Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Project Mothertruck

256 posts in this topic

So much fun!! I'm excited to see more pics. It's cool to see somebody doing one of these old big ass trucks, kinda tired of seeing all the perfect shortwide regular cabs running around. At least this truck could actually be useful and hold more butts besides just being pretty.

So much fun!! I'm excited to see more pics. It's cool to see somebody doing one of these old big ass trucks, kinda tired of seeing all the perfect shortwide regular cabs running around. At least this truck could actually be useful and hold more butts besides just being pretty.

Thanks!

I'll add to this when the project reaches the top of the list. (pics too)

It's cool to see somebody doing one of these old big ass trucks, kinda tired of seeing all the perfect shortwide regular cabs running around.

Totally agree. Not often you see a crew cab fleetside done up nice; it's a very uncommon configuration. What year is it again?

It's an '88.

It started life as a medic unit.

There's a pic you can download back a ways in the thread of what it looked like then.

I'm toying with the idea of just putting this one back together and selling it as is.

I'm toying with the idea of just putting this one back together and selling it as is.

Awww, how come?

Well, because I'd like to get down to a smaller number of projects at the same time generally.

And because I keep seeing cars I'd like to have and don't have the cash. :AH-HA_wink:

This truck could be on the road and street legal with very little work, the engine has all of 2 miles on it, the frame has been blasted and painted, and I have tons of new GM stuff ready to bolt on.

The holdup, as usual, is finding an affordable and reliable bodyshop to get the paint done. That's the only reason it wasn't finished a couple of years ago. The bodyshop "never got to it" and lost a pair of doors I had for it as well as the body hardware.

Not a done deal yet, but I may bail out of this one to move other things forward. I have too much in it to give it away though, so we'll see what happens.

I understand the body shop problem believe me. I have to deal with them all the time since the dealer I work for doesn't have one. I found one good reliable shop that actually is pretty damn fast, but they are expensive, because they are so damn good. They mostly only do resto work, custom paint, hot rods, that sort of thing. But they do quite a bit of work for us, mostly small stuff. Finding a good machine shop around here is a much much bigger problem. They are all slow and do crappy work. We basically gave up, and we found a place that sells reman heads for super cheap and they do REALLY good work, but they are in Texas. For bigger stuff, like engines, we just sell the crate motors, it's much easier and faster.

I really want to have my own setup for painting so I can avoid this huge hassle with every project.

But that isn't realistic for me right now, so...

Yeah if you do that many, it would be a great help. But expensive to get setup. I have a friend who has done just that, and does work for other people on the side. It's helping to pay for the intial setup.

Well, because I'd like to get down to a smaller number of projects at the same time generally.

And because I keep seeing cars I'd like to have and don't have the cash. :AH-HA_wink:

This truck could be on the road and street legal with very little work, the engine has all of 2 miles on it, the frame has been blasted and painted, and I have tons of new GM stuff ready to bolt on.

The holdup, as usual, is finding an affordable and reliable bodyshop to get the paint done. That's the only reason it wasn't finished a couple of years ago. The bodyshop "never got to it" and lost a pair of doors I had for it as well as the body hardware.

Not a done deal yet, but I may bail out of this one to move other things forward. I have too much in it to give it away though, so we'll see what happens.

Well, how about giving it away free to a dedicated GM truck fan that will care for it for a long time?

. . .

. . .

. . .

Okay, stop laughing now! :lol:

For the lazy here... :P

It's an '88.

It started life as a medic unit.

There's a pic you can download back a ways in the thread of what it looked like then.

post-418-1207800217_thumb.jpg

Good decision. Hold out for a '70 like you used to have. Those double headlights really make the vehicle; a '71-'72 just isn't as cool.

Yeah, but any factory 4spd. Camino gets my instant attention.

But nothing will really replace the Spacetruck but another fat block with a manual. Especially wrapped in 1970 sheetmetal.

I get the feeling that when I get another one, it won't require me to restore it.

I could be wrong about that though.

Looks like I'll need to add some money to the budget for this project.

While working on the wagon a few days ago, I looked over at The Mothertruck to see that its rear window had spontaneously exploded! Weird since the truck has been completely still and untouched for a very long time.

The worst part is that I had at least one spare window hanging around for years, now it seems I must have given it away at some point. :cussing:

Ilch. You'll be removing glass shards forever.

I'm almost certain you could find a decent rear glass for one of these at a junkyard.

Ilch. You'll be removing glass shards forever.

I'm almost certain you could find a decent rear glass for one of these at a junkyard.

The window is "cubed" top to bottom and side to side, but is still in place so far. I think I'll cover it in and out with contact paper or something before removing it to minimize the glass shards.

I know this window should be an easy find, but it galls me that I had at least one in stock for years - and now that I need it , it appears to be gone.

Dude, seriously, who owned this place before you moved in? Look at that beautiful old rugged stone and timber barn with nice modern structural steel, smooth concrete floors, high ceilings, new doors and windows that look old, new floor joists; it's brightly lit and everything. I tell ya, the things I'd be doing with a space like that.....

Dude, seriously, who owned this place before you moved in? Look at that beautiful old rugged stone and timber barn with nice modern structural steel, smooth concrete floors, high ceilings, new doors and windows that look old, new floor joists; it's brightly lit and everything. I tell ya, the things I'd be doing with a space like that.....

The only thing original about the barn is the twelve feet of stone wall on three sides. The rest is new, rebuilt after burning to the ground after a lightning strike a few years ago. I was here then and it scared the crap out of me!

Maybe someday I'll post the whole story.

Still a beautiful place to work. I like the Jag in the background also!

Chris

The bed looks cruddy but the rest looks pretty good from those photos. I agree that I'd love a place like that to work in. You should share that story sometime Camino.

What's up with the frosted rear window? Was it that cold in the shop? :huh:

Not frosted. It shattered a few months ago for no apparant reason while sitting still in the same spot it had been in for several years. I don't know why it happened.