Toyota tops GM in vehicle production for 07

andy82471

AP

Toyota Beats GM in Global Production

Monday January 28, 4:38 am ET

By Yuri Kageyama, AP Business Writer

Toyota Beats GM in Global Vehicle Production 2007 Though GM Still No. 1 in Global Sales

TOKYO (AP) -- Toyota may have fallen short of General Motors in global vehicle sales last year, but it's beaten its U.S. rival in another measure -- global vehicle production.

In the latest neck-and-neck numbers race between the world's top two automakers, Toyota Motor Corp. said Monday it had made a record 9,497,754 vehicles worldwide in 2007, up 5.3 percent from the previous year.

That's about 213,000 more automobiles than the 9.284 million that GM made last year.

Honda and other major Japanese automakers also reported strong annual output gains. Only Mazda said its production dropped.

Toyota's earlier, less precise production estimate for 2007 was 9.51 million. Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco in Tokyo said there was no special reason for the change from the estimate.

By sales, however, General Motors Corp. just barely retained its crown over Toyota, selling 9,369,524 vehicles around the world, up 3 percent from the previous year, and about 3,000 vehicles more than Toyota.

Toyota on Friday updated its sales tally for last year with additional three digits at 9,366,418. In number released last week, Toyota said it sold 9.366 million vehicles last year globally, up 6 percent from 2006 -- allowing GM to keep its title of world's No. 1 automaker for the 77th year.

The two big manufacturers are vying for sales in the U.S., Europe and other established markets but also new markets, including India and China.

Toyota said production in Japan marked its sixth straight year of gains for a record in 2007. Exports and overseas production also surged, it said.

Toyota has been racking up growth recently, riding on its reputation for quality and good mileage. Soaring gas prices are making smaller cars that are Toyota's forte increasingly in demand.

Toyota has enjoyed a green-car image because of the fashionability of its Prius gas-electric hybrid, which cuts down on global warming emissions.

Among other Japanese automakers, Honda Motor Co. said its global production grew 7.7 percent to a record 3.91 million vehicles last year, the 11th straight year of growth. Declines in Japan production were more than offset by growth in North America, Europe and China, the Tokyo manufacturer said.

Nissan Motor Co., which has a partnership with Renault SA of France, chalked up a 6.2 percent jump in global production to 3.43 million vehicles last year on strong demand for the Infiniti G35 and G37 luxury models and Rogue crossover vehicle. Especially solid was Nissan's overseas production, soaring 12.9 percent on year.

Mitsubishi Motors Corp.'s global production totaled 1.41 million last year, up 7.5 percent from the previous year.

Mazda Motor Corp., which is 33.4 percent owned by U.S. automaker Ford Motor Co., was an exception with production declining 1.9 percent to 1.29 million vehicles around the world.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080128/japan_toyota.html?.v=8

I wonder why GM's selling number is bigger than their production number ?

Edited by andy82471

Toyota, the new Chrysler.

Maybe they'll get rid of their spare inventory by burning it, like Chrysler did?

I think if C+G ever posts pictures of that, we may have to put a warning on the thread so that FOG, Fly, and 68 don't shoot a load all over their computers when they see the row of burned Camries and Tundras.

Sales number > Production number => Reduced inventory

Yeah that is what I thought too. Usually production number is greater than sales number because you always want excess inventory due to unforseen circumstance like natural disaster or a strike. For GM it is the other way around which means they had excess inventory from the previous year and had to curtail their production.

Don't forget you probably have inventory left over from last year, so you shouldn't continually be producing more cars than you sell (as Toyota has for several years at least), or that inventory keeps getting bigger and bigger …

Despite that Toyota has managed to keep sales growing faster than inventory, which keeps the oversupply to a manageable level, even though it is increasing.

Edited by thegriffon

Don't forget you probably have inventory left over from last year, so you shouldn't continually be producing more cars than you sell (as Toyota has for several years at least), or that inventory keeps getting bigger and bigger …

Well the streets of Bangkok, Singapore, and Manila are full of Corolla and Camry taxicabs. They should have no problem absorbing an extra 100k vehicles.

Toyota has been racking up growth recently, riding on its reputation for quality and good mileage. Soaring gas prices are making smaller cars that are Toyota's forte increasingly in demand.

Toyota has enjoyed a green-car image because of the fashionability of its Prius gas-electric hybrid, which cuts down on global warming emissions.

Toyota's forte? :nono:

Maybe they'll get rid of their spare inventory by burning it, like Chrysler did?

I think if C+G ever posts pictures of that, we may have to put a warning on the thread so that FOG, Fly, and 68 don't shoot a load all over their computers when they see the row of burned Camries and Tundras.

Clearly, that would go against Toyota's strong environmental values - unless the cars really ARE biodegradable, like in that stupid ad! ^_^

Sounds like an awful lot of unsold cars.

Fleet 'em Toyota... taste the sweet sweet cocaine.

They should call up GM, for advice of fleeting, they seem to be the experts. (Impala, fleet car of the year)

FYI, Toyota does not have unionized plants, therefore if demand drops, so does production. So far production is up because of demand.

