Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Published 07/30/07, 11:46 am et

AT A GLANCE:
FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS
Canyon refreshed

Acadia refreshening likely
Sierra refreshed

Small crossover debuts

----------------------

Crossover: A compact crossover will be added for the 2011 model year. Essentially, the vehicle will replace the Pontiac Torrent under the Buick-Pontiac-GMC sales channel strategy. GMC's mission will be marketing trucks; Pontiac's, strictly cars.

Acadia: GM likely will freshen the Acadia crossover for the 2010 model year; a V-8 engine may be added.

Envoy: As GM puts more emphasis on the Acadia, especially in terms of fuel economy, the Envoy likely will suffer the same fate as the Chevrolet TrailBlazer - it will fade away. No time frame has been set.

Yukon/Yukon XL: A hybrid Yukon SUV is planned for the 2008 model year. The Yukon and Yukon XL will be restyled and re-engineered for the 2012 model year.

Canyon: Despite selling only 23,979 Canyons in 2006, GM says dealers still want the compact pickup. A freshening will come for the 2009 model year.

Sierra: A freshening is planned for the 2010 model year.

Minivan: GM has canceled plans for a minivan based on the mid-sized Lambda vehicle architecture.

Savana: No major changes are planned to GMC's full-sized van.

Interesting that the Sierra gets a refresh in 2010, even though it's a good-looking truck right now (maybe they're going to do something to differentiate it a little more from Ford?)...and yet, they're waiting until 2012 to do anything to the Yukon, which is a truly wimpy, dopey-looking vehicle.

They really ought to drop the canyon and just let chevy have the little truck.

GMC needs to take the Canyon and focus on the premium sales for a Twin Turbo performance version like the Syclone! That truck truly Rocked!!! Chevy NEVER built anything that was as cool or performed like that in a mini truck. :ohyeah:

i got a colorado, as far as the gmc canyon goes, there needs to be something besides GMC on the front that warrents the nearly 2 grand more price tag bewteen it and the colorado that is equally equipped. the syclone idea is a go in my book those things are nasty.

Interesting that the Sierra gets a refresh in 2010, even though it's a good-looking truck right now (maybe they're going to do something to differentiate it a little more from Ford?)...and yet, they're waiting until 2012 to do anything to the Yukon, which is a truly wimpy, dopey-looking vehicle.

They really ought to drop the canyon and just let chevy have the little truck.

I have to disagree with you about the Yukon and Canyon.

The Yukon is a pretty good looking vehicle. I didn't particularly like the headlamps they used, but they aren't that bad. This model is still class leading and I don't expect anyone else to challenge them here for a while.

As for they Canyon, they should either keep it or get rid of the Colorado as well. Chevy doesn't share this model with any other brands, so they'll take whatever volume GMC can give them. What they should do is focus on the interior. People don't just buy compact pickups to have a less expensive truck (the work truck versions of the 900s are pretty cheap) but rather, to have a less expensive truck that actually has some amenities.

Well, IMO the GMC Canyon is the real turd of the GMC group. With it's 90s exterior styling and it's craptastic interior, the Canyon is a product of GM of yore!!

If GMC suppose to be "Professional Grade" and upscale from Chevy, then the Canyon needs alot of work.

There is still a place in it's lineup for a small truck but it must fit into the GMC purpose theme. Professional Grade!!!

As for they Canyon, they should either keep it or get rid of the Colorado as well. Chevy doesn't share this model with any other brands, so they'll take whatever volume GMC can give them. What they should do is focus on the interior. People don't just buy compact pickups to have a less expensive truck (the work truck versions of the 900s are pretty cheap) but rather, to have a less expensive truck that actually has some amenities.

actually doesnt isuzu have the carbon copies of these trucks called the the I370 and the I290? every once in a blue moon i see an isuzu badged colorado on the interstate or highway.

