Oracle of Delphi

Tammy Faye Messner dies

9 posts in this topic

RALEIGH , N.C. - Tammy Faye Messner, who as Tammy Faye Bakker helped her husband, Jim, build a multimillion-dollar evangelism empire and then watched it collapse in disgrace, has died. She was 65.

Messner had battled colon cancer since 1996 that more recently spread to her lungs. She died peacefully Friday at her home near Kansas City, Mo., said Joe Spotts, her manager and booking agent.

A family service was held Saturday in a private cemetery, where her ashes were interred, he said.

Article continues: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19891663/

I have fond memories of a children's show she had in the late 1960's when I was a little boy in Portsmouth, VA long before PTL and its scandals. I always liked her and enjoyed seeing her on The Surreal Life a few years ago.

Cancer is horrible. Our family had to watch it take two of our members. I saw parts of her Larry King interview, she was very brave. I think her son (or stepson) is a pastor at a gay church, he was on as well.

While her former husband was a scoundrel, it sounds like she was a pretty nice and tolerant person that didn't get wrapped up in the fiery inferno talk of some of her peers. RIP

. I saw parts of her Larry King interview, she was very brave.

I saw that interview also. She commented that she had gained 5 pounds of late (went rom 60 to 65 pounds??) by drinking a lot of chicken soup. That weight gain was probably water retention from the salt in the soup. It may have actually hastened her death which may have been a relief for her and her family.

I hate televangelists. HATE.

They all seem like scumbags and dirty, greedy, thieving hypocrites!

That haviong been said I do not know Tammy Faye and I do not

wish cancer on anyone.

She and Ron Jeremy earned my further respect on that Surreal Life season they were on.

Saw that recent Larry King clip, and she was a mess. She probably knew that was it.

She had a good attitude and put up a good fight through this whole ordeal. Rest in peace, Tammy Faye.

She seems (seemed) like a good hearted Southern lady, much like Dolly Parton.

I don't know much about her, but am sad about this. The gaudiness, make up and her get-ups make her unforgettable.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room