So will Toyota sales be down in October?

Camino LS6

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071026/auto_sales_outlook.html?.v=1

Toyota Motor Corp. is on track to replace Ford as the No. 2 automaker after GM in the U.S. market, based on sales in the first nine months of this year. Edmunds.com chief economist Jesse Toprak predicts Ford's sales will drop 16 percent in October, while Toyota sales will rise.

Toyota reported its third straight monthly decline in September, a string of rare losses for the automaker. Toprak says Toyota's sales will be up in October, but Merkle believes they'll be flat.

Merkle said Toyota has been hurt by declining home values and foreclosures in California, which is one of its top markets. He said Toyota also has a full line of vehicles now, including large pickups, and therefore feels more of the pain from high gas prices and slowdowns in construction.

Edited by andy82471

No because too many so-called "Americans"(Californians)are still in love with Toyota and too may so-called "Americans"(media too)want to bash away at American car companies. The swing in bias is still too great with both of the opposite coasts primarily buying imports. I think my sister and my brother in law are the last great hope on the west coast that buy GM, and not because they can get a discount from my dad. They actually like the product and will continue to buy GM.

Merkle said Toyota has been hurt by declining home values and foreclosures in California, which is one of its top markets. He said Toyota also has a full line of vehicles now, including large pickups, and therefore feels more of the pain from high gas prices and slowdowns in construction.

That's the big reason why sales will be down - $h!ty real estate markets nationwide.

What interesting in this tough market, is that GM is gaining retail share. Something they havn't seen in years. No other major manufacture has seen the kind of retail increase GM has without entering new markets (classes of vehicles).

What interesting in this tough market, is that GM is gaining retail share. Something they havn't seen in years. No other major manufacture has seen the kind of retail increase GM has without entering new markets (classes of vehicles).

Huh?

Share will be down, again, this year.

Huh?

Share will be down, again, this year.

GM retail has been up most months, many times significantly. GM might lose share in terms of retail + fleet, but that's only because it's cutting so many fleet sales. I believe the market as a whole is down so far this year, which would suggest that retail sales are down (fleet should stay the same for the most part, I would think). If GM's retail sales are up and the market's retail shares are down... well, you do the math.

No because too many so-called "Americans"(Californians)are still in love with Toyota and too may so-called "Americans"(media too)want to bash away at American car companies.

According to the commercials, Los Angeles is GMC's biggest market. I think Chevrolet makes the same claim. Meanwhile the South East region (Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, etc. is Toyota's most profitable market.

According to the commercials, Los Angeles is GMC's biggest market. I think Chevrolet makes the same claim. Meanwhile the South East region (Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, etc. is Toyota's most profitable market.

I partially agree with Toy in Florida. Bunch of snowbirds and hispanics buy those in herds.