Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vonVeezelsnider

The Legend Continues

43 posts in this topic

About that Valium-

My little electrical problem has spread beyond the ABS and Radio to the turn signals, where the electrical fault is causing the blinkers on one side to go crazy fast while the 4-Ways and Right Turn Signals are fine. I've already checked the obvious (bulbs/Fuses) once again, and everything is fine. So now depending on where my foot is on the floor, my turn signals might work, or they might not.

It gets more interesting- now, intermittently, when I lock or unlock the power locks, the locks go crazy and they unlock, lock, unlock, and lock again in random succession. I have to wait for them to stop to be able to gain access to the car from the outside.

It will be poetically sweet when one day my Cavalier will cease to let me in at all :lol:

Any Ideas?

Besides a cliff? :P

Or an exorcist? :smilewide:

I don't think even 1980s British Leyland or Fiat could produce a car with that many electrical gremlins.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I don't know- maybe come November or so, I'll crunch the numbers. I might be able to finance an off lease Cobalt LT Sedan, or do a 3-Year Lease on a new Cobalt, so I'm not replacing any more nuisance items.

I get my dad's 2007 Impala LS in two and a half years, or I'll get my Granddad's 2007 Impala LS (identical cars except for colour) sooner if the Province of Alberta decides he shouldn't drive any more before then. Otherwise, I need a sane solution. Two more years of this torture will just give me a peptic ulcer so I'm not sure at all. I'd be willing to commit to a 2-Year lease on a basic 4-Banger with warranty because at this rate I'd be paying less monthly for that than the repairs that just keep piling on until an Impala is ready for me.

I had to have the radio wired completely independently of the rest of the car just to get it to work. Something's seriously screwed up, and it's now screwed up my Turn Signals, Door Locks, Radio, ABS Sensor, Parking Brake and other Warning Lights. When something serious gets screwed, then I'll find the problem and fix it but until then, I've had enough of 500+$ Repair Bills, monthly.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

290/Mo Smartlease @ MSRP (actual would be cheaper then, I figure knock about 2 Large off of the MSRP)

2008 Cobalt LT Sedan

Power Windows

Power Locks

XM

Onstar

Head Curtains

Keyless Entry

Block Heater

ABS

Automatic Transmission

Cruise Control

:scratchchin:

Set it on fire.... :)

Judging by the fact that it is all over-chances are good that you have a wire (maybe a few) that are going bad.

Three new wires on my friend's 2000 Cav fixed everything....and he had problems like yours.....

Problem is, they are a PITA to fix.

I'm just afraid of the labour charges *cringes*

I'm just afraid of the labour charges *cringes*

It won't just cost you your arm, it will cost you your leg as well. :P :AH-HA_wink:

Electrical stuff is a PITA for sure. Anything involving the interior is high in labor costs. I remember the dealer wanting to charge me over $200 to change a light bulb in my gauge cluster(!!!11). Ended up doing it myself for free. :3

It won't just cost you your arm, it will cost you your leg as well. :P :AH-HA_wink:

And my first born? :smilewide:

Electrical stuff is a PITA for sure. Anything involving the interior is high in labor costs. I remember the dealer wanting to charge me over $200 to change a light bulb in my gauge cluster(!!!11). Ended up doing it myself for free. :3

oh dear lord dont tell me! this weekend, i wanted to move some of my gauges (i have aftermarket Oil Press/Temp/Volts under the dash)O and i wanted them in the instrument panel, so i had to pull out the instrument panel, and i thought "i have a few bulbs out, ill replace them" kill 2 birds with one stone!..., ugh

i had to drop the column and pull the steering wheel, and practice some yoga to remove all the screws and wires to get it out.... i dont even WANNA know what a new car would be like!

wiring SUCKS! but at least my guages look good in the AC vent block off plate :AH-HA_wink:

oh dear lord dont tell me! this weekend, i wanted to move some of my gauges (i have aftermarket Oil Press/Temp/Volts under the dash)O and i wanted them in the instrument panel, so i had to pull out the instrument panel, and i thought "i have a few bulbs out, ill replace them" kill 2 birds with one stone!..., ugh

i had to drop the column and pull the steering wheel, and practice some yoga to remove all the screws and wires to get it out.... i dont even WANNA know what a new car would be like!

wiring SUCKS! but at least my guages look good in the AC vent block off plate :AH-HA_wink:

It gets worse as they get newer. Because of this need to hide any visible screws because screws = bad, everything fits together in a jig-saw kind of way. So you have to take literally half of the dash and part of the center stack/console apart to get at them. At least it has tilt steering. Today I helped my friend change the gauge cluster in his Corolla because his speedo crapped out. With no tilt steering it takes patience and a small miracle to get it out of the dash, even though the actual process isn't too hard, getting it around the steering column and gauge shroud is a pain in the butt.

Well, I know there's wiring under my car's floor, maybe that's where the problem is.

Well, I know there's wiring under my car's floor, maybe that's where the problem is.

There is a good chance..

Well, today I was at a buddy's and when I was backing out when I left he called me and told me that my back up lights are out. I tested at home and sure enough, my back up lights both won't come on either. So you can add that to the list of things that the gremlins have gotten to. That Cobalt lease is looking more appealing by the minute.

:banghead:

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Well, today I was at a buddy's and when I was backing out when I left he called me and told me that my back up lights are out. I tested at home and sure enough, my back up lights both won't come on either. So you can add that to the list of things that the gremlins have gotten to. That Cobalt lease is looking more appealing by the minute.

:banghead:

When your turn signals and backup lights start to go you really have to get it fixed man. This probably won't help, because tehy are different cars, but a month or so ago I had the center stack of the Prizm out to replace something. The way it's built the Hazard and rear window defroster buttons (as well as the HVAC controls) are mounted to teh bezel not to the dash, so you have to unplug them to pull the bezel more than a couple inches away. After I was done I remounted the center stack and went to work, only to discover my turn signals didn't work at all...and neither did my hazards. On a hunch, I pulled off the bezel again and sue enough the button wasn't plugged in. When I plugged it back in everything worked fine.

This may just be useless information, but maybe there's a chance something simple like a wiring harness just came loose. Otherwise I'd say bad wires that need to be replaced.

When your turn signals and backup lights start to go you really have to get it fixed man.

Well Obviously... I wouldn't be very safe or conscious if i didn't now would I?

:smilewide:

Well Obviously... I wouldn't be very safe or conscious if i didn't now would I?

:smilewide:

It's be perfectly safe!

The Beast's left turn signals stopped flashing, they just light up steadily, but the hazards and right side work fine.

I tell you... Your Cavalier... My Cutlass... That cliff... *nods* Just give in. We'll have a wonderful show. We can invite people from all to watch and make money from it, too. :P

And my first born? :smilewide:

Hate to break it to you, but it seems they might just want your wife and the dog as well! j/k :smilewide:

Hate to break it to you, but it seems they might just want your wife and the dog as well! j/k :smilewide:

You know, that might NOT be too bad a deal. Just try to convince them to let you keep the dog. :P

BV, I may yet give it a Viking Funeral :P

BTW now the Brake Lights won't Work. So I'm not driving it until it's fixed. My mom's on a short sabbatical so I can borrow the Maxx in the meantime.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0