Project Mothertruck

I still think you should assemble the Jag more to reduce the intimidation factor (without worrying about restoration) and sell it to finance the projects you like more...

Maybe.

But I'm not so sure that that would be cost-effective. The Jag has about zero resale value at this point, even if it was restored.

Maybe.

But I'm not so sure that that would be cost-effective. The Jag has about zero resale value at this point, even if it was restored.

I was thinking just straight labor -- no new parts, repainting, etc -- just take all the bags labeled in Russian or whatever and just assemble the car and sell it.

• 1 year later...

It's the one way you can get the HD truck you really want, without loans or anything else.

Would make one heck of a tow rig when that low miles 72 becomes a race car.....or the Jag breaks down....

A slide in camper would be a fantastic idea....although I like the idea of a vintage Airstream to pull behind it.

Insted of you and me and a dog named boo...it would be You and Zora and a dog named Arkus....

Keep us posted, bob.

I've considered the Airstream idea many times.

That said, the notion of those two clydesdales in any horse trailer frankly scares me!

I'll post any news.

Fixed for ya....

I'll take that as a sign...that some day I can come get a certain stalled El Camino project at a reasonable price! Can't do anything right now, but....

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with the donor truck, and what parts do you need off of it?

Looks like the donor truck could be an excellent work truck with a little help!

Nothing is wrong with it - it just would save me about 6-months on this project if I raid it for parts. Both the exterior and interior are perfect matches, and the condition would save me a great amount of interior and paint work.

If it really is as good as it seems to be, then I could swap the parts and both trcuks could survive. Or I could part out what I don't need - starting with the cargo box.

I see one really cool vehicle (mothertruck) and one ratty, olive drab work truck/tow vehicle....

good luck, keep us posted, and don't forget about our little 72...

Good eye!

It is an '83.

Isn't that the only year that grille was offered? I always thought it gave the Silverado a little luxury look, especially when compared to the gray plastic standard grille.

I take it the donor truck would donate the cab, in addition to the interior? Is the bed a long bed or short bed? I think a shortie crew cab would be awesome, especially since the factory didn't offer that at that time.

I need to ask you to explain two things - Mothertruck and Spacetruck. What do they mean? Where did they originate from? I take it Spacetruck must refer to the futuristic design of the El Camino, since you've referred to your old SS as the Spacetruck. But I'm totally lost on the Mothertruck term.

By the way, what kind of American Racing rims are those? I've always liked that design and it looks very similar to the design Chevy/GMC offered as an optional rim on those year trucks.

Lots to answer there, Roger.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that '83 was the only year for that grille. I hadn't considered using it, but you've got me thinking about it.

No, the cab would not be used. But the doors and front sheetmetal would. Also the interior would be used, along with the rear window and some other items.

A shortie crew just isn't going to happen - cutting down a frame is not on my agenda.

Mothertruck is the name a former employee of mine gave this truck. Mothertruck as in Mothership, or Mother F-ing big truck.

Spacetruck comes from the Deep Purple song Spacetruckin. I don't remember who coined the name for my 454 SS El Camino - but it stuck. We also used to refer to certain activities of ours back then as "going Spacetruckin" if we took the Camino.

Good eye on the American Racing rims too - I chose them because they look like the optional rims used on the half ton trucks (usually Blazer/Suburban) in the late 80s. They were never offered on the heavier trucks. I don't remember AR's name for the design.

Thanks for the responses Camino. Not that there's anything wrong with the grille you have; it is accurate for the model year compared to the '83s. I wasn't sure if the bed was long or short, seeing as how it didn't originally come with one, but after looking through the two posts I