Column-shift manual?

4spd manual? 89 cORVETTE

4spd automatic? :)

FIRST with a:

4spd manual? 55 cHEVY

5spd manual? 75 h-BODY

4spd automatic?50'S CADILLAC WITH HYDRAMATIC TRANS

Edited by chevelle454

First GM 4-spd automatic was Olds's HydraMatic of '40 (developed by Cadillac Engineering, beginning in '32).

Not sure how many gears Olds's Automatic Safety Transmission of '37-38 had.

First GM 4-spd manual appeared in 1935 GMC light duty trucks. For cars; it was in the '57 Corvette.

First GM 4-spd automatic was Olds's HydraMatic of '40 (developed by Cadillac Engineering, beginning in '32).

Interesting...I didn't realize they had a 4spd auto that far back..I figured it would have been something in the late '80s.

Lord no, and so many make this same automatic assumption ('GM is always late to the game'). GM had a 4-spd auto well before ANYONE else. I should note tho, that it was NOT an OD trans- in this era ODs were only found on manuals.

The HydraMatic (in numerous versions) was a 4-spd up thru '64 when the HM-315 passed and the THM-400 came online (3-spd).

There was also the lighter-duty RHM 375 3-spd from '61-64.

• 2 weeks later...

First GM product with a CVT?

Last GM product with a CVT?

IIRC The only NA GM cars with a CVT transmission were the Saturn VUE and ION. I believe the VUE used it before and after the ION did. The ION debuted with either a 5 speed Aisin automatic or CVT depending on number of doors. Both were replaced with the the four speed automatic. Recently I read that the CVT was less troublesome in the ION than in the VUE.

IIRC The only NA GM cars with a CVT transmission were the Saturn VUE and ION. I believe the VUE used it before and after the ION did. The ION debuted with either a 5 speed Aisin automatic or CVT depending on number of doors. Both were replaced with the the four speed automatic. Recently I read that the CVT was less troublesome in the ION than in the VUE.

Trick question... and I'm sure the old schoolers will beat me up over this.... first CVT that I can think of would be the Dynaflow from 1948

Yeah.... my '59 Buicks's twin-turbine Dynaflow trans is a CVT by

mechanical definition, even though it was already "old" by the

time it was redesigned for '59. The tripple-turbine is more

sophisticated still, but it was not available with the 364 nailhead

in the LeSabre but limited in Invicta models & standard in E225s.