Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Bridges, trains, and tragedy all in one

I remember well what it felt like to walk across this monster, no matter who you were you got to know vertigo quite well. It was an amazing structure in an exceptionally beautiful setting, until a tornado destroyed it in 2003.

Here's a link to some good pictures:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/15433/

Be sure to check out the view looking down!

Camino, if that shot was taken yesterday, what was the vantage point? Is what's left still open then?

This one is in upstate NY, still handling traffic as late as 1997. I have not seen it in person. (Used to be??) called Moonda:

Posted Image

I don't know how that date tag got there, the bridge is mostly gone with only short sections at either end left standing. The tornado also flattened most of the trees around the bridge, too bad as I would have loved to go back there and walked the bridge again.

I did get to see it when it was completely abandoned, as well as when they opened up access and started running the locomotive across it again as a tourist attraction. I did miss out on getting a ride across though. I'm told that , from the train, you couldn't see the bridge at all making it like riding through open sky.

I would like to have done that.

Those bridges remind me of one I walked across w/ some friends in 2000 over the Genesee River in Letchworth State Park in western New York. Beautiful place.

The thing I can't get over in these pictures is how green it is... I guess I've gotten used to the arid West and forgotten how green it is in the East....

Cool stuff.... would have loved to see it.

You guys ever heard of Quechee Gorge in Vermont?

I drove my Datsun there in the middle of the night

on a spontaneous roadtrip after a bad fight w/ Marcia

when we were still together.

Those bridges remind me of one I walked across w/ some friends in 2000 over the Genesee River in Letchworth State Park in western New York. Beautiful place.

The thing I can't get over in these pictures is how green it is... I guess I've gotten used to the arid West and forgotten how green it is in the East....

You've hit upon the main reason that I can never live in the West, I need the green around me.

Ditto on the green thing, although Sante Fe N.M. would be a cool place to live. Salt lake City Utah would be cool also but as an atheist/agnostic I doubt I would fit in with the Mormons.

Chris

You've hit upon the main reason that I can never live in the West, I need the green around me.

Well, it's very green up in the mountains and certainly the coastal areas.. I don't think I could be in the desert Southwest, though I do like Phoenix.

Ditto on the green thing, although Sante Fe N.M. would be a cool place to live. Salt lake City Utah would be cool also but as an atheist/agnostic I doubt I would fit in with the Mormons.

Chris

Yeah, Santa Fe is nice..I have friends nearby in Los Alamos, I go down there once a while. SLC isn't bad, I esp. like nearby Park City..but likewise, I wouldn't be happy around the Mormons, same with Bible Belt areas....