Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Wisconsin man's '91 Silverado set to hit 1 million miles

chevy_like_a_rock.gif

Talk about finding a good used car. Frank Orsenick bought his '91 Silverado in 1996. At the time, it had 41,000 miles on the clock. After 11 years of service (and a lot of driving), the old pickup is about to reach a milestone. Frank had the oil changed last week, just as he has every 3,000 miles since acquiring the Chevy, and it's sure to be the last one it receives as an everyday-use vehicle. You see, it's just 1,200 miles away from spinning past the 1,000,000-mark on the odometer. When it hits the big number, Frank is going to put his faithful ride into retirement. As for how he got this far, Orsenik credits regular maintenance and "a little luck." We should all be so lucky.

[source: AP via Forecast Earth]

I had a customer with a '89 Caprice that had 1M Km (about 600k miles) on the clock - and it hadn't been used as a taxi! The gentleman used to be in sales and drove all over northern Ontario where 1,000 miles in a day were not uncommon. Sadly, these long term stories are rarer up here because of the SALT. Many vehicles get retired at the 120k mile mark because the bodies are rotting out - especially Hondas.

Guest YellowJacket894

I find it's funny that I was having a conversation with a friend of mine earlier today about the durability of GM vs. Toyota. When he asked me to name off a few Chevrolets that have lasted over 200,000 miles, I immediately named my uncle's '93 S-10 with over 370,000 miles and his '98 Silverado with well over 500,000 miles. As for my friend, well, he just said "I know of a billion Toyotas that have lasted over that mark." So, then I ask him to name some specific examples. He responded with his dad's two Toyotas, but neglected to mention their model years or miles. I think he knew I had him beat, or at least matched.

Wait until I show him this ...

Here's a Chevrolet with 2 million+ miles.

Yikes.

Sadly, that one just about looks like it has been on every one of those 2 million miles.... At least, from that angle, anyway.

Still ... that's cool ... especially since the owner is STILL using it.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm about to put the hammer down" ... CW McCall ... 'Convoy'

The news report I heard on CBS radio said it did make 1,000,000 on the original engine but used a great number of trannys as gas tanks etc. They had to give a negitive part to the story. Toyota must be a advertiser???

Either way I have seen many GM cars and truck over 500,000 mile and the body rot gets them long before the engine goes.

My wifes Aunt has had several W body FWDs with between 250,000-450,000 miles with few problms and only one engine change on 3 different cars.

The news report I heard on CBS radio said it did make 1,000,000 on the original engine but used a great number of trannys as gas tanks etc. They had to give a negitive part to the story. Toyota must be a advertiser???

Either way I have seen many GM cars and truck over 500,000 mile and the body rot gets them long before the engine goes.

My wifes Aunt has had several W body FWDs with between 250,000-450,000 miles with few problms and only one engine change on 3 different cars.

I give a thumbs up to every 1980s H-Body Buick and Oldsmobile I see... And there are a lot of them around.

I give a thumbs up to every 1980s H-Body Buick and Oldsmobile I see... And there are a lot of them around.

Heck I have Berreta's still all over the rust belt here and they are still running with hundreds of thousands of miles and the last one was bilt in the early 90's. I don't see that from many Civics.

I also attend many Fiero events and we alway have a old 2M4 with 300,000-500,000 miles on it. Iron Duke and all.

I fully feel Gm has always over looked their longgevity in many of their cars. It is something they should advertise.

Edited by hyperv6

SSSSHHHHHH! Don't upset PolishKris! He's sipping his kool-aid.

Off topic, there is a local E-350 diesel with over a million miles on it. My old neighbor had a F-150 that was 700,000 plus. High mileage domestic trucks are not a rare thing.

But this is cool none the less. Maybe I can get 300,000 plus out of my Safari!

Chris