Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM debuts Personal Audio Link iPod Adaptor

Personal Audio Link iPod Adapter Now Available on GM Vehicles
Cobalt, HHR, G5, Solstice, and Sky feature new accessory
Posted Image

DETROIT – General Motors today announced its all-new “Personal Audio Link” iPod® adapter for Chevrolet HHR, Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky is now available from all Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn dealerships.

Because great cars and great tunes should travel together, the Personal Audio Link accessory was developed exclusively for iPod and specifically for use with the factory-installed audio system in GM vehicles. Affordably priced at only $159 MSRP, plus dealer installation, the system has undergone extensive validation testing to assure that it delivers the seamless performance iPod users expect from their devices.

The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, not visible to the customer once installed, uses software, and is integrated through the radio’s digital XM Satellite Radio band. This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units.

The system displays song title, artist, time and track position on the radio display, and allows song selection by genre, play list, artist and album. A unique feature of the system also allows users to easily search alphabetically through artist, album, genre, play list, podcast or audio book. And, shuffling music is a snap with Personal Audio Link.

Podcasts and audio books are no problem. Personal Audio Link enables the user to store, sort and select their favorite Podcast or audio book by title. In vehicles equipped with steering wheel audio controls, those controls will also control volume.

Once the device is installed, the customer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glove box, where the player can be safely secured and stowed. The device also charges the iPod while the vehicle is operating.

GM expects to make the device available on many of its models by the end of 2007 – meaning GM will offer one of the widest ranges of vehicle applications for iPod integration in the industry.

Because the accessory was developed and validated by GM engineers, owners of these cars can be assured that the Personal Audio Link iPod® adapter from GM won’t compromise their GM vehicle’s performance. The Personal Audio Link is also fully backed by GM’s New-Vehicle Limited Warranty, when installed by a GM dealership at the time of new vehicle delivery. If installed after delivery, coverage is for the balance of the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty, or a minimum of 12 months/12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

And with that, the iPod stronghold entrenches further into the portable media player marketplace.

I know. <_<

Pretty much as soon as my Nano turned a year old, it'd just randomly freeze for no reason... and for the past few weeks, it's doing some weird thing where it gets stuck on the 'star rating' screen... even when I change my volume. iTunes 6 is even screwing up on me.

Seeing as I won't be getting an iPod again, here's hoping GM will have something like Ford's/Microsoft's Sync.

"General Motors today announced its all-new “Personal Audio Link” iPod® adapter for Chevrolet HHR, Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky is now available from all Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn dealerships."

Damn...its jus too bad I'm not interested at all in any of those cars.

Too bad they don't offer a link for the Sansa players.

They are the second most popular and what most people go to when they get fed up with their I Pod.

You can change your own Battery for $20 and it is Windows Media MP3 friendly with drag and drop loading.

You can even load a whole movie or 2000 songs in the one I have with room to spare.

I guess I will just have to wait for the indash hard drives to arrive.

Edited by hyperv6

I adapted a 2007 radio in my 05 Cobalt , I thought the simple plug in was pretty convienient and easy . But , this new adapter addresses both complaints I have with mine ...which is charging while plugged in , and the current way doesnt display the ipod info on the radio screen .

Way to go GM , this is awesome .