Lutz Talks Back II - What about Buick?

Lutz Talks Back Part II
"Hey Bob...what about Buick?"
Posted Image

Some clarification - as evidenced by this clip, this is actually the first of a four-part series featuring one-on-one interviews with Mr. Lutz that will be released over the rest of the month. FastLane editors had some technical issues, so they threw the second one up first. However, the order doesn't really matter.

In this segment, Mr. Lutz assures us that both he and Buick are indeed alive. Future Buicks both in the American and Chinese markets will follow a "softer, quieter, more traditional American" design. This contrasts with Cadillac, which was described again as being edgier and more geared towards the handling side of the luxury field. In the marketplace, its reiterated that Buick will be an American Lexus, but cheaper, driven by value. This concept is validated by the Enclave, whose design, materials, powertrain, and equipment are certainly Lexus-level, but at a lower price point. However, we will never see Buicks priced along the ranks of Chevrolet, so the days of heavy value-driven $19,000 Centuries and $22,000 LeSabres are gone forever.

In regards to individual models, Mr. Lutz rebutts the claim that China is recieving better-looking cars than America with a somewhat cryptic response, indicating that they're not "they're simply the first market to get the new Park Avenue," and that vehicle or "a variant of it" is "always a possibility in the future." Also, that the something like the Riviera concept "may someday see the light of day."

In the end, however, he assures us that the future of the Buick brand "looks very good."

So there you have it. Sadly, not much more than we know or at least speculated on already. I know alot of you are hardcore Buick enthusiasts and I encourage all of you to let your feelings known on what you want American Buick to have here and when. Respond here...
Bob Lutz Answere More FastLane Questions
...and make sure you mention where you're from...Cheers and Gears! :cheers:

At least Bob says Buick has a future. Can we get the Park Avenue next spring please Bob? Please. I am begging you, along with the Enclave, Lucerne and Park Avenue you would have 3 cars introduced within 3 years all fresh. That is very good if you ask me, and your going after Lexus customers. As for the LaX rename it the Regal and start cranking out an excellent premium mid-size to large sedan at a fair price. Then bring me out my GNX the one with a direct injected 3.6L DOHC VVT V6 and strap a turbo on her and pair it to a new 6L80E automatic and your set. Next bring a RWD Riv based off the GNX and a drop-top of some sort.

Edited by gm4life

I think you had better look for more luxury vs GNX kind of a car.

Buick is going to suck up the people who want the ride and not so much the drive. Also they will suck up the people that feel abandoned at Cadillac.

Buick is going to go back to their roots with Style, class, comfort and open road ride/ power. More of a grand touring type thing vs the GN, GS or GNX kind of thing. These will be cars that will give you a great ride at 100 mph down the road but never set records in the Quarter Mile.

Buick has had some great performance cars over the years but that was never their first line specialty. GM has other divisions to offer performace as in Pontiac. The time has come for each division to make a place for it's self and stop stealing sales from each other. It is time to work as a unit with each division having it own special job and take sales form other companies.

The more defined Buick becomes the more it is needed. If it tries to be all things to all people it will fail. It is time to let them do what they do best. I think it is time for a new Electra 225.

Buick is going to suck up the people who want the ride and not so much the drive. Also they will suck up the people that feel abandoned at Cadillac.

Buick is going to go back to their roots with Style, class, comfort and open road ride/ power. More of a grand touring type thing vs the GN, GS or GNX kind of thing. These will be cars that will give you a great ride at 100 mph down the road but never set records in the Quarter Mile.

Buick has had some great performance cars over the years but that was never their first line specialty. GM has other divisions to offer performace as in Pontiac. The time has come for each division to make a place for it's self and stop stealing sales from each other. It is time to work as a unit with each division having it own special job and take sales form other companies.

The more defined Buick becomes the more it is needed. If it tries to be all things to all people it will fail. It is time to let them do what they do best. I think it is time for a new Electra 225.

Exactly. The P-B-GMC amalgamation should give Detroit some breathing room and allow the products to be spread out better. Buick has no business competing with the Malibu, IMO. Let Chevrolet occupy the lower and middle stratus, while Pontiac can be the sportier division and Buick go after the traditionalists who don't think a soft ride is sacrilege. I am still not sure where the hell Saab and Saturn fit into all this.

