Golf Hybrid

AAS

Check out the full story here.

It's official - Volkswagen is unveiling a hybrid to challenge the mighty Toyota Prius. And not just any hybrid, but a diesel-electric hybrid it says will deliver 69.9 mpg.

...car is expected to have a parallel hybrid drivetrain with a 2.0 liter engine. Look for it to have an all-electric mode at low speed, start-stop capability, regenerative braking and a 7-speed DSG double-clutch transmission, according to Auto Express and AutoBlog Green.

...The Golf Hybrid will get almost 70 mph [mpg] while meeting Europe's stringent Euro V and America's Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards, making it green enough even for California. ...

The hybrid Golf may be just the start.

Note: pic at link is of regular diesel golf...

Guest aatbloke
yeah baby! screw toyota!

of course, CA will find some way to kill it still. they have no desire for progress.

The follows on the heels of Peugeot's 308 diesel-hybrid concept last year (due to go into production) and the Astra diesel-hybrid concept from late 2005, which alas never came to fruition.

...and the service departments of dealers all over North America are salivating!

a small Hybrid that doesn't look like ass? I'm for it.

Whose ass?

yeah baby! screw toyota!

of course, CA will find some way to kill it still. they have no desire for progress.

Get over yourself! Go off and drive your Ford, which is a company that makes cars that are anything but!

...and the service departments of dealers all over North America are salivating!

I agree, Volkswagen always had great and innovative products, however the reliability is another story.

Reg....don't get me started......

I know!

everyone says they can't and shouldn't do it and it's VW that does it, and if the estimates come true, the mileage factor will be major.

liberal hollywood is not standing in the way of GM creating a hybrid with 50+mpg, and trust me nobody would hesitate to create a GM bandwagon in hollywood

Guest aatbloke
Actually Volkswagen, like everyone else, has improved reliability somewhat.

Chris

Volkswagen's reputation for reliability took a nosedive solely because of the mark IV Golf/Bora/Jetta and Beetle, all of which suffered some significant electrical issues. Other models such as Polo, Passat and Sharan weren't affected by the tarnished reputation. The Golf/Jetta mark V are a huge improvement over the mark IV.

It's a case of perception versus reality. People expect VW to be perfect - after all, it is German engineering. However, like Mercedes, they are not perfect. So where Hyundai's quality rankings (particularly on JD Powers) have shot up, simply because people were shocked when the car actually started; VW's tanked, because although the cars handle great and have that 'quality' feel, they were prone to mostly little gremlins, which pissed people off when they had spent good money for a supposedly well engineered car.

I think they largely have their electrical issues resolved, but I still laugh at the number of VWs I see here with a headlight or tail light out, or signals not working.

No one builds a perfect car. Mother of a friend had a car that needed a brake caliper at 38,000 miles and then ran to 132,000 miles with no problems. To her the car was unreliable because it needed a reapir.

People have strange expectations.

Chris

Reg....don't get me started......

its always so easy to awake the sleeping beauty :)

what was this BS i read the other day about CA wanting to circumvent national CAFE laws and institute their own at 44 mpg fleet avg?

anyone read (it was either Csere's or Bedard's) the diesel slur campaign editorial in C/G the other day? Between the renegade states (of the supposedly United States) and the predominantly negative auto press, it's no wonder no attempts to solve our energy issues gain any momentum. There are always those devisive forces that set out to ruin everything from having a chance at trying to make a difference.

Like the divided and stupid dems, they would be better offer working to find a agreement on what is the best course of action to solve a problem as a team. As opposed to the 'i'm hillary and i'm gonna keep runnin cause i want to' approach. advice to dems, unify your candidates NOW before it gets even more ludicrous.

Edited by regfootball

Guest aatbloke
It's a case of perception versus reality. People expect VW to be perfect - after all, it is German engineering. However, like Mercedes, they are not perfect. So where Hyundai's quality rankings (particularly on JD Powers) have shot up, simply because people were shocked when the car actually started; VW's tanked, because although the cars handle great and have that 'quality' feel, they were prone to mostly little gremlins, which pissed people off when they had spent good money for a supposedly well engineered car.

I think they largely have their electrical issues resolved, but I still laugh at the number of VWs I see here with a headlight or tail light out, or signals not working.

In this country, Volkswagens are extraordinarily popular cars, and for good reason: they're well-built, well-engineered, durable and reliable cars. The JD Powers reliability survey 2007 saw VW Group vehicles come in 2nd, 7th, 13th and 20th.

105774033.jpg

its always so easy to awake the sleeping beauty :)

what was this BS i read the other day about CA wanting to circumvent national CAFE laws and institute their own at 44 mpg fleet avg?

anyone read (it was either Csere's or Bedard's) the diesel slur campaign editorial in C/G the other day? Between the renegade states (of the supposedly United States) and the predominantly negative auto press, it's no wonder no attempts to solve our energy issues gain any momentum. There are always those devisive forces that set out to ruin everything from having a chance at trying to make a difference.

Like the divided and stupid dems, they would be better offer working to find a agreement on what is the best course of action to solve a problem as a team. As opposed to the 'i'm hillary and i'm gonna keep runnin cause i want to' approach. advice to dems, unify your candidates NOW before it gets even more ludicrous.

