Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

BMW resale

CMG

It's NOT "so cheap"... it has over 100K miles!

I wish BMWs had bad resale, I'd buy Julie a late 5-sereies wagon.

The 1.9L is the 4 cylinder model. The 2.8L 6 cylinder would add $2k+ in USD to the resale value. Then the age and mileage.

Other people have been telling him $30,000ish for a late 90s car. I thought something must be wrong for a Z3 to be under $14,000 Canadian.

I sent him this link, he's going to look at it, it's a 2005 with 23,000km on it. $12,000 worth of mods which is almost exactly what he wanted to do to one anyways.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/409430233.html

Is this common? What is it that I am not seeing here, can a BMW guy point it out? My buddy is looking for one of these, and they all seem REAL cheap compared to what the cars were new.....

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/423113263.html

Why is this car so cheap?

That's actually pretty high for that car...you could find a decent condition S52 ///M-roadster for around that or maybe a little more.

I'm selling mine soon actually. The original sticker for the car was 60k, and I'll probably get around 15k for it. Keep in mind it is a 99 with 140k on it (granted, only 70k on the engine, a few thousand on the clutch, and maybe around 10k on all the suspension components which I fully upgraded, among all the other upgrades I did to it, not like I'd account for upgrades in my selling price...it just doesn't work that way).

We're actually getting my sister a "new" car today. Her IS300 was totaled when some kid rear ended her on the freeway in stopped traffic. We are picking her up probably an '02 330ci...we're looking at the mid to high teens for those in decent condition with around 50-65k on the odo.

The 1.9 was barely $30k new(ok, a bit of an exaggeration). There is a white '98 1.9 for $11k at a local dealership.

No, BMWs dont have terrible resale, in fact that Z3, in USD, is worth more than a Boxster or SLK of the same year, and a couple grand less than a Corvette.

How late? You could get an e39 528 wagon for really low teens, or under 10. E34 you're guaranteed to find anything you want cheap, other than an M5 maybe which would still be in the mid to upper teens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ditto on the wagon thing. Actually, thanks to your excitement about European cars I've started liking them again.

And a BMW wagon would be way cool.

Chris

Yup... it's been a long time coming but a BMW is most certainly in my future.

A late '80s 3-series, inline-6, 5-speed perhaps? :)

I believe resale prices are about to crash around here, particularly for the bigger engine vehicles. We have several BMWs on the lot, including a 2002 530i (with 59k km!) and it is going for $26,900 - people are taking a pass because of the 8 cylinders. At $1.02 a litre ($4.10 a US gallon) people are skittish. There is also the perception (unfounded, I believe) that there are better deals south of the border.

I also believe the economy of both our nations is worse than we are being led to believe, which could spell disaster for the prices of high end vehicles: new or used.

I believe resale prices are about to crash around here, particularly for the bigger engine vehicles. We have several BMWs on the lot, including a 2002 530i (with 59k km!) and it is going for $26,900 - people are taking a pass because of the 8 cylinders. At $1.02 a litre ($4.10 a US gallon) people are skittish. There is also the perception (unfounded, I believe) that there are better deals south of the border.

I also believe the economy of both our nations is worse than we are being led to believe, which could spell disaster for the prices of high end vehicles: new or used.

A 530i should have an inline 6 cylinder under the hood. The V8 would be a 540i. I get about 27mpg in mixed driving in my '05 330i with that same motor.

Otherwise, I agree...both governments are in denial about their respective economies.

Yup... it's been a long time coming but a BMW is most certainly in my future.

A late '80s 3-series, inline-6, 5-speed perhaps? :)

Sweet cars...still got the itch to do a LSx swap in one of 'em...

E30 Touring FTW though...

http://dualfun.emdia.fi/touring/night/images/DSC08138.jpg

Supposedly they have them in Canada and you can import them here...That would be sweet.

• 1 month later...