Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

Hey, Camino...got an even better project for you

36 posts in this topic

Coolness... but... please don't tell me it has an Olds 5.7 diesel (which was available in G bodies, although I don't think it was in the El Camino.) :unsure:

I spy a '77 Chevelle/El Camino in one of those pics. :scratchchin:

Coolness... but... please don't tell me it has an Olds 5.7 diesel (which was available in G bodies, although I don't think it was in the El Camino.) :unsure:

Actually, it was.

I spy a '77 Chevelle/El Camino in one of those pics. :scratchchin:

Good eye!

But I think it is a '76.

This little wagon could be a cool project.

Cool. I always liked matte black on a car... how Dodge applies it on the Charger!

About two weeks ago I watched TIN MEN, as I do every so often to drool at all the Cadillacs in the movie.

esp. Danny DeVito's '62 CDV, the hardtop, cooler version of the Banana Boat.

I have decided that my ultimate daily driver idea would be a MB turbodiesel inline-six with a manual

transmission in a '61 Coupe deVille (white interior of course) with a pastel exterior color.

That and the '59 Buick would be the last two Post-War cars I'd ever need. :D

Damn.... that Sunbird Safari would look awsome nestled between the Datsun & Mercedes.

Looooooooooove it!

The Sunbird was based on the Monza, the Astre was based on the Vega.

Which is why the Sunbird name on this bodystyle (and front-end style) puzzles me. Must have been a transition year.

I was wondering that, too. I thought the Pontiac version of the Vega was the Astre. I thought the Sunbird was along the lines of the Monza, Skylark, and Starfire.

Which is why the Sunbird name on this bodystyle (and front-end style) puzzles me. Must have been a transition year.

You are correct sir! I pulled my book off the shelf (Standard catalog of Pontiac 1926-1995). It shows 1977 as the last year for the Astre coupe and hatchback. It appears that the wagon got folded into the Sunbird line for 1978. There's a caption in the 1979 section under a photo stating the name as "Sunbird Astre Safari station wagon". Appears to have been dropped in 1980.

You are correct sir! I pulled my book off the shelf (Standard catalog of Pontiac 1926-1995). It shows 1977 as the last year for the Astre coupe and hatchback. It appears that the wagon got folded into the Sunbird line for 1978. There's a caption in the 1979 section under a photo stating the name as "Sunbird Astre Safari station wagon". Appears to have been dropped in 1980.

Makes sense as I never saw one of these with the Sunbird snout.

Camino, how can you tell that's a '76? I cannot tell which grille mesh it has... was the bowtie in the grille only on '76s... hmmm... I think I just answered my own question.

My H/T-body memory is fuzzy. I did remember they put the Sunbird name on the T-body Vega-based wagon after the Astre name went kaput... but did they put the Monza name on Chevy's T-body wagon after Vega died in 1977?

Camino, how can you tell that's a '76? I cannot tell which grille mesh it has... was the bowtie in the grille only on '76s... hmmm... I think I just answered my own question.

My H/T-body memory is fuzzy. I did remember they put the Sunbird name on the T-body Vega-based wagon after the Astre name went kaput... but did they put the Monza name on Chevy's T-body wagon after Vega died in 1977?

It's a '76 because it has a mesh grille, the '77 has slats.

Yes, they put the Monza name on the wagon and it got the cheapo, round headlight, Monza nose.

Well, I was using the word "mesh" in general terms, yeah, there was a crosshatch mesh on the 76s and vertical bars on the '77s, for the Classic trim level, at least. Didn't they still have a base model El Camino, at least in '76, with the round headlight front end and grille of the base, non Classic Malibu? Was there a bowtie in the center of both '76 and '77 models? I thought the bowtie was omitted on 77s, at least on the Malibu... I am relying on memory.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0