Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

A new Saturn in the Family

I was able to convert my Mom away from her 2002 Ford Explorer. That car has been sturdy and comfortable for 91,000 miles, but it was time to move on. After comparing the Acadia and Outlook, the Saturn won. She picked her '08 Outlook XR this afternoon. Silver with black leather, quad bucket seats, and tow package. The dealer experience was a pleasure, although the trade-in appraisal on the Explorer was unreasonably low. Hence, the Explorer was not traded-in, and is being sold directly to a new driver (16 year old female) in the family tomorrow.

I'm so pleased that GM is building cars that are stylish, capable, and delightful to own: Dad has the '07 Yukon, I have the '08 Sierra, and Mom now has the Outlook. Additionally, a close family friend is itching for the new CTS. However, I don't know if I'll ever pull my partner away from his Subaru fixation.

I was able to convert my Mom away from her 2002 Ford Explorer. That car has been sturdy and comfortable for 91,000 miles, but it was time to move on. After comparing the Acadia and Outlook, the Saturn won. She picked her '08 Outlook XR this afternoon. Silver with black leather, quad bucket seats, and tow package. The dealer experience was a pleasure, although the trade-in appraisal on the Explorer was unreasonably low. Hence, the Explorer was not traded-in, and is being sold directly to a new driver (16 year old female) in the family tomorrow.

I'm so pleased that GM is building cars that are stylish, capable, and delightful to own: Dad has the '07 Yukon, I have the '08 Sierra, and Mom now has the Outlook. Additionally, a close family friend is itching for the new CTS. However, I don't know if I'll ever pull my partner away from his Subaru fixation.

Nice choice, best of luck with the new wheels.

The Outlook is fantastic, and it was a hard choice between it and the gorgeous Acadia.

My Mom relies on my guidance in all car decisions, and even though the Acadia's styling was more attractive to me, I also had to think about her long-term interests.... like dealer service.

A huge factor that influenced the Saturn purchase is their dealer service. Mom does not like going to car dealers (or any service centers) for anything. I used to be a Ford service advisor, and my Mom was comfortable dealing with me on her 2002 Explorer's initial purchase, as well as all maintenance over the years. I've been away from the car business for over a year now, and Mom has not liked dealing with the Ford guys since then.

Additionally, even though we know many of the folks at our "favorite" GMC dealer (Beck & Masten Pontiac-GMC in Houston), I knew that the Saturn service experience would probably be more to her liking. The Saturn folks simply have softer and sweeter approach in every conversation.

Note: my Grandma has owned a little Saturn SL1 sedan since 1997. Before that purchase, the long-term service prediction was also a major consideration. When Grandma asked "what's the best new car I can get for $15K...I really felt it was a Corolla, but I did not want her to have to deal with potentially arrogant or grouchy Toyota service!!! So we went to Saturn...where the dealer reputation and presentation (more than the car itself) won us over.

It's the ONLY car Grandma has ever had serviced exclusively at her GM dealer (rather than Wal-mart or Jiffy Lube) because the Saturn guys treat her so well...it's a feel-good experience every time...for over 10 straight years. Her previous Regal, Monte Carlo, and Cutlass Calais never saw their dealers again after the purchase day.

Edited by jlgolden

I have found saturn dealers to really lowball trades in addition to insisting on selling at sticker. and no gm card. But that is why saturn dealer experience is very streamlined too.

I think I WON'T be buying a Saturn based on dealer experience....unless I go to another town. I was going to buy an Aura 3 months ago, but I bought a house instead. So, I just went back this week to get the new car and they offered $3000 less for my Impala than 3 months ago, and they won't budge. I was even looking at the exact same Aura, which hadn't moved in 3 months. If the Chevrolet dealers can do better, I'll probably have a Malibu if they ever get any more in.

• 3 weeks later...
I think I WON'T be buying a Saturn based on dealer experience....unless I go to another town. I was going to buy an Aura 3 months ago, but I bought a house instead. So, I just went back this week to get the new car and they offered $3000 less for my Impala than 3 months ago, and they won't budge. I was even looking at the exact same Aura, which hadn't moved in 3 months. If the Chevrolet dealers can do better, I'll probably have a Malibu if they ever get any more in.

Remember that just because they haven't sold that one for three months, doesn't mean they're having trouble selling them.

Just noone else picked it yet. Plus the market can drop out on vehicles especially redesigned ones like the Impal and Malibu.

The tallest issue with trades at Saturn is that although KBB or NADA may say your vehicle is worth more, the black book is usually what they can afford to offer. KBB won't write a check... Black Book is real money. It's easy to blame Saturn for the value you place on your car... Chances are that if they offered you $3,000 more for your trade before, you wanted that same figure this time. They may have budged, just not $3,000. Usually they offer anywhere from $500 Below Black book (covering transportation and auction fees to break even), to $1,500 over on retailable units.

When they give you a price it's an Actual Cash Value (ACV) not an allowance. If they give you more for your trade, you're just getting the gross from their car. Unlike every other negotiating dealership where they charge you sticker and show you more for your trade, at Saturn it's a true discount, because you win the Gross you normally wouldn't be able to get. The negative is that if you do this the Salesperson and the dealership make virtually nothing. No one should work for free! Would you?

You could go somewhere else, and be shown more money for your trade, or you can have an honest dealer show you what it's worth if they have to ship it to auction. A Saturn dealer will write you a check for your car... Most other places won't.

In any case... Sell your car yourself, and you'll get more than a Saturn Retail Facility will get if they ship it to auction.

I have found saturn dealers to really lowball trades in addition to insisting on selling at sticker. and no gm card. But that is why saturn dealer experience is very streamlined too.

They're Oldsmobile replacing commies and what you just posted is exactly why I refuse to do business with a Saturn dealer.

That of course doesn't mean that they don't make some really great cars, like the Outlook, so congrats!

Well, my experience with a Saturn dealer is much better... I wasn't lowballed on my trade ('04 Malibu), I got GM Supplier Pricing without hassle, and they even searched 3 days to find a dealer - eventually found one in Maryland 135 miles away that would trade the exact AURA I wanted and that they had - and was a very easy in-and-out delivery. Not all Saturn dealers are horrible, though with the SKY some did turn out to be greedy (like Chevy & Pontiac dealers can be).

Sometimes you can get a better deal at the Chevy dealer, but sometimes it only seems that way. I recall a situation when I worked at Saturn (for a week... sales isn't for me) where a guy wanted to trade in a vehicle on a Relay minivan, but felt that he wasn't being offered enough for his trade-in. So the guy goes to the chevy dealer, and decides they're giving him a better deal. Turns out, they gave him 2,000 more for his trade-in... but they charged him 3,000 more for the same van (with a chevy face) with the same features. It's not about the trade-in, it's about the total cost. Sometimes Chevy comes out ahead... sometimes they don't.