They do need to upgrade the smaller pickups, the Japanese seem to make better ones. The Tacoma and Nissan Frontier sell pretty well and do well in magazine write ups. I think they made the Lambda's too big and too close in size to the GMT900s. The Lambdas are so heavy they'll need a V8, then they are back to 16/20 mpg SUV like they had with the Envoy. The smaller SUV they make will probably have to straddle classes, because the Escape and CRV class are under 180 inches in length, the Edge and RX350 are about 186. The Envoy is 190, the Lambdas are over 200. So I wonder where they will slot the new SUV, they should probably go small since that is where the market is, but then they might have a 20 inch length difference from small to medium SUV, and a 1 inch difference from medium to large.

Crossover: A compact crossover will be added for the 2011 model year. Essentially, the vehicle will replace the Pontiac Torrent under the Buick-Pontiac-GMC sales channel strategy. GMC's mission will be marketing trucks; Pontiac's, strictly cars.

Good move!

Acadia: GM likely will freshen the Acadia crossover for the 2010 model year; a V-8 engine may be added.

So long as it doesn't but heads with the Enclave Super

Canyon: Despite selling only 23,979 Canyons in 2006, GM says dealers still want the compact pickup. A freshening will come for the 2009 model year.

Hopefully it'll be more than just a Colorado now...

• 4 weeks later...

Two ideas for the Canyon, Syclone-style:

Canyon SP - a dropped, monochrome edition with standard five-cylinder power and unique trim all around. (The "looks" version.)

Canyon SPX - the same, but with either (a) a twin-turbo 3.5 five-cylinder or (b) a 6.0 V8. Either way, I want at least 350hp under the hood. Standard AWD would also be nice. (This, of course, is the "go" edition.)

See also my plans for GMC's version of the Holden Ute, on page seven of that hotly contested topic within this section of the forum.

• 5 months later...
Well, IMO the GMC Canyon is the real turd of the GMC group. With it's 90s exterior styling and it's craptastic interior, the Canyon is a product of GM of yore!!

If GMC suppose to be "Professional Grade" and upscale from Chevy, then the Canyon needs alot of work.

There is still a place in it's lineup for a small truck but it must fit into the GMC purpose theme. Professional Grade!!!

Well you DO know what they say about opinions - do you own a Canyon? How do you know its NOT professional grade?

I DO own one - and I drive it daily - and I beat the sh1t out of it, and it NEVER complains - It may not be as big and bad as a Sierra - but the price was right. It's perfect for a cheap beater truck - Like the C10s of yesterday. If I spent $30,000 on a truck, I probably wouldn't use it like I use the Canyon. I spent less than half of that on the Canyon and I use it - and sometimes even abuse it - but then that's why I got the GMC option. YMMV

Well you DO know what they say about opinions - do you own a Canyon? How do you know its NOT professional grade?

I DO own one - and I drive it daily - and I beat the sh1t out of it, and it NEVER complains - It may not be as big and bad as a Sierra - but the price was right. It's perfect for a cheap beater truck - Like the C10s of yesterday. If I spent $30,000 on a truck, I probably wouldn't use it like I use the Canyon. I spent less than half of that on the Canyon and I use it - and sometimes even abuse it - but then that's why I got the GMC option. YMMV

It's a direct rebadge of a Chevy. GMC is supposed to be moving ever-so-slightly upscale from Chevy. It would be nice if the Canyon joined the rest the division (besides the Savana, for obvious reasons).

It's a direct rebadge of a Chevy. GMC is supposed to be moving ever-so-slightly upscale from Chevy. It would be nice if the Canyon joined the rest the division (besides the Savana, for obvious reasons).

Yeah I know it's the same truck as the Colorado - I don't know where everyone got the idea the the GMCs were supposed to be upscale Chevys though. I always thought the opposite was true. It seemed the work trucks were GMC Sierras and the foremans truck was always a Silverado back when it was the top trim level. I guess things change.

I'll put my 4 cylinder 2WD G80 equipped base model Canyon up against a V6 4X4 Frontier or Tacoma, job for job, road for road, trail for trail, and dollar for dollar. I could buy two trucks like mine for the price of one of those. Hell, I'll even put it up against any full size half-ton trucks. I have found it to be considerably more capable than my old '79 C10 Chevy pickup. My Canyon extended cab has more interior room, better handling, better snow and off road capability and equal or better hauling capacity. It IS professional grade. And so are the chevys.