They should call up GM, for advice of fleeting, they seem to be the experts. (Impala, fleet car of the year)

FYI, Toyota does not have unionized plants, therefore if demand drops, so does production. So far production is up because of demand.

Removing the spin, they overproduced thinking the demand was higher than it was.

I think you hit it 100%. The economy is in the craphouse, and people aren't buying cars like people had hoped.

Glad to see GM has cut back production and fleeting, they may be the best positioned of the domestic big three to weather the storm.

Chris

Why the hell is everyone getting so political about the car business? Both companies make good products, and CARBIZ, can you please give it up with this "paying off the media" and "Kool-Aid" conspiracy theory BS, I know you're bored at work, I worked at a few car dealerships throughout school, and I know how bored sales guys get. It's getting annoying, if your sales are dropping, maybe it's time to stop blaming Toyota. People buy what they want, and Toyota buyers are repeat buyers, like it or not. Unfortunately, GM vehicles sell on deals, and incentives. As for my comment on getting political, we are car enthusiasts, can't we comment on the products, instead of lashing out politics??? It will be nice to take the blind folds off, and maybe some of you can appreciate cars for what they are, instead of the emblem. MY :twocents:

Why the hell is everyone getting so political about the car business? Both companies make good products, and CARBIZ, can you please give it up with this "paying off the media" and "Kool-Aid" conspiracy theory BS, I know you're bored at work, I worked at a few car dealerships throughout school, and I know how bored sales guys get. It's getting annoying, if your sales are dropping, maybe it's time to stop blaming Toyota. People buy what they want, and Toyota buyers are repeat buyers, like it or not. Unfortunately, GM vehicles sell on deals, and incentives. As for my comment on getting political, we are car enthusiasts, can't we comment on the products, instead of lashing out politics??? It will be nice to take the blind folds off, and maybe some of you can appreciate cars for what they are, instead of the emblem. MY :twocents:

Last I checked, GM brands have a high percentage of repeat business too, especially in trucks/SUVs... where Toyota and Nissan are depending on deals and incentives.

Seems to me like it's you who's getting bent out of shape.

Put another way: this is a GM board. You've been a posting member for years. You know the climate and what to expect on this site. Yet you post to complain about it. If a user is getting annoying to you, ignore their posts. But c'mon man, don't post just to bitch about the people posting here. I'm sure there is another board on the vast internet you'd enjoy more.

First off, you should know that I don't post from work - far too busy for that.

Sorry if you don't like the politics, but in case you have had your head in the sand for the past 35 years, there is a War of Civilizations going on here. Please, do some research. Japan does not encourage 'friendly competition.' Lest how would it take Toys R Us (how can anything be less threatening than a toy retailer??) 5 years to get into the Japanese market - and then only by forming a 'partnership?'

I witnessed first hand how MITI (look that one up, too) orchestrated the destruction of the American television and electronics industry. Better products? (Tell that to Zenith in the '80s) No, it's called DUMPING. Why else would Toshiba and others have received import quotas on sugar beets (???) to offset their losses in the U.S. and Canada? MITI than turned its attention to the tool and die industry, with somewhat less success, thanks to several large American firms like Houdaille out of Texas that tried to sue their former Japanese 'partners' with no success. Now, it is the auto industry's turn.

These are people's jobs on the line, but more importantly it is the future of the manufacturing in North America that is under assault. Of course, many North American businesspeople are complicit in this sad tale, but the way that Toyota and others have bought fellowships and wooed the media is sickening, IMO.

Kris, if you don't think the auto industry is political than you need to get better informed. Ever since Toyopet and Nissan/Datsun/Nissan (look up what they did during WWII) entered our shores it has not been about friendly competition but about total domination. I save my anger for the idiots in Washington and Ottawa that have blindly allowed this to happen, and I stand in wonderment at our rush to China's shores to let the cycle of doom repeat itself all over again.

Washington/Otttawa laziness began this cycle and Wall Street/Bay Street greed will finish it. I don' t have kids so I shouldn't give $h!. Do you?

First off, you should know that I don't post from work - far too busy for that.

Sorry if you don't like the politics, but in case you have had your head in the sand for the past 35 years, there is a War of Civilizations going on here. Please, do some research. Japan does not encourage 'friendly competition.' Lest how would it take Toys R Us (how can anything be less threatening than a toy retailer??) 5 years to get into the Japanese market - and then only by forming a 'partnership?'

I witnessed first hand how MITI (look that one up, too) orchestrated the destruction of the American television and electronics industry. Better products? (Tell that to Zenith in the '80s) No, it's called DUMPING. Why else would Toshiba and others have received import quotas on sugar beets (???) to offset their losses in the U.S. and Canada? MITI than turned its attention to the tool and die industry, with somewhat less success, thanks to several large American firms like Houdaille out of Texas that tried to sue their former Japanese 'partners' with no success. Now, it is the auto industry's turn.

These are people's jobs on the line, but more importantly it is the future of the manufacturing in North America that is under assault. Of course, many North American businesspeople are complicit in this sad tale, but the way that Toyota and others have bought fellowships and wooed the media is sickening, IMO.