I think your right, but it has been talked about. Nothing would be more exciting than to see one true performance Buick much like Chevy has the Vette and SS Series. *Is Chevy suppose to be sales performance or zero to sixty numbers? Just checking!* I think a modern day GNX with the turbo D.I. V6 along with a new Regal, Riv and Enclave would be just the ticket to getting Buick back on the board. Lexus has a performance car the ugly SC. Sell only 1000 or 2000 each year sounds like a plan to me.

My only issue with this is to question if GM knows the requirements of suspension/handling on a comfortable luxury car like a Lexus or a Mercedes. We are talking about primo isolation, but not a car that doesn't offer any kind of feedback. We are talking about solidarity in the suspension and a car that soaks up bumps, not a suspension that floats and wallows back and forth and does all kind of nose diving. The prerequisite for this kind of market is advanced everything, so thank God W and G-body are going the way of the dodo, and we can finally look forward to new platforms with newly designed suspension pieces, and advanced design thinking for the shape and comfort of the interior. There are too many things GM has done wrong in the past that they just need to get away from if they are to be considered seriously alongside imports in the luxury realm.

My only issue with this is to question if GM knows the requirements of suspension/handling on a comfortable luxury car like a Lexus or a Mercedes. We are talking about primo isolation, but not a car that doesn't offer any kind of feedback. We are talking about solidarity in the suspension and a car that soaks up bumps, not a suspension that floats and wallows back and forth and does all kind of nose diving. The prerequisite for this kind of market is advanced everything, so thank God W and G-body are going the way of the dodo, and we can finally look forward to new platforms with newly designed suspension pieces, and advanced design thinking for the shape and comfort of the interior. There are too many things GM has done wrong in the past that they just need to get away from if they are to be considered seriously alongside imports in the luxury realm.

I'm a fan of Buick but that wasn't exactly an inspiring or informative interview. I don't care for the Park Ave in its current skin anyways. Make it look more graceful like the Enclave and then give me a holler when its come out of the oven.

One thing Buick needs to do if it wants to compete with Lexus is fix some of the shortcomings on the Lucerne (what a dull, meaningless name for car with such a nice exterior design; I guess it would be marketing suicide to change the name at this point). The two major shortcomings of this car are the antiquated engine and outclassed transmission. This car needs the 3.6 liter V6 and six speed automatic transmission from the Enclave (the current V6 and four speed transmission are terribly outdated in the near luxury field). It could offer the direct injection version as an upgrade engine. As far as I can tell, the Lucerne is currently Buick's best seller and has a few more years left to its model cycle; why not give it the goods (engine/transmission) to truly compete in its field and finish its run in glory.

As far as the LaCrosse; let's just hope the redesigned Epsilon II midsize sedan is well on its way (please change the name when the new car arrives; Regal or LeSabre would do just fine). I hope this car will have an expressive, yet elegant exterior and interior design with competitive engines, transmissions, and safety systems. It would be nice to see a great brand like Buick have a truly competitive product in the near luxury midsize class and beat the brains out of the Lexus ES, Lincoln MKZ, and Acura TL.

Buick might want to consider a five seat near luxury crossover built on the 2008 Saturn Vue platform. Give it a great design like the Enclave (whoever designed the exterior and interior of this vehicle - GREAT JOB!; it looks great) and you should have another winner on your hands. Please do not give it the Saturn exterior with minor badge engineered changes, Buick deserves better than a badge engineered retread. If this vehicle were designed and engineered correctly, it would be great competition for the five seat crossovers at Lexus, Lincoln, and Acura (sorry, I couldn't remember all the meaningless letter series model names that these brands give their products). You could give it the Rainier or Rendezvous names (or as another person has suggested in these forums, call it Invicta).

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the styling of the Chinese Park Avenue at first; but upon further inspection, it looks better (I would still like to see a different design for our version). If the Chinese version is the design that the U.S. version of the Park Avenue will have, please change the Impala-esque tail lights (they are fine for Chevrolet, not for Buick). This car should be positioned as the flagship car of the Buick brand (just like the previous Park Avenue).

In the future, I would love to see the Riviera return as a halo car for the brand. I'm not sure exactly what configuration this vehicle will take (high end 2 door coupe/convertible; maybe a four door coupe like the Mercedes CLS?), but it needs to have show-stopping styling and great performance. I know this is not a priority for GM at the moment; but if they get the fuel efficiency issue straightened out, it would be great to see the historic Riviera name return attached to an awesome vehicle.

To end this post on a positive note: if the Enclave is a preview of what we can expect out of Buick in the future, I can't wait. The Enclave is gorgeous and competitive. Again, JOB WELL DONE BUICK AND GM!

