Oil wars....

daves87rs

I'm surprised I haven't seen this topic in a while.

And since I'm quite the post whore lately, I thought I 'd post it....

So, What kind of oil do you use? And why?

I guess I get to start.

My cars either run on Valvoline or Mobil 1.....

All cars after this oil change (including the Cobalt) will be running Mobil 1 .....

Since I've had great success with Mobil 1 (wife got it in her Ecotec at about 12k-at over 40k it still runs like new), and I like the fact that it offers better protection, since she does quite a bit of city driving.......

Mobil 1.

It goes on sale a few times a year so usually buy 5-6 cases when I notice it's on sale somewhere. Try to change it every 5-6000 in the Impala since it is mostly highway driving, and every 3-4000 on the Suburban since it is usually working hard.

My Impala has 117K on it and uses close to no oil. It has had Mobil 1 in it since it's first oil change back when my uncle owned it.

Apparently Mobil 1 now uses a Group III base oil, which is considered semi-synthetic, although it's certainly possible that all the properties remain the same.

Lots of BMW people insist on the German version of Castrol Syntec, which is full synthetic, available by mail or through some AutoZones.

I just get whatever is on sale. Recently, that meant Mobil 1 0W40 (5 qts + Mobil 1 filter = $29.99 at Pep Boys) for the VW, Valvoline Synpower 5W30 (5 qts + Fram filter = $17.99 at Autozone) for the BMW, and Castrol dino 5W20 (5 qts + Bosch filter = $10.99) for the Honda.

I figure as long as the intervals are short (5000 miles for the VW, 7500 for the BMW) and I use a decent filter, any synthetic should be fine.

Edited by empowah

Mobil 1.

It goes on sale a few times a year so usually buy 5-6 cases when I notice it's on sale somewhere. Try to change it every 5-6000 in the Impala since it is mostly highway driving, and every 3-4000 on the Suburban since it is usually working hard.

My Impala has 117K on it and uses close to no oil. It has had Mobil 1 in it since it's first oil change back when my uncle owned it.

Power still there too?

The Eco in her Cav still runs like new, and a this rate, may outlast the body.... :blink::lol:

I wish I could find it on sale here...very rare though...

Normally what ever is on sale. Its really all the same to me. Although, I use royal purplein the summer, i will order a couple cases of 5w-30.

RP is crazy priced...like 6-8 bucks a bottle...

Nah, still sticking with mobil 1. With the city driving though, I still end up changing around 3k anyways...

RP is crazy priced...like 6-8 bucks a bottle...

Nah, still sticking with mobil 1. With the city driving though, I still end up changing around 3k anyways...

Last 2 summers when the shop orders the machine oil from them we all pitch in and get about 20 cases and its really cheap that way about 2.75 a quart when all said and done

Guest YellowJacket894

Just one-hundred more miles to go before the Sonoma gets a nice dose of some synthetic oil.

Anyone got a suggestion of a synthetic that's really nice but not too expensive?

I just changed the DuraMax (Rotella T) at I believe 6K (don't have my service log handy) and it was jet black. Don't diesels blacken oil quicker than gas engines? I was shooting for 3K and missed it by --this-- much.

I always changed my daily gas-engined truck at 3-3.5K (Pennzoil) and it also was jet black. Not sure that's a perfect measure of when it's time to change one's oil- it's supposed to absorb 'dirt'- and exactly when does it turn black? Are you anti-black-oil types jacking your intervals back by 500 miles until it runs out halfway 'tween black & amber??

Everything i've encountered claimed that synthetics were good for 2/3rds more miles than conventional- and 3K is roughly half the usually-recommended interval as it is, so changing a synth @ 3K sounds like triple-overkill and a collosal waste of money.

I just changed the DuraMax (Rotella T) at I believe 6K (don't have my service log handy) and it was jet black. Don't diesels blacken oil quicker than gas engines? I was shooting for 3K and missed it by --this-- much.

I always changed my daily gas-engined truck at 3-3.5K (Pennzoil) and it also was jet black. Not sure that's a perfect measure of when it's time to change one's oil- it's supposed to absorb 'dirt'- and exactly when does it turn black? Are you anti-black-oil types jacking your intervals back by 500 miles until it runs out halfway 'tween black & amber??

Everything i've encountered claimed that synthetics were good for 2/3rds more miles than conventional- and 3K is roughly half the usually-recommended interval as it is, so changing a synth @ 3K sounds like triple-overkill and a collosal waste of money.

I'm not sure about the miles...I usually watch the oil more than the miles...

In her car I've had to change it before 3k, though on the other hand I have been able to let it go over 3k also....

It really depends on the conditions that you drive in. Since she drives more city, it offers more protection in this crazy area......

I'm not worried to much about wasting a few bucks...because she she starts up and still purrs like new, it's worth it. :yes:

Just one-hundred more miles to go before the Sonoma gets a nice dose of some synthetic oil.

Anyone got a suggestion of a synthetic that's really nice but not too expensive?

Most syns are more than fine for the car..

Private brands tend to be a good way to go..though it helps to know who makes it..

Carquest has some good prices on them( and made by valvoline)

I'd offer Wal Mart's too, but I'm not sure who they use for their oil.....

Another way to save a few bucks is to buy the 5 qt jug from wal mart...tends to be cheaper....

I usually pick up a jug of Mobil 1 for 20 bucks..not too bad...

I think You'll enjoy the new oil in your truck...when I had it in my s-10, it gave the 4.3 a bit more pep..... :)

Actually, when I had my Toyota, I changed the oil every 3k with synthetic. I was using it for delivering, so it made sense. Now I barely drive 100 miles a week, 70% highway, so running a full synthetic 7500 miles doesn't begin to phase me. Ford recommends an oil change every 5k using a MotorCraft synthetic blend.

Actually, when I had my Toyota, I changed the oil every 3k with synthetic. I was using it for delivering, so it made sense. Now I barely drive 100 miles a week, 70% highway, so running a full synthetic 7500 miles doesn't begin to phase me. Ford recommends an oil change every 5k using a MotorCraft synthetic blend.

Makes me wonder why GM doesn't do a blend yet....

I use CarQuest (ie Valvoline without the pretty white bottle) in all the gas-burning vehicles, change the oil at every 3,000. The diesels (both tractors) get Delo 15W40 and get changed every six months regardless of hours on the engines. Filters are all CarQuest (supplied by Wix), if I don't have access to CarQuest (and since I work there, I've got access to it) I'll use whatever is factory recommended filter, either MotorCraft, AC Delco or a Bosch filter for the non-GM or FoMoCo vehicles.

Before I went soley to Valvoline I was using regular Mobil in all the vehicles, but since the only Mobil that CQ has is Mobil 1 and I've got no need for synthetic in anything, I just use Valvoline (just in the pretty, plain, black CQ bottle).

With the city driving done around here, I need Synthetic in mine...it has done her Cav well..still runs like new.... :yes: