New Car

I haven't been reading the posts here for the last few days because I have been car shopping. There are considerations in this purchase that are not necessarily automotive. So if you are in a hurry I will skip to the end and tell you that I got a 2007 HHR.

If you had asked me last week if I were likely to get a new car, I would have responded no. My wife correctly pointed out that we are too old to need a new car. It is quite depressing to think that one might never get another car. It is even more depressing to think that the reason is you might not be alive to enjoy it. Some time last week she changed her mind. She is quite unhappy with her Pontiac. She thought she would never get another American car unless some one gave it to her. My wife wanted a Toyota! I do not share the opinion of most here that Toyota is the devil incarnate or even that it is unpatriotic to buy an inexpensive Toyota (If you can afford a Lexus like my conservative friends then you can afford to buy American). I just believe GM cars are better, more economical, funner, and even "soulful".

I did leave a picture of a HHR on my computer's desktop. I did gently remind her of other GM products (a couple of Saturns and my Sonoma) that served us well. I didn't ever tell her she was wrong! By Sunday morning she saw it my way (HHR). I was too weak to deny myself a car that I really didn't need. We shopped the INTERNET; we shopped three local dealers. My wife got the color she wanted (silverstone = light gray). I know it's not a very exciting car by standards of many of you. However, the utility is good, the gas mileage is good, the ride is excellent, the power much more than adequate, and it is easy on my old knees getting in and out. The quality of the interior seems just fine to me. I am not much of a stickler on things like that. I guess most of you have some mighty nice interiors in your homes to be such connoisseurs of fit and finish. It's all more than I expect out of life.

About a year ago the GM card unfortunately surprised me with a change in card type. I assumed that my new card would have the same limits($1000 on the HHR) as others do with the normal card. Somehow, some way, GM honored my earnings from the old card without the normal limit. That meant just under $2400 in GM card rebate. GM has a rebate of $750 on the LS and $1500 on the LT. We bought the LT with the $1500 from GM and $1500 discount from the dealer. The dealer detailed the car, filled it with gas and pleasant surprise #2 included 4 free oil changes (I assume they change the filter too).

My wife and I had decided to skip the extended warranty as another dealer had quoted us $1800 and the money was coming out of our retirement accounts. Pleasant surprise #3 was that the FYI guy said that GM lowered the cost of the extended warranties because of the power train warranty was so long any way. He offered us 72 months bumper to bumper GM warranty for $1200.

AS the salesman was showing me the car's features he discovered that the remote start feature didn't work. Unpleasant surprise #1. He then proceeded to try to convince us that it was only included on the LT2. I knew that this wasn't right and told him not to worry as I would figure it out at home. Try as I might, we were unable to get it to work. There are personalization features in the drivers information center that control this feature too. Unfortunately - no luck.

I started to worry that salesman was correct and this feature was not included in my model (LT1). First thing this morning I looked for the sticker with the build codes on it. Although I failed to find it, I did find that the cover for some of the electricals next to the fuse box had fallen off. On the sticker it said Avis don't attach cable here or some such warning.

My wife and I took the car in after the morning rush. The next pleasant surprise was the service we received. A mechanic came out and replaced the black plastic "black box" cover. The assistant service manager spent over an hour reading about the car, following up on my order code explanation (I was correct in as much as it was built with the feature according to the build sticker) and he even had our salesman get an even cheaper (LS) and determined that indeed they all (automatics) come with this feature. The final resolution is that I am to bring the car back tomorrow and the mechanic will re-flash the computer to accomplish the fix. They say they are going to buy us breakfast (pleasant surprise #5?). That is probably the only give away I will not accept.

Thanks for reading this.

PS. That warning sticker to Avis was not to Avis but was rather spanish/french for warining so my new baby wasn't a rental queen but was made with me in mind. :CG_all:

Congrats on the HHR. Very cool car that I got to drive about a year ago. Much more roomy then I thought it would be.

It's funny that you posted this since I'll be getting a new car by the end of the week. A black 2007 Pontiac G6. I'm very excited.

Edited by Cadillacfan

It's funny that you posted this since I'll be getting a new car by the end of the week. A black 2007 Pontiac G6. I'm very excited.

I bet that you are! I'm still jazzed and I should be used to this by now. By the way we saw quite a few black cars and they wee beautiful but both my wife and I agree it helps to be young to maintian that shine.

The dealer and a medium blue Aveo with leather seats and wooden dash in the showroom and it was quite handsome also.

Congrats on the car. The HHR might just be my favorite GM vehicle. It has no serious flaws. The gauges could be a bit bigger, and GM electric power steering makes me nervous, but other than these things, it has a great combination of utility, power, and value.

Hey, I like the HHR! Though perhaps not 'luxurious' enough for some, its certainly worlds beyond the PT Cruiser, which is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of general construction. HHR strikes me as far more substantial and just a more handsome vehicle and I wouldn't mind one at all, especially a dark blue one with the chrome package.

And congratulations on the car, sir! And last car? Well, I certainly hope you'll look back one day and say to your wife, "Remember that old HHR?" :):cheers:

, its certainly worlds beyond the PT Cruiser, which is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of general construction. HHR strikes me as far more substantial and just a more handsome vehicle and I wouldn't mind one at all, especially a dark blue one with the chrome package.

The dealer where we purchased it did have a dark blue and it was quite handsome -- just too much heat build up and washing for us.

regarding the PT cruiser, we drove one last year when my youngest was looking for new car. It was truly disappointing.

THe HHR is way cooler than any FWD/economical Toyota... bias aside.

Congrats. Good Choice.

CONGRATULATIONS on the HHR!

Soooo...how about some pics? ;)

Posted Image

Thanks for asking.

