LaCrosse's CXS trim dropped?

http://www.arifleet.com/Production2007/production1109.pdf

So is this dropped in lieu for the new Super? They should've dumped the bottom-feeder, Chevy-like CX and CXL trim levels, and renamed the CXS Reserve as so long-rumored. Give it velour or leather, bench or bucket seats and a much-higher power (the CTS' 258hp version) of the 3.6-liter DOHC High Feature V-6 engine.

I never understood the idea of paying extra for a normal engine with power levels that everybody else had..

Yup.

And this is just stupid. The 3.6L should be made standard for the CX/CXL, and then keep the Super trim or rename it CXS (since having one vehicle for the "super" trim by itself (since the Lucerne Super is nowhere to be found) to me is just lame).

It's a shame... because I was saying my next car is either a LaCrosse CXS or Lucerne CXL, or a Malibu LTZ.

There hasn't been an official announcement by GM so this could be misleading. This could be due to 3.6l availability or something else entirely different. As a side note, the 2008 LaCrosse CXS is still available on the Buick website.

It wouldn't surprise me that they would do something to reduce the amount of powertrain configurations though.

When does the 3800 go out of production?

There hasn't been an official announcement by GM so this could be misleading. This could be due to 3.6l availability or something else entirely different. As a side note, the 2008 LaCrosse CXS is still available on the Buick website.

It wouldn't surprise me that they would do something to reduce the amount of powertrain configurations though.

When does the 3800 go out of production?

I'd give up on asking that question, because the answer seems to change every year. Wasn't it supposed to stop for the 2007 model year? Then the 2008 model year? I think this is the year it'll end and 2009 everything will change, but guess what? I wouldn't be surprised if we had a bunch of 3800's showing up in 2010 Lucernes as they try to drain the stock.

I'd give up on asking that question, because the answer seems to change every year. Wasn't it supposed to stop for the 2007 model year? Then the 2008 model year? I think this is the year it'll end and 2009 everything will change, but guess what? I wouldn't be surprised if we had a bunch of 3800's showing up in 2010 Lucernes as they try to drain the stock.

I'll bet your actually right on this. 3800's are probably stockpiled like crazy and with the Grand Prix disappearing after the end of this year, that will make only the 2 Buick products left with this engine so there will be lots to use up with only 2 cars to put them in.

The CXS is still alive and well in Canada at least... Of course that wouldn't do Paolino any good :P

I'll be up there soon :AH-HA_wink: Now, don't get me wrong... I don't "dislike" the 3800... I just feel it's not competitive anymore. And I want what's best for the brand, and I would hope others would too.

I'll bet your actually right on this. 3800's are probably stockpiled like crazy and with the Grand Prix disappearing after the end of this year, that will make only the 2 Buick products left with this engine so there will be lots to use up with only 2 cars to put them in.

I'm kind-of depressed about this, because I was hoping the 3.6L would have become standard on the Lucerne and LaCrosse... since Buick wants to go premium, putting in a DOHC engine with a higher output would have made sense to me. I would even have accepted them keeping the 3800 around for the CX trims, but anything higher I would have liked to have seen the 3.6L

Are you sure this isn't an issue for fleet buyers only? Several models are restricted, and some available only at special request from GM Fleet. Perhaps the CXS is unavailable for fleet orders. If you want them, you have to buy retail, or settle for the 3800. How else do you limit on fleet sales?

You make a good point. I bet the CXS really doesn't bode well for fleet--they probably only get CX orders with a few CXLs thrown in.

You make a good point. I bet the CXS really doesn't bode well for fleet--they probably only get CX orders with a few CXLs thrown in.

I know some people who handle fleet accounts for GM where I live... most Fleeted Allures are CXLs, only about 30% are CXs. No mention of the CXS though. I'm guessing that with the scarce non-stockpiled engine and primo features above the CXL it's not allowed to be fleeted let alone why the rental companies would want them when the Lucerne is in the same price bracket is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...

If the Impala and LaX are going to continue longer than the GP. Putting the 3.9 in the LaX would make sense. It would also be an OK base engine for the Lucerne.

It'd make more sense to have the 3.9 in the Lucerne as the base... and run out the 3800s in the LaCrosse since they're going to have leftovers. Would like to see the 3.6L ideally in the Lucerne as a base, and optional on the LaCrosse CXL, but it's not going to happen.

Why is there this assumption that GM overproduced the 3800 in the 10s of thousands?

Cause it seems like this engine will never die. And they plan on stopping production of it this year (well, was supposed to be last year. Well, was supposed to be before that too.) and they will have this iteration of the LaCrosse around until 2009.

If the Impala and LaX are going to continue longer than the GP. Putting the 3.9 in the LaX would make sense. It would also be an OK base engine for the Lucerne.

... as long as it's the one in the Impala with AFM and the lower final drive, not the G6, which gets 15 MPG city, 22 MPG hwy.

Lucerne CX:

3800, Series III

197 hp, 227 lb-ft

3761 lbs

16/25 MPG

Impala LTZ:

3.9L, AFM

233 hp, 240 lb-ft

3,729 lbs

18/28 MPG

The 3.9's additional power and economy would make Lucerne more competitive with Avalon (268 hp, 19/28 MPG) and Taurus (265 hp, 18/28 MPG).

For the LaX base engine, the 3.5 would probably be sufficient. The Impala LT gets 18/29, and the LaCrosse is even lighter, so who knows. The 3.9 would render the current 3.6 HF pointless on paper.

Edited by empowah

... as long as it's the one in the Impala with AFM and the lower final drive, not the G6, which gets 15 MPG city, 22 MPG hwy.

Lucerne CX:

3800, Series III

197 hp, 227 lb-ft

3761 lbs

16/25 MPG

Impala LTZ:

3.9L, AFM

233 hp, 240 lb-ft

3,729 lbs

18/28 MPG

The 3.9's additional power and economy would make Lucerne more competitive with Avalon (268 hp, 19/28 MPG) and Taurus (265 hp, 18/28 MPG).

For the LaX base engine, the 3.5 would probably be sufficient. The Impala LT gets 18/29, and the LaCrosse is even lighter, so who knows. The 3.9 would render the current 3.6 HF pointless on paper.

+1, all the way.