What the new Malibu should be

carman21

The Stylish all-new Malibu will sell well. I predict it will rise to 250k sales annually from its current 175k.

However, I believe this new Malibu could surpass 300k if Chevy did the following.

First, I believe that the Malibu should be the lowest priced midsizer in GM's line-up.

So, the Malibu LTZ must not surpass the Saturn Aura XR's $24,845 nor should the Malibu LS be priced above the Pontiac G6's Base model's $19,345 (Of course the G6's value model will need to be dropped). The LS & LT models come with a 4-speed automatic only and the LTZ model comes with a 6-speed automatic standard. So, How does this look?

Malibu LS $17,845

Malibu LT $19,195

Malibu LT V-6 $22,045

Malibu LTZ V-6 $24,045

The way I figure it, the Malibu has a more simple line-up that gives higher level midsizers from Pontiac, Saturn, and Buick greater breathing room. I strongly recommend that GM takes this simple changes into account at least for 2009 models. I can conceive an Impala starting at $24k but, at $26k the Impala would have shifted from targeting the Taurus & 300 to targeting the Avalon & Maxima, not to mention it hurts the Lucerne.

Tell me what you think...

Edited by carman21

The Malibu is already cheaper than the first-tiers in the segment. I'd rather see a $750 increase in price and quality. Maybe $100 to replace the black ties with something integrated, $75 for a rear seat center armrest, $75 for a rear center headrest, $200 for better door panels, $250 for a cut-n-sew dash, $50 for more precise assembly...

The Stylish all-new Malibu will sell well. I predict it will rise to 250k sales annually from its current 175k.

However, I believe this new Malibu could surpass 300k if Chevy did the following.

First, I believe that the Malibu should be the lowest priced midsizer in GM's line-up.

So, the Malibu LTZ must not surpass the Saturn Aura XR's $24,845 nor should the Malibu LS be priced above the Pontiac G6's Base model's $19,345 (Of course the G6's value model will need to be dropped). The LS & LT models come with a 4-speed automatic only and the LTZ model comes with a 6-speed automatic standard. So, How does this look?

Malibu LS $17,845

Malibu LT $19,195

Malibu LT V-6 $22,045

Malibu LTZ V-6 $24,045

The way I figure it, the Malibu has a more simple line-up that gives higher level midsizers from Pontiac, Saturn, and Buick greater breathing room. I strongly recommend that GM takes this simple changes into account at least for 2009 models. I can conceive an Impala starting at $24k but, at $26k the Impala would have shifted from targeting the Taurus & 300 to targeting the Avalon & Maxima, not to mention it hurts the Lucerne.

Tell me what you think...

I agree somewhat with your prices. If the new Malibu was a clearly superior or even competitive vehicle with some of it's target audience, which it clearly is not, then Chevy could charge 20K plus and people would buy it in droves. As it stands, this new Malibu is really just the same old GM wine in a slippery new bottle with a slightly fancier label attached. To get folks to pay 21-22K for a 4 cylinder Malibu, which is about what I would expect to see them priced at with a few options, it would need a rear seat armrest and head restraint, overhead assist grips, better cloth seat material, 180 HP 2.4 instead of the detuned 164 version of the Ecotec engine, greater body width for more interior room, better interior plastics etc. and some modern high tech options such as NAV.

I agree somewhat with your prices. If the new Malibu was a clearly superior or even competitive vehicle with some of it's target audience, which it clearly is not, then Chevy could charge 20K plus and people would buy it in droves. As it stands, this new Malibu is really just the same old GM wine in a slippery new bottle with a slightly fancier label attached. To get folks to pay 21-22K for a 4 cylinder Malibu, which is about what I would expect to see them priced at with a few options, it would need a rear seat armrest and head restraint, overhead assist grips, better cloth seat material, 180 HP 2.4 instead of the detuned 164 version of the Ecotec engine, greater body width for more interior room, better interior plastics etc. and some modern high tech options such as NAV.

I really suspect that the Malibu is merely a competitor with used Camcords not new ones. That explains why it is about a generation behind the standard for the segment. Saturn & Buick had better be up to taking on a beating the Camcord, if GM desires to win back midsize supremacy.

Yeah, I agree that I'd expect the Malibu to start covering more ground, but the real jump will come with the next gen when it's on the EPII. The Impala will be RWD and be a truer competitor with the likes of the Avalon, Maxima and 300 (and will have lower sales volumes, but a higher margin to show for it), the next LaX will likely move further up market and the G6 will be RWD and more sporty. All of that will help create market for the 'bu, but as I mentioned, that a generation off.

impala does well and i think the malibu will surprise a few folks........

I agree on both counts. The thing I find comforting is the fact the Impala is really not substantially different (that I know of) internally than the just prior design with the 4 rounds tail lights but it's selling a lot better. I take this as proof that good looking design really motivates people to buy. (I hated the just prior design which helps me make my argument.)

I am tired of waiting until the next generation anything for GM!!!

EpI wasn't a bad platform but GM just screwed it up.

This current Malibu should be a technological match for the Camry. I know the Accord & the Mazda 6 was being designed at the same time so it hard to match something you don't know about.

But, if the Camry offers it then this Malibu should offer it.

The exterior looks good enough to carry the day but the interior still comes up short on attention to details.

The amount of cut lines and the square plug in radio is not acceptable!!

Plus, not offering some pretty basic options for this segment will again make the Malibu a non-player in the hotly contested midsized segment.

I agree on both counts. The thing I find comforting is the fact the Impala is really not substantially different (that I know of) internally than the just prior design with the 4 rounds tail lights but it's selling a lot better. I take this as proof that good looking design really motivates people to buy. (I hated the just prior design which helps me make my argument.)

i've liked this impala and the prior one, but i am not big on the current one's interior. the v8 option is nice, but the impalas never got the HF v6 which is sad.

i've liked this impala and the prior one, but i am not big on the current one's interior. the v8 option is nice, but the impalas never got the HF v6 which is sad.

I agree with the current Impala interior. In some ways it's better than before but in others I find it worse. My biggest beef with the 06-08 Impala interior are as follows:

1) Hard flat seats

2) Lack of floor shifter indicators

3) Lack of telescoping wheel

4) No glove box light

5) Split folding rear seat and armrest is optional on LS and LT and should be std equipment like on most competitors

The engines are pretty good for this car and fulfill there mission as intended with low costs, good power and decent fuel economy. Refinement still needs work though and Chevy still needs to tone down the exhaust note on both V6's to make them quieter. Overall the current Impala makes a nice lower cost alternative to the new 08 Taurus or the more expensive Blandalon.