Regarding my personal appearance(note support stockings,etc.); imagine the following. Suppose my wife and I were to go car shopping at Scion. Scion officials say that they want to be cool so therefore my kind (senior citizen) is not welcome. I could bring bottles of Milk of Magnesia to see if they fit in the storage bins. I could carry large packages of "depends" adult diapers to see if they fit in the trunk. We could travel from Scion dealer to Scion dealer at prime shopping time. I could personally turn Scion uncool. If you are familiar with the term Google omb, this would be the analogous Scion omb.

Posted Image

Thanks for asking.

Regarding my personal appearance(note support stockings,etc.); imagine the following. Suppose my wife and I were to go car shopping at Scion. Scion officials say that they want to be cool so therefore my kind (senior citizen) is not welcome. I could bring bottles of Milk of Magnesia to see if they fit in the storage bins. I could carry large packages of "depends" adult diapers to see if they fit in the trunk. We could travel from Scion dealer to Scion dealer at prime shopping time. I could personally turn Scion uncool. If you are familiar with the term Google omb, this would be the analogous Scion omb.

haypops, you look pretty Kool to me and you're going to look even Kooler in that HHR. I would buy one to replace my Chevy Equinox if only it came in AWD, you see I'm not as lucky as you, I live in Delaware where it snows, not sunny Kali, like you. If I'm ever out your way, I'll pick you and the Mrs. up for a Milk of Magnesia milkshake. :smilewide:

Congrats to you. That is good news you got your vehicle.

Thanks to you and every one for the kind wishes. I think that there is some good news for GM here too. While it is true that once one decides on a particular car one starts to notice them more, there is more to this story than that. When we were driving to the dealer for the send time, I noticed a car just like mine as I exited the freeway. Then when I pulled into the dealership a young couple was coming back from a test drive in yet another HHR. As we were seated at a table doing the paperwork, they were at the next table working on their "deal". A question arose as to whether they were buying the same car, but fortunately they choose a black one and we got the one we wanted. They were moments before us into the FYI office. once it was our turn the FYI manager said that he just finished the paperwork on another HHR at 11 PM the evening before. This is a very small dealer (Sierra auto - Monrovia CA). These cars are everywhere!

I would buy one to replace my Chevy Equinox if only it came in AWD, you see I'm not as lucky as you, I live in Delaware where it snows, not sunny Kali, like you. If I'm ever out your way, I'll pick you and the Mrs. up for a Milk of Magnesia milkshake. :smilewide:

Yummy to the M of M shake :)

By the way I was born and raised in Rhode Island so I know all about the snow. When I was younger I so wanted a three cycle Saab 95 for the traction and the unusual engine noises.

Yummy to the M of M shake :)

By the way I was born and raised in Rhode Island so I know all about the snow. When I was younger I so wanted a three cycle Saab 95 for the traction and the unusual engine noises.

I think Jay Leno has one in his video collection, I watched it sputter down the freeway with him driving it. Google Leno car videos or check on Youtube for it. :P

I think Jay Leno has one in his video collection, I watched it sputter down the freeway with him driving it. Google Leno car videos or check on Youtube for it. :P

That was great, thanks.

here is the link to his 58 Saab

By the way he mentions the free wheeling but fails to explain what it was really all about. Since this is a two stroke engine, all engine lubrication was included in the oil/gas mixture. Without freewheeling when downshifting or even on the "overrun" engine revs would rise but fuel and therefore engine oil was cut back/off. Lots of Saab engines died this way. Later oil injection was included.

Did they get the remote starter to work? Sounds like the PDI department (and salesman) dropped the ball. I always test the remote starter long before delivery. Unless they build the HHR differently for the American market, the LS does not come standard with the remote starter. It is an option. The key fob is either delivered with the "start" arrow insignia button or not.

Congrats on your choice.

Did they get the remote starter to work? Sounds like the PDI department (and salesman) dropped the ball. I always test the remote starter long before delivery. Unless they build the HHR differently for the American market, the LS does not come standard with the remote starter. It is an option. The key fob is either delivered with the "start" arrow insignia button or not.

Congrats on your choice.

The remote start is still not working. I brought the car in yesterday at 9:30 and they started working on it immediately. By noon they drove my wife and me home after we choose that option over a free car rental or having a sleep over at the dealership. :pbjtime:

About 4 in the afternoon the service writer called to say the mechanic couldn't fix it and was going to call who ever they call for help the next morning.

The LS in the US does have remote start. The assistant service manager made the salesman pull one out and try it. You are right that if the key fob has the remote start button, then it is supposed to have it. Cars without remote start have the simpler key fob. I have confidence that the problem will be resolved and that this will be the best vehicle I ever owned.

The waiting area where we hung out was actually the commercial vehicle showroom. I overheard would employ commenting to another that none of the service body vehicles (as in pickup trucks with all the bins on the sides and smallish bed) on the lot where gas instead of diesel. The second employee responded "of course not". I unfortunately didn't get to hear his reasoning. I assume that these vehicles normally drive a short distance each day to the work site and then sit as the plumber/electrician/whatever works all day. It makes little sense to invest in the cost of a diesel engine to sit rather than drive. Of course that is what I surmise. Opinions?

Glad you enjoyed it, his Saab makes the same noise as my weed whacker. :smilewide:

When I first read your post I thought that you were being a little harsh on the Saabs of my youth. Then I remembered better weed whackers are 2-cycle powered not electric. :duh:

It turns out that the cause of the malfunctioning "remote start" was a faulty BCM(body control module). Apparently it is on a national back order and isn't expected for 3 weeks. They put the car back together and I took it home. What joy to have it back. I really like this car. Yesterday I refused a free breakfast, then lunch offer. I also passed on the car entail offer as the paper work at Enterprise just didn't seem worth it. Today I took the offer of a free car wash good for a month.