Edited by cire

Ah no-one knows what is happening with the G! I hope we get another large world class FWD to replace it for the Lucerne and DTS. Two sales sucesses fleet or not that cannot be ignored. Only around a 1/4 DTS's go to fleets that is not to bad.

The Enclave is a look at the future of what Buick is to be.

Quiet, elegant, drives well, etc.

The fact is Buick has been an old persons car for a long time. They are doing things to lower this but it will never be a car the 2 Twenty something would comsider. GM has the need to get them in there late 30's or early 40's while retaining the older crowd.

They will make this car drive as responsive and not like a 1955 Century. But on the other hand do not expect a CTSv. It needs to be sporting but not sporty.

Also to get a premium price they need to step up the engines and trannys to near Cadillac class.

I spent a week with the Lucerne and the 3800 was just the wrong engine for this car. It drove well but people that look in this class want nothing less than something like the 3.6 DI.

If your going to pander quality your going to have to offer some quality.

Also on the interior Buick needs to offer some useful inovations. Nothing too technical for the older crowd but technical enough for the younger buyers.

The back up sensores and blind spot sensores are things many expect and need to be standard. I would pass on the parks it's self crap. The steering head lights and theat kind of tech plays well in this group.

The Enclave is a show case of where the interior goes and over all what all new Buicks should exhibit in all future models.

Fianally if the Riv is to come back it need the visual impact and driving impact of what the 1963 Riv had on the market. It needs to be a clean styling that will hold up and make it stand out as your halo car. Folding hard top optional.

Edited by hyperv6

The future of Buick looks a bit skimpy; after the Enclave they get the Epsilon 2 Lacrosse (still 2 years away), and then the Zeta Lucerne replacement. That's all at the moment. I know they're just treating Buick as a part of BPG, but that's not enough product IMO. They need a crossover smaller than the Enclave, along with a coupe or convertible or something...

The future of Buick looks a bit skimpy; after the Enclave they get the Epsilon 2 Lacrosse (still 2 years away), and then the Zeta Lucerne replacement. That's all at the moment. I know they're just treating Buick as a part of BPG, but that's not enough product IMO. They need a crossover smaller than the Enclave, along with a coupe or convertible or something...

What about the Excelle replacement?

in addition to a luxury small crossover, a small upscale sedan competing with the TSX and S40 in pricing [starting around 20k-28k] based on Alpha would be nice, and the coupes and convertibles are an absolute necessity!!.......just one of each is what is most needed right now to fully transform Buick into some kind of multi-dimensional premium car company. Eventually, when money is readily available, I'd like to see the platforms leveraged better across the board: like a large people mover shaped more like a minivan/R-class would be cool [wouldn't be a problem to me if it was based on Lambda, give Buick two Lambdas, after all that was the plan with the vans], as well as a 2+2 roadster to counter the SC430 [based on extended y-body, or kappa?]...like the Bengal..... Edited by turbo200

The Enclave is a look at the future of what Buick is to be.

Quiet, elegant, drives well, etc.

The fact is Buick has been an old persons car for a long time. They are doing things to lower this but it will never be a car the 2 Twenty something would comsider. GM has the need to get them in there late 30's or early 40's while retaining the older crowd.

They will make this car drive as responsive and not like a 1955 Century. But on the other hand do not expect a CTSv. It needs to be sporting but not sporty.

Also to get a premium price they need to step up the engines and trannys to near Cadillac class.

I spent a week with the Lucerne and the 3800 was just the wrong engine for this car. It drove well but people that look in this class want nothing less than something like the 3.6 DI.

If your going to pander quality your going to have to offer some quality.

Also on the interior Buick needs to offer some useful inovations. Nothing too technical for the older crowd but technical enough for the younger buyers.

The back up sensores and blind spot sensores are things many expect and need to be standard. I would pass on the parks it's self crap. The steering head lights and theat kind of tech plays well in this group.

The Enclave is a show case of where the interior goes and over all what all new Buicks should exhibit in all future models.