We have a legislature in this state that unfortunately doesn't represent what the vast majority of this state believes in. However, thanks to the defeat of the recent proposition on term limits (the prop actually lengthened the terms of numerous unpopular scumbag legistlators) there are a vast majority of the state legislators that are termed out after the end of this term.

Do you think ANYONE in this state truly LIKES Nancy Pelosi...? LOL

The Hybrid craze may have taken off in this state but look at what else sells here......SUVs....trucks.....high-end imported machinery......the vast populace is voting with their consumer dollars.....and it's certainly not the trend of a state population that supports a 44mpg fleet average.....

But alas politicians will probably never end up succumbing to the lobbyists and special interests. That's something we'll never change....no matter who's voted in.

In this country, Volkswagens are extraordinarily popular cars, and for good reason: they're well-built, well-engineered, durable and reliable cars. The JD Powers reliability survey 2007 saw VW Group vehicles come in 2nd, 7th, 13th and 20th.

105774033.jpg

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/depen...atings-by-brand

In this country, not so much. VW is rated near the bottom, literally and figuratively.

We have a legislature in this state that unfortunately doesn't represent what the vast majority of this state believes in. However, thanks to the defeat of the recent proposition on term limits (the prop actually lengthened the terms of numerous unpopular scumbag legistlators) there are a vast majority of the state legislators that are termed out after the end of this term.

Do you think ANYONE in this state truly LIKES Nancy Pelosi...? LOL

The Hybrid craze may have taken off in this state but look at what else sells here......SUVs....trucks.....high-end imported machinery......the vast populace is voting with their consumer dollars.....and it's certainly not the trend of a state population that supports a 44mpg fleet average.....

But alas politicians will probably never end up succumbing to the lobbyists and special interests. That's something we'll never change....no matter who's voted in.

Well... you do live behind the Orange Curtain... :P

Cannot handle Canadian winters! :rolleyes:

Perhaps. What I see is a lot of twenty-somethings whose first car was mommy's '92 Ciera, leasing a new VW, stretching themselves to the limit, then freaking when there is a rattle or noise. Mercedes is plagued with the same perception problems. As many of you know, I don't place must credibility to these surveys, especially CR, because they aren't really random, but it does point to the demanding nature of today's consumer.

Well... you do live behind the Orange Curtain... :P

LOL....

Well to be honest, not to "insult" all those Angelenos to the north.....I really don't see L.A. county (or S.D. county for that matter) all that different in ideals than a good portion of The O.C.

Really, you pretty much only see the lunatic "fringe" that gets CA all it's bad press up in the Bay Area.....and really only then in the city, Berkeley,and maybe some of Marin County to the north. When I lived in the East Bay out in Danville, it was pretty much a carbon copy of Orange County.....moderate-to-republican. Alot of San Jose/Silicon Valley is the same way.

The valley cities like Fresno, Bakersfield, and Sacramento? I believe mostly moderate to republican.....from what I've heard and seen.

It's like being gay. The vast majority of gay people are like me, I believe....pretty-damn normal. It's the 5% "lunatic fringe" that gets all the media and gives gay people a "bad name." It's kinda the same with the state of CA. People that haven't spent much time here just see the lunatic crap that comes from a small portion of our state and then people think everyone and everywhere here is the same...or that we believe the same.

<ugh>

Edited by The O.C.

OH CMON TOYODA DOES!!!!!!!!!!!! IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sooner we can eradicate Toyota from the face the earth, the better.

Which is my my friend Trevor had to help his neighbor break into her Camry when the locks quit working and the battery went dead. I used to work in an auto parts store, Toyotas do break like everything else.

Chris

LOL....

Well to be honest, not to "insult" all those Angelenos to the north.....I really don't see L.A. county (or S.D. county for that matter) all that different in ideals than a good portion of The O.C.

Really, you pretty much only see the lunatic "fringe" that gets CA all it's bad press up in the Bay Area.....and really only then in the city, Berkeley,and maybe some of Marin County to the north. When I lived in the East Bay out in Danville, it was pretty much a carbon copy of Orange County.....moderate-to-republican. Alot of San Jose/Silicon Valley is the same way.

The valley cities like Fresno, Bakersfield, and Sacramento? I believe mostly moderate to republican.....from what I've heard and seen.

It's like being gay. The vast majority of gay people are like me, I believe....pretty-damn normal. It's the 5% "lunatic fringe" that gets all the media and gives gay people a "bad name." It's kinda the same with the state of CA. People that haven't spent much time here just see the lunatic crap that comes from a small portion of our state and then people think everyone and everywhere here is the same...or that we believe the same.

<ugh>

Off topic Rabbit trail, but your right, gay men and Californians are just like teenaged girls or old men or Muslims or people who drive Miatas or math teachers or anyone else-5% assholes and 95% basically o.k.

Chris

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/depen...atings-by-brand

In this country, not so much. VW is rated near the bottom, literally and figuratively.

Cool, MINI is up there in the JD Powers Poll.

Chris