with the identical power train.

But of course... The hybrid Aura was too much of a threat.

I think it's a very handsome car and if anyone thinks the Camry or new Accord stack up ANY better in the styling departments, you're crazy. These are vanilla family sedans, not Corvettes and Camaros.

The details are what make the sell, which is how the Accord and Camry have sold for years. I even remember articles about how the asians were so much "better" because they looked at the car up close, apparently like they have to do in Japan since the place is so small (No kidding, it's what the author said) and that's WHY they were better...

The back of the car does need work though and the HORRIBLE wheels make all the difference in the world too.

I think it's a very handsome car and if anyone thinks the Camry or new Accord stack up ANY better in the styling departments, you're crazy. These are vanilla family sedans, not Corvettes and Camaros.

I don't disagree that they stack up well against the Accord & Camry -- but if you are a traditional Camry or Accord owner, this me-too- styling isn't going to get you to switch brands is it? The styling doesn't invite you to get you onto the Chevy lot. That's an opportunity loss. If GM wants to acquire foreign sales, it must do BETTER than their foreign counterparts.. not the same and/or similar.

I don't disagree that they stack up well against the Accord & Camry -- but if you are a traditional Camry or Accord owner, this me-too- styling isn't going to get you to switch brands is it? The styling doesn't invite you to get you onto the Chevy lot. That's an opportunity loss. If GM wants to acquire foreign sales, it must do BETTER than their foreign counterparts.. not the same and/or similar.

True, but let's not assume that Camry and Accord buyers don't shop at all either. This model stacks up in other ways that will attract buyers.

Let's not forget how much better the interior of this thing is.

Agree with big blue, it looks like an Impala, definitely not what is going to steal CamCord sales.

Maybe it will have sales like the Impala too. That is, start slow and keep growing.

I think that it is an handsome and mature design.

It looks good over than the taillights and the wheels. GM needs to do something about they're tiny ass wheels. They look pathetic.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your typical hybrid buyer is not going to care so much about the wheels.

All these comments about not being stylistically stellar and flashy-wheeled.... you guys need to take a look at the camry. Neither it's wheels or design are better than the Malibu and certainly did not pull any buyers in by themselves. There is no reason other than blind toyota loyalty not to cross-shop the 'bu from what I've seen.

And that's a viable reason to use them... Why? Good enough never is.

In this case the wheels are more about efficiency and less about looks. If people cared about looks in their hybrid purchase, don't you think the Civic Hybrid would have been the one to sell over 100k instead of the Pruis?

face it. in the flesh this looks blander than the photos. its GM, so the interior will be plasticky. the ecotec gets ragged on for not being smooth to begin with. BAS is considered bargain tech, even if its simple, its dated coming out of the chute. 4 speed auto is 1986. needs a 6 speed.

biggest problem, if its like the aura.....epsilon chassis. car is too narrow and seats are too low. mid-older buyers want elbow room and seats that sit a little higher.

GM keeps doing stuff that haunts them. cheap looking wheels, ergonomic problems, cheap out on powertrains, plasticky interiors. I'm beginning to think this car won't do a lot to change the sales charts. even if the 3.6/6 speed combo is good.

All these comments about not being stylistically stellar and flashy-wheeled.... you guys need to take a look at the camry. Neither it's wheels or design are better than the Malibu and certainly did not pull any buyers in by themselves. There is no reason other than blind toyota loyalty not to cross-shop the 'bu from what I've seen.

from what you've seen, but you already own a GM, don't you? they don't need to pull you in, it's those pesky "blindly loyal" Toyhonda consumers they need to figure out. I'll tell you one thing, they buy the Camry and Accord in spite of everday styling. However, simplicity and elegance of form are something not altogether lacking from Camcord, and it seems to be in good order here as well. I like the Malibu, still need to see more of it, I agree with those that feel something eye-catching and more distinct is necessary to pull buyers in. Will this do the trick? It's a nicely, smartly designed sedan that looks every bit as normal as everything else out there, while still retaining just a bit of Cheviness in the distinctive rear, that I like, and grille. It could ultimately supplant the Impala in day to day retail sales, but probably not get near Accord and Camry. They need an ace up thier sleeve for that, and while the Malibu seemingly gets closer to cracking the magic equation for success in the hyper-competitive midsize genre than ever, all the ducks are in order but there is no carte blanche gotta get up and go get that sedan. After it comes to dealers and the two tone trims are everywhere along with the upmarket rims, their maybe some adjustment to that theory.

It looks more expensive than what it is (more upscale and sophisticated than the current Malibu or Impala... even more so than the current LaCrosse.) The interior design and quality should be one of Chevrolet's recent best. It has the 3.6l V6 available (no OHV) along with a Hybrid model.

Looks like a winner to me. :thumbsup:

It looks more expensive than what it is (more upscale and sophisticated than the current Malibu or Impala... even more so than the current LaCrosse.) The interior design and quality should be one of Chevrolet's recent best. It has the 3.6l V6 available (no OHV) along with a Hybrid model.

Looks like a winner to me. :thumbsup:

Agreed. It's got more soul than a few others I've seen. And this car needed to look more lux, which it does.

While it is not going to rock the world family sedans, it is going to continue to steal more sales from Toyo and Honda.

It's going to take time to steal those buyers away....

Start with the Bu'- surprise them with the Impy, Desire the Camaro.....

I hardly consider it bland looking. I think it is very sharp with alot of Impala and TL in it. Two very good things I like it from all angles including the rear. Love the new interior and hope the quality is as good as it looks. Plus add to that standard 6 spd. autos across the board you have a great thing going for you. Should go right after Camry and Accord sales if you ask. Hardly looks like a rental special as one person was saying above... :stupid:

from what you've seen, but you already own a GM, don't you? they don't need to pull you in, it's those pesky "blindly loyal" Toyhonda consumers they need to figure out.

No; it's all the consumers in between the 2 camps they need to appeal to- trying to sway the blind loyalist is a waste of time.

Sizing up the competition:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, especialy considering one was proffesionally photographed and the other was snapped by some guy driving by in his car, I'd say the 'bu compares pretty well. The LED taillights are the only thing I prefer on the Camry.

-RBB

Sizing up the competition:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, especialy considering one was proffesionally photographed and the other was snapped by some guy driving by in his car, I'd say the 'bu compares pretty well. The LED taillights are the only thing I prefer on the Camry.

-RBB

You do know that Malibu LTZ comes with the LED tailights right? The same lenses appear to be on the Hybrid also. I agree about the back end however...

EDIT: My mistake, upon further inspection it doesn't have the LED tailights. Maybe the production version will...well...hopefully.

Edited by deftonesfan867

not with the disappointing mpg numbers just out.

24 city 32 hwy.

the 04 3.5 got those numbers.

Ill wait for the 2 mode hybrid .

you're comparing dissimilar testing methods, an '04 tested under the same methods the '08 was tested under wouldn't do nearly as well.