Fianally if the Riv is to come back it need the visual impact and driving impact of what the 1963 Riv had on the market. It needs to be a clean styling that will hold up and make it stand out as your halo car. Folding hard top optional.

more tech is needed to play in the field, but even more important is the pretension of quality. and this comes from innovative interiors with great design and better quality. innovative design. it is time for GM to stand at the forefront and be a leader in cool design, rather than always a follower. they are not and have not been regarded as trendsetters...probably since those times back in the '60's, '70's, and maybe '80's that everyone here is so fond of. we are not in those times anymore, and unfortantely when it comes to the definition of GM design, many people think cheap, unfinished, left behind, behind the times....you get the picture. the interior of a car is as ever important to the whole thought of the idea behind the car itself. who are we catering to? what do they like to buy? will they spend a lot of time in those seats? besides blaring the radio, will they like to see a "pretty environment"? are they more about hardcore driving and less inconveniences, or do they want lots of flair and less of a streamlined, say BMW, look?

you get the point....GM interiors have to show a lot more thought, a lot more flair, a lot more of a special feel than now....if they want to get competitive.

more tech is needed to play in the field, but even more important is the pretension of quality. and this comes from innovative interiors with great design and better quality. innovative design. it is time for GM to stand at the forefront and be a leader in cool design, rather than always a follower. they are not and have not been regarded as trendsetters...probably since those times back in the '60's, '70's, and maybe '80's that everyone here is so fond of. we are not in those times anymore, and unfortantely when it comes to the definition of GM design, many people think cheap, unfinished, left behind, behind the times....you get the picture. the interior of a car is as ever important to the whole thought of the idea behind the car itself. who are we catering to? what do they like to buy? will they spend a lot of time in those seats? besides blaring the radio, will they like to see a "pretty environment"? are they more about hardcore driving and less inconveniences, or do they want lots of flair and less of a streamlined, say BMW, look?

you get the point....GM interiors have to show a lot more thought, a lot more flair, a lot more of a special feel than now....if they want to get competitive.

Just comparing the Enclave interior to the Lucern Both are improved and the Enclave is the first compstitive interior Buick has had in years.

Also mix in the fact it really seats 8-9 people and not just say it will.

I see more technology is coming and we do not even have to woory about it being there we just need to worry that it is relivant and useful. BMW went to I Drive and most have hated it and it has far from being a selling point. Pther scre ball ideas as self parking cars also just don't get it.

I would love to see Buick to be the first with a easy to use onboard computer system to down load internet, MP's and Movies. This system can also be programed to start your car 5 min before you leave work to cool the AC or keep you records on service. Heck you can google on a trip to find some place!

Technology for the sake of technology is worthless. Even the nigh vision while a good idea just did not jive with the public.

Most would be thrilled to have a clock that sets to Daylight Savings TIme or TIme ZOnes automaticly.

Edited by hyperv6

Just comparing the Enclave interior to the Lucern Both are improved and the Enclave is the first compstitive interior Buick has had in years.

Also mix in the fact it really seats 8-9 people and not just say it will.

I see more technology is coming and we do not even have to woory about it being there we just need to worry that it is relivant and useful. BMW went to I Drive and most have hated it and it has far from being a selling point. Pther scre ball ideas as self parking cars also just don't get it.

I would love to see Buick to be the first with a easy to use onboard computer system to down load internet, MP's and Movies. This system can also be programed to start your car 5 min before you leave work to cool the AC or keep you records on service. Heck you can google on a trip to find some place!

Technology for the sake of technology is worthless. Even the nigh vision while a good idea just did not jive with the public.

Most would be thrilled to have a clock that sets to Daylight Savings TIme or TIme ZOnes automaticly.

being first in any tech doesn't mean anything, and neither does having the best tech available. it's a good thing to have on your side, however.

most importantly is the quality and design impression one gets from the look inside and out, as it applies to luxury cars. if buick wants to be a luxury car it has go far beyond lucerne interior for stylishness and quality. enclave is going forward, i agree with you on that. though enclave is finely crafted, i wouldn't call it the most original, daring, or provactive interior in its class. to get people to really switch sides and run to GM to see what they are offering, we need dramatic interior and exterior design that has not been seen before. on a par with the shanghai riviera concept in terms of stunning uniquenss and useability. enclave has a lot of things going for it, and it's one of the first no excuses car from GM in a long while, but with that I still find the interior somewhat dull and uninspiring. not totally dull, but there is room for improvement. i remember seeing a sneak peak at a trailblazer MCE interior long ago [the one that got cancelled], and that was anything but dull. the cts interior is anything but dull, its design truly reaches for expression and richness, but it also is playing catch up. the problem is the competition is moving fast.

I don't mean first as the very first but just as I stated "first with a easy to use" The key is easy to use and relivent technology.

As for styling we need something with soul. A design you feel as much see. Just do not give us anything cartoonish.

