FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS
Astra debuts
Vue restyled, re-engineered

Astra redesign possible
Aura restyled, re-engineered
Outlook freshened

Sky likely restyled, re-engineered

----------------------

It might be a slight exaggeration to say that Saturn is Opel's U.S. brand.

But GM is clearly sticking with its strategy to give Saturn a European flavor.

Astra: GM will replace the Ion with an imported model, a rebadged Opel Astra. Essentially, most Opels and Saturns are identical vehicles.

The 2008 Saturn Astra will go on sale at the end of the year for about $16,000. That's a $3,500 jump from the 2007 Saturn Ion 2 sedan, the base model. Three- and five-door models are expected and possibly a four-door sedan.

GM wants to assemble the next-generation Astra in Lordstown, Ohio. GM wants to begin producion in 2009 for the 2010 model year.

AURA: Executives hope a hybrid Aura debuting for the 2008 model year stimulates sales. Saturn sold only 27,229 Auras from January through June. It is supposed to be one of Saturn's core vehicles.

But other than a hybrid, no significant changes are planned until the next-generation Aura arrives for the 2010 model year. The car will be restyled and developed on GM's re-engineered Epsilon 2 front-wheel-drive architecture. The 2010 Aura will be longer and wider than today's car.

Despite the high praise that journalists gave the Opel GTC concept unveiled this year at the Geneva auto show, GM has no plans to offer an Aura coupe based on the concept. Some journalists viewed a potential Saturn version as a serious competitor to the Nissan Altima and possibly the Infiniti G37 coupes. An Aura wagon aimed at the Subaru Legacy Outback is no longer planned, either.

SKY: While the Pontiac Solstice adds a fastback coupe, the Sky will continue with one model, a two-passenger convertible. GM will likely re-engineer and reskin or restyle the Sky for the 2011 model year.

VUE: The restyled, re-engineered 2008 Vue went on sale this past spring.

OUTLOOK: A freshening is scheduled for the 2010 model year.

RELAY: Saturn drops its minivan during the 2008 model year

AURA: Executives hope a hybrid Aura debuting for the 2008 model year stimulates sales. Saturn sold only 27,229 Auras from January through June. It is supposed to be one of Saturn's core vehicles.

Despite the high praise that journalists gave the Opel GTC concept unveiled this year at the Geneva auto show, GM has no plans to offer an Aura coupe based on the concept. Some journalists viewed a potential Saturn version as a serious competitor to the Nissan Altima and possibly the Infiniti G37 coupes. An Aura wagon aimed at the Subaru Legacy Outback is no longer planned, either

Looks like GM is already beginning to give up on the Aura...

Not good at al!

That 3 grand premium on the Asstra is a mistake!!! Especially if there is no sedan. Note to GM : AMERICA DOESN'T FANCY HATCHES!!!

And about the coupe, that market is going to fizzle anyway. I'm just happy Altima and Accord can sell while this fad is hot, while the BSolara is DEAD!

And no Wagon Aura? Surely the next gen Signum should make it in America. I think that car's pretty hot.

That 3 grand premium on the Asstra is a mistake!!! Especially if there is no sedan. Note to GM : AMERICA DOESN'T FANCY HATCHES!!!

They're bringing so few over, and there's enough people salivating over them that they'll do ok... for the stopgap product they are. The next gen is near, and will surely be built on this continent, and include a sedan.

And about the coupe, that market is going to fizzle anyway. I'm just happy Altima and Accord can sell while this fad is hot, while the BSolara is DEAD!

And no Wagon Aura? Surely the next gen Signum should make it in America. I think that car's pretty hot.

Then why is the Rabbit doing so well? or the rather expensive Fit? The Caliber may be a wagon, but it's marketed as a hatch, and does ok for a Dodge.

Then why is the Rabbit doing so well? or the rather expensive Fit? The Caliber may be a wagon, but it's marketed as a hatch, and does ok for a Dodge.

Because the Rabbit starts at 15 grand. And the fit and caliber at 14 grand. STARTING that high is a stupid, stupid mistake. And when was the Rabbit EVER doing well? Let alone the ugly a sin Caliber. It's just stupid.

The Astra needs to have a premium. It is a premium car compared to the Cobalt, so it should have a higher pricetag. I think the Astra will do well, even being a hatch. It is one of the only hatches I like, and it will probably get good gas mileage. I believe the Astra is a size class up from the Rabbit and Fit also, and will be better all around than the Caliber.

The Astra is one hot looking hatch. My only concern is that the only engine offered is a 1.8L version of the European Ecotec rated at 140 HP/124 ftlb. With 0-60 times expected in the mid 9's is not very good. They need to bring the OTC over as the Astra Redline.

For the Aura, I can't wait for the NG. I agree that the coupe is too niche and probably won't do as well. As for a station wagon, this is the first I heard that Saturn wasn't bringing over the Estate from Europe. Too bad because I thought it might have done well for people who want that carrying space but don't want an SUV. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a DI version of the 3.6 mated to a 6 speed manual for a Redline version of the Aura.

w00t Lordstown gets Astra \o/

I think it's odd though that the upscale compact has no sedan/coupe and the economy compact has no hatchback. But the Astra seems of good quality and funky enough that it might become trendy or cool or something to that affect. I'd certainly want one could I afford it.