EDMUNDS GT-R test

regfootball

If you look at the history of edmunds and their love for the GTR, it might well be the most humped car by the website.

They have been following it like groupies, throwing bachelorette parties, arranging striptease for the car, reporting first information of the web, reporting first first drive, and now the first full test.

Considering that they never ever get close to what other car manufacturers claim for their vehicle's 0-60, I highly doubt this number. With the power to weight ratio a little worse than the Porsche 911, burdened with AWD, 0-60 may be enhanced by a stirring launch control.

The fact that this power to weight ratio shows is from this comparison

Z06 0-60 3.5s, Quarter mile 11.6s @ 125mph.

It may be a good car, but it is not as scintillating as edmunds calls it out to be.

oh yeah, edmunds is totally humping the car. i thought they had 'stained' my monitor i was so disgusted to read it.

i get the impression that the software controls that are in place to help launch times are repsonsible. The AWD at some point offsets its own weight penalty with better traction. But apparently they engineered the car well enough and hit a sweet spot with weight and power and traction so as to fully take advantage of the electronic nannies that help the car.

I think the GT-R and Porsche are basically the two cars that will force GM to make an AWD version of the vette in the next go round. If you haven't noticed, many comments about the vette being tail happy and lacking traction and making it hard to drive have been in recent vette reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

They were, and this is too. However, its style is old already, and worse than the concept's. The powertrain is great, too. However, I'm not a fan of the car just because of the people raggin' up and down that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

It's cool but it will never be as cool as the last gen. Inline-six GT-R.

That's the WHOLE point.....and has always been the point with the Skyline GT-R series of cars.....

Really? I guess I didn't get that point. I always thought the point of buying a car like this was to show everyone how big your pe...... uh... cucumber is.

This appeals to the video gamer crowd. Nissan said they considered doing something sleek and curvaceous but decided against it, preferring to stick with tradition.

I like how they did their own thing, building up an identity and essence, as opposed to merely cloning a Ferrari or Corvette. Hyundai could learn a lesson or two.

Really? I guess I didn't get that point. I always thought the point of buying a car like this was to show everyone how big your pe...... uh... cucumber is.

That's with cars like Ferraris and Porsches. The GT-R, and cars like the Evo and STI, are for nerdy, pedantic, internet-browsing, antisocial, PS3-playing anoraks who argue about numbers and figures and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
It's cool I guess...

But it's no supercar.... For that, it'd have to have some sort of sex appeal.

It's big enough to have sex in...does that count? I mean, you can't say that about a Lamborghini. :)