Kris, if you don't think the auto industry is political than you need to get better informed. Ever since Toyopet and Nissan/Datsun/Nissan (look up what they did during WWII) entered our shores it has not been about friendly competition but about total domination. I save my anger for the idiots in Washington and Ottawa that have blindly allowed this to happen, and I stand in wonderment at our rush to China's shores to let the cycle of doom repeat itself all over again.

Washington/Otttawa laziness began this cycle and Wall Street/Bay Street greed will finish it. I don' t have kids so I shouldn't give $h!. Do you?

Because Japan had a better product, that's why people bought it. People work too hard in this continent and they want to buy things that get their money's worth. They dont' want to buy junk, just because it "supports the local economy", yet the product is always in repair, but that's okay, "I'm support the domestic economy". Japanese electronics were far superior than the American electronics, the Japanese were selling modern TV's in the 80's. Same with it's automobiles, Japan were impoerting little Civics and Corollas in the 70's, and 80's, were good on gas, and didn't break down as often. As a kid I would see only American cars on tow trucks, which was sad, cause it always made me wonder as a young kid car nut, why can't Americans make good cars? Simple, they don't want to, the American mentality of fast and cheap, and quantity over quality production methods destroyed their reputation. US manufacturers are out there to impress wall street and not the customer buying their product. What upsets me is that it took them this long to figure out that it's the product that sells. Now they woke up, and started to pump some money and effort into their products, and are actually making them decent. But it might be too late. Yes there are politics in the car business, but the Japanese just have a different approach to it. They prefer to pump a little more money for parts, instead of cutting back on every single bolt just to make the bean counters happy.

Because Japan had a better product, that's why people bought it. People work too hard in this continent and they want to buy things that get their money's worth. They dont' want to buy junk, just because it "supports the local economy", yet the product is always in repair, but that's okay, "I'm support the domestic economy". Japanese electronics were far superior than the American electronics, the Japanese were selling modern TV's in the 80's. Same with it's automobiles, Japan were impoerting little Civics and Corollas in the 70's, and 80's, were good on gas, and didn't break down as often. As a kid I would see only American cars on tow trucks, which was sad, cause it always made me wonder as a young kid car nut, why can't Americans make good cars? Simple, they don't want to, the American mentality of fast and cheap, and quantity over quality production methods destroyed their reputation. US manufacturers are out there to impress wall street and not the customer buying their product. What upsets me is that it took them this long to figure out that it's the product that sells. Now they woke up, and started to pump some money and effort into their products, and are actually making them decent. But it might be too late. Yes there are politics in the car business, but the Japanese just have a different approach to it. They prefer to pump a little more money for parts, instead of cutting back on every single bolt just to make the bean counters happy.

Do not equate more 'expensive' parts for better 'quality.' I will grant you that Japanese parts are more 'expensive;' that's why Hondas are stolen so much and 'parted out.'

Zenith was the best color television manufacturer. Period. Their quality of manufacture and picture quality was superior to all others, right up until about the early '90s. Then they were routed by Japan Inc., along with Electrohome, RCA, Admiral and all the others. Not by superior Japanese quality, but by DUMPING. Even the venerable Sears switched suppliers.

I worked for an auto parts dealer in the early '80s. I witnessed many Datsuns up on hoists, with their wheel mounts sagging with rust. I heard the mechanics laughing. A '81 Tercel had all the sophistication of a flashlight, but that was part of their beauty: simplicity. While GM and Ford (with their bags of cash and, yes, hubris) tried to find sophisticated answers to simple questions, Japan Inc found plenty of people willing to drive tin cans to get 30 mpg. GM and Ford tried to find ways to fit their customer's fat arses into big cars that would get 30 mpg - but the technology was not ripe back then. So, instead, they produced overly complicated vehicles (8-6-4, anyone?) that were mere shadows of their former selves anyway, pleasing no one.

GM sold 5 million vehicles a year in the '80s: more than all the imports combined by quite a margin. So, statistically speaking, what were the odds of finding a Chevy or Ford behind a tow truck, as opposed to a Honda or Toyota? We all know that GM and Ford made their fair share of mistakes, but so has HOnda and Toyota. GM and Ford do not have Washington blocking imports at every turn, like Japan Inc does.

I will give Toyota and the others credit for their patience. It has taken them 25 years, but they have made a believer out of people like you.

so wait... do American's work too hard or are they all about fast and cheap?

and the Japanese won the TV war not because of superior product but because of dumping of cheap sets on our market..... remember, Americans are all about fast and cheap.

They prefer to pump a little more money for parts, instead of cutting back on every single bolt just to make the bean counters happy.

Is that why we see the same buttons and cruise control knobs on the Corrolla and the Avalon? What is that Taco counters?

The truth is no car manufacturer is perfect. The fact that you assume that Toyota is still good based on 80's products and neglecting that it was the recall king couple of years prior is the same assumption as Detroit sucked in 80's so it sucks now. :rolleyes:

And didn't you tell somebody else in the other thread to check their grammar? Your grammar is not quite correct either.