You need to use some caution here as while you want to bring in younger and new buyers you can't run off the old buyers. If you do run off the old and your "daring, or provactive" new cars fail you will be left with nothing.

I agree. I don't like that Buick's brand isn't a stand alone dealership anymore. But having said that, I think Buick can survive in it's current form with the a new LaX, the Enclave, and Park Avenue. However, I really think that a halo is needed, like the Velite; a grand touring coupe to symbolize the brand. The Lucerne needs to go away after the current version (and DTS) dies. The Zeta Park Avenue should come over in it's next form (one that isn't brand engineered); I love the Invicta name, but keeping the Park Avenue name for the flagship is fine with me. I think the EPII LaX replacement should come back under the Regal badge, and make it a true ES350 compeitior (that means leather standard, et' all). Ideally, I'd love to see a sedan put inbetween the flaghip (S-Class/LS460L size) and the EPII LaX sedan, but I understand if one isn't offered. Also, a very unique Theta based SUV that is totally unique and shares no panels with other Thetas would be nice.

How about a Skyhawk Delta II and a Skylark Alpha? One for the Jetta/S40/V50/TSX crowd, another for the BMW 3-Series/Lexus IS set? I see those entry-luxury-sports compacts as different segments, as the Skyhawk-type rivals are front-drive mostly with 4-cylinder engines and the latter with higher-powered V-6's? And of course, merge the Enclave and Riviera concept stylings together, see what you get. A Rapid (more luxurious Saturn VUE, using its Theta II architecture) would be perfect as well.

I agree with Lutz. The China Park Ave is not better looking that our cars such as the Lucerne. The interior may be better but so is the price. The exterior is a total yawner IMO with very plain styling, no port holes, too little chrome, no bodyside trim or curves etc. This plain blah boring generic look as featured by Lexsucks has no business on a Buick and it worries me that that brand is the benchmark for such a great car division as Buick. If anything the great days of the 60's, 70's and even 80's needs to be revisted for some styling cues such and horizontal taillights, chrome and over sized Buick grilles. Leave Volkswagon taillights, blah Asian slab side styling, look alike cookie cutter cars etc to Toyota.

I agree the days of selling cheap Centurys to drivers who never go over 45mph are long over. They would say "I got a Buick for a Chevy price", but then the Century was just a Lumina with more chrome. No one under 71 really admired the cars. And the super old 1990's A bodies certainly hurt the brand more, with it's Chevy Citation chassis that should have died with day-glo shorts. The interiors were like a nursing home waiting room, too.

Buick might want to consider a five seat near luxury crossover built on the 2008 Saturn Vue platform. Give it a great design like the Enclave (whoever designed the exterior and interior of this vehicle - GREAT JOB!; it looks great) and you should have another winner on your hands. Please do not give it the Saturn exterior with minor badge engineered changes, Buick deserves better than a badge engineered retread. If this vehicle were designed and engineered correctly, it would be great competition for the five seat crossovers at Lexus, Lincoln, and Acura (sorry, I couldn't remember all the meaningless letter series model names that these brands give their products). You could give it the Rainier or Rendezvous names (or as another person has suggested in these forums, call it Invicta).

To end this post on a positive note: if the Enclave is a preview of what we can expect out of Buick in the future, I can't wait. The Enclave is gorgeous and competitive. Again, JOB WELL DONE BUICK AND GM!

Could not agree more! I've been thinking of a potential Acura RDX/Mercury Mariner competitor, based on the impressive 2008 VUE (short wheelbase; they could do a mid-sized Rendezvous based on Equinox/Torrent/XL7, but this should be an overriding priority first). Call it Rapid, evoking one of the original precursors of GM. The 3.6-liter V-6 would be standard, providing 260hp on Reserve models; 275 on Super (same as the Enclave), and 300hp on an all-wheel-drive-only Ultra model, all with 6-speed automatic; TAPShift II on Super/Ultra. Sound good?

LOL on the Century slam Chicagoland! I agree the A-Body ran too long, as well as the elderly person clientele (same goes for all Buicks, even with the Lucerne). When I worked at the car wash for a little while, I saw many Lucernes-all, yes, ALL-driven by senior citizens. I have seen a few younger people-twentysomethings and moms, driving Century's, what I feel is Buick's best name for a mid-size car. Biased? Maybe, because I had a 1989 beater from 2003-06-but, its been a brisk seller throughout Buick's history, have it re-replace the LaCrosse, huh?