The Holdens are coming the Holdens are coming!!

RJB

If this is a repost go easy on me please...I'm fragile.

Bob Lutz on US Ute: "Odds are it will happen."

Posted Sep 19th 2007 9:28AM by John Neff

Filed under: Trucks/Pickups, GM, GMC, Pontiac, Australia

A few weeks ago we wrote about an email exchange between "Maximum" Bob Lutz and a GM Inside News forum member by the name of MonaroSS. In the exchange, Lutz claimed he and his colleagues were behind a move to bring the Australian-built Holden Ute to the U.S., but that "it won't be a Cheverolet." Never one to leave a quote like that hanging, Mike Levine from PickupTruck.com cornered "Maximum" Bob in California and asked if he could expound upon the status of a Stateside Ute, to which Lutz replied, "Odds are it will happen," and "We'd love to do it." Sounds promising.

In reference to his line that a Ute sold in the U.S. would not be badged a Chevrolet, Mr. Lutz added, "The Chevy product portfolio is too full to add this to it. We'd do it as either a Pontiac or GMC." Most have assumed a U.S.-spec Ute would be badged a Pontiac since from the A-pillar forward it would be identical to the forthcoming Pontiac G8 sedan, but Bob thinks a revival of the GMC Caballero might be cool, too.

If this is a repost go easy on me please...I'm fragile.

Bob Lutz on US Ute: "Odds are it will happen."

Posted Sep 19th 2007 9:28AM by John Neff

Filed under: Trucks/Pickups, GM, GMC, Pontiac, Australia

A few weeks ago we wrote about an email exchange between "Maximum" Bob Lutz and a GM Inside News forum member by the name of MonaroSS. In the exchange, Lutz claimed he and his colleagues were behind a move to bring the Australian-built Holden Ute to the U.S., but that "it won't be a Cheverolet." Never one to leave a quote like that hanging, Mike Levine from PickupTruck.com cornered "Maximum" Bob in California and asked if he could expound upon the status of a Stateside Ute, to which Lutz replied, "Odds are it will happen," and "We'd love to do it." Sounds promising.

In reference to his line that a Ute sold in the U.S. would not be badged a Chevrolet, Mr. Lutz added, "The Chevy product portfolio is too full to add this to it. We'd do it as either a Pontiac or GMC." Most have assumed a U.S.-spec Ute would be badged a Pontiac since from the A-pillar forward it would be identical to the forthcoming Pontiac G8 sedan, but Bob thinks a revival of the GMC Caballero might be cool, too.

I told you it would be GMC and the name would be Caballero, did I not? Oh ye with little faith! :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I told you it would be GMC and the name would be Caballero, did I not? :P

And they will sell 5000, maybe? The car pickup seems like a low volume novelty...I wonder if it will do better than the SSR (another answer to a question no one asked).

Edited by moltar

Why is GM so blind?

If Ford put a Cougar emblem on the current Mustang people would still call it a 'Stang.

If Dodge put a "Polara" emblem on the Viper people would still call it a Viper.

If Mercedes made a gullwing sports car & called it the CLK-R or some silly thing we'd all still call it the SL300...

Last time you saw a Factory-5, SuPerformance or Lone Star Classic kit car what did you call it?

That's right: a Shelby 427 Cobra!

Some cars/trucks are iconic, they will always be known by the public by a certain name.

It's a mistake to call this car anything but El Camino. If Bob is so worried about Chevy's portfolio, there are at least 3 or 4 models in Chevy's current lineup that are totally unnecessary. (Cobalt, Aveo should bow out and push sales to Saturn, Equinox and the coming Lambda are not needed)

I can almost live with it being a GMC, but if it comes as a Pontiac, I will not buy GM again. I won't keep giving them money if they keep screwing with Pontiac.

It's silly to get rid of the Cobalt... it's silly to insinuate that Chevy has too many models...

more models = more sales, Chevy is GM's value & volume leader.

Freekin' Stupid, if anything they should be worried about the LACK of models at Buick & Cadillac.