NY Times Buick Enclave Review: A Winner!

buickguy

I second everyone's comments, and add this.

I finally got my Suburban-loving-driving mother out to see and drive the GM Lambda trio: Outlook then Acadia then Enclave. When you can even do those 3 in succession, and the SECOND she gets in the driver's seat and is barely out of the parking lot saying things like "Wow, I love this. This is a lot nicer than the other two we just drove...then proceeds to get on the street, highway, and back to the street without saying a word and just smiling...it is a definite winner. Trust me, it takes a lot for a reaction like this.

There's something special not only about the Lambdas, but really so about the Enclave...and like reviewers have said, it's a new ball game, and if they can just embody what makes the Enclave so impressive in the form of a sedan and even a smaller crossover, and KEEP THEM CHANGING/COMING, Buick will truly, finally be a leader in the market and recognized for it.

Edited by caddycruiser

I am going to throw my Canadian perspective into the ring here: how the f%$k does GM justify charging $38k for an Acadia up here when the $C just hit .97 U.S.??? We are getting ripped off like crazy. Perhaps if GM stopped charging $80k for the Corvette and $60k for the LTZ Tahoe they might regain lost market share up here and reverse the tide against Toyota and Honda.

Or do they think Canada is stupid enough to finance their renaissance in the U.S.?

I am going to throw my Canadian perspective into the ring here: how the f%$k does GM justify charging $38k for an Acadia up here when the $C just hit .97 U.S.??? We are getting ripped off like crazy. Perhaps if GM stopped charging $80k for the Corvette and $60k for the LTZ Tahoe they might regain lost market share up here and reverse the tide against Toyota and Honda.

Or do they think Canada is stupid enough to finance their renaissance in the U.S.?

Canadian incomes were not adjusted with the rise of the Canadian Dollar. The vehicles still cost the same for Canadians now as they did back with the Canadian dollar was .6 or even .8 to the US dollar.

Canadian incomes were not adjusted with the rise of the Canadian Dollar. The vehicles still cost the same for Canadians now as they did back with the Canadian dollar was .6 or even .8 to the US dollar.

What do 'incomes' have to do with it? I am talking about a Corvette coupe that sells for, what $45k in the U.S? Our dollar is nearly at par, so shouldn't the 'Vette be $46k here? No, they are more like $70k still. Somebody is making money off us. The LTZ Tahoe stickers for $56k here - what does it sell for in the U.S.?

What do 'incomes' have to do with it? I am talking about a Corvette coupe that sells for, what $45k in the U.S? Our dollar is nearly at par, so shouldn't the 'Vette be $46k here? No, they are more like $70k still. Somebody is making money off us. The LTZ Tahoe stickers for $56k here - what does it sell for in the U.S.?

Uhm.. How do you think manufacturers make profit with exports and in foreign markets? Should GM adjust the price of Opels or Vauxhalls when the Exchange rate changes? What about Holdens? GM didn't recently raise their vehicle prices because of the exchange rate. The vehicles were already priced that high.

Canada's local economy didn't change because of the exchange rates. Buyer Income didn't change because of exchange rates. The only difference is instead of US citizens trying to buy "gray market" vehicles from Canada, Canadians now want to buy "gray market" vehicles from the US.

One thing to remember the costs of doing business, including manufacturing, in Canada has dramatically increased with the exchange rate.

Uhm.. How do you think manufacturers make profit with exports and in foreign markets? Should GM adjust the price of Opels or Vauxhalls when the Exchange rate changes? What about Holdens? GM didn't recently raise their vehicle prices because of the exchange rate. The vehicles were already priced that high.

Canada's local economy didn't change because of the exchange rates. Buyer Income didn't change because of exchange rates. The only difference is instead of US citizens trying to buy "gray market" vehicles from Canada, Canadians now want to buy "gray market" vehicles from the US.

One thing to remember the costs of doing business, including manufacturing, in Canada has dramatically increased with the exchange rate.

But the 'Vette is built in the States., to use one example.......If it was priced at $C65k two years ago when the $C was at .80, shouldn't the price have come down, like 20%? GM of Canada has to 'buy' the vehicles from GM of America in CANADIAN DOLLARS, which have risen in value by 50%. I understand that manufacturers cannot adjust their prices for every single penny that our two currencies fluctuate - but, HELLFIRE, our currency is up nearly 50%!! The media here is finally awakening to this fact and starting to raise a stink. American manufacturers are not adjusting their prices and are, in fact, gouging us.

This is one of the reasons that our price of gasoline has only gone up 10% in the last couple years: since the world market prices oil in US dollars, and the Canadian dollar has risen almost as fast as the price of oil (in fact, BECAUSE of the price of oil, largely), we have been shielded by the doubling of the price of a barrel of oil. If our dollar hadn't risen so much, we would be paying $1.60 a litre, instead of .98. Still, that's too high, considering we are a net exporter of oil.

I understand what you are saying because I live close to the border and travel to Victoria and Vancouver often. It's become relatively expensive for just a 'weekend getaway' since, as you have stated, the prices have not adjusted to compensate for the exchange rate between us.

The thing is, you're looking at it from an internal business perspective. From the buyer's perspective, nothing has changed. The Corvette still costs the same as 2 years ago and so does the LTZ Tahoe. I would think GM could lower the invoice to allow dealerships more room for negotiating a sale or possibly provide internal bonuses/kick-backs for vehicles sold.

What, though, when the Canadian dollar drops out again?

Something to consider... the adoption of a North American Common Currency similar to the Euro... where Mexico, Canada, and the US switch over to a common currency. It's been proposed before, and I expect it to come up again with the inflation of the Canadian Dollar.

Currently, this is one of the benefits of doing business across borders. Sometimes the exchange rate isn't in your favor... other times it is. Yes, GM is making more profit on Canadian sold vehicles than before. Expenses have gone up too. I can only hope, for GM's sake, that the increase in profits outweigh the increase of expenses.