F%@&!!!!!!!

You know... there are days I think my car doesn't like me and is trying to kill me. We had a bad snowstorm last night and the roads were crap... By the afternoon commute I was driving down the expressway @ 80KPH and all of the ice had melted. There was lots of spray and I set the wipers to "Mist". wouldn't you know it- in the middle of a busy expressway, the wipers go up and freeze in the full upright position :censored: ! I try all the wiper settings and all I get are angry motor noises from the wiper motor. Meanwhile my windshield is getting dirtier and dirtier because of the spray. Since there's nowhere for me to really pull over and turn the car off, I have to drive home like that. By the time I get going down my street- I can barely see out of my window. I got home and turned the car off and on again, and now the wipers and fluid work, they just default to full upright when the wipers are off. I'm gonna take out the fuse out tonight and re-insert to see if that resets the system...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ack, I hate when that happens. I happened to me in my '94 S-10, only I was crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4.3 miles long), at night in a driving rainstorm, and traffic was moving at like 60 mph. Yikes, so I can understand your pain. Mine was the circuit board on the wiper motor, covered under a recall.

Hey I just noticed something vonVeezel, that trim piece at the base of your windshield on the inside looks like it is not split in half... just about every Cav of your vintage down here has that piece split from temperature extremes, I'd guess.

that trim piece at the base of your windshield on the inside looks like it is not split in half... just about every Cav of your vintage down here has that piece split from temperature extremes, I'd guess.

Nope, it's in one piece... I knows how to keep the interior nice!

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Uffda, I feel for you man. Something like this happened to me last winter. I was driving in a blizzard basically in my Suburban and the snow was coming down so fast and wet that is was sticking to the windsheild and wipers. I had them on high and they still weren't keeping the windsheild clear. After traveling about 5 miles in about a half hour, the motor overheated and froze and I was still 15 miles from home. That was the $h!tiest couple hours of my life I think. Luckily they started working again by the time I was about 3 miles out of town and I made it. There was about 6 inches of snow sitting on the hood and roof by the time I got home.

Glad you made it home safe. Calgary is a cluster f**K of traffic and pretty dangerous at rush hour. I hope you get the problem fixed soon.

You can say that again! I was merging onto Crowchild going southbound from Memorial Eastbound and I slowed down to let someone in the lane next to me ahead so I could move over, as soon as the car (a Mustang) was clear, a the Camry behind me swung out from behind and prevented me from merging again. And twice in the last month, ignorant bus drivers have tried to change into my lane while I was still in it!

You can say that again! I was merging onto Crowchild going southbound from Memorial Eastbound and I slowed down to let someone in the lane next to me ahead so I could move over, as soon as the car (a Mustang) was clear, a the Camry behind me swung out from behind and prevented me from merging again. And twice in the last month, ignorant bus drivers have tried to change into my lane while I was still in it!

Hmm...sounds like DC.

Glad to hear you and the Cavalier made it home in one piece.

Well I had some time on my lunch break so I went out to the lot and fiddled with the fuses... I took Fuse 25 out for about 5 mins and then reinserted it. When I turned the key, the wipers reset to the normal off position and everything is now functioning normally.

Eh, time for a Cobalt!

Eh, No. Nothing less than 6 Cylinders for me thanks. First of all... It's extremely low mileage (66K Miles).

If I turf that car, I'd get either a W-Body Intrigue/Regal/Century or an H-Body 88, 98, or LeSabre.

It doesn't help that now my parents refer to every Cobalt they pass on the road as "that bucket 'o crap" (real bad test drive experience, and my father likes the 11 year old Cavalier over the 2007 Cobalt). :P

Failing all... the master plan is that the Cavalier take me about 3 more years down the road. I'll give it to my brother when he turns 16 and I'll assume the MAXX... Assuming my financials are in order, in about 6-7 Years, I'll be rolling in a brand-new Buick Regal :gitfunky:

The Cav's wiper blades are a dream compared to the Venture. If there's one thing the U-Bodies just didn't build on in the 11 Years between our first and current ones were manufactured... it's the wipers. They don't apply pressure evenly, and make a horrible squeaking noise even when the window is soaking wet... When you're on the road passed out in the middle-row Captains Chair and your father decides to clean the window... you wake up pretty quick! :P

The Cav's wiper blades are a dream compared to the Venture. If there's one thing the U-Bodies just didn't build on in the 11 Years between our first and current ones were manufactured... it's the wipers. They don't apply pressure evenly, and make a horrible squeaking noise even when the window is soaking wet... When you're on the road passed out in the middle-row Captains Chair and your father decides to clean the window... you wake up pretty quick! :P

Yep, I know that feeling...man-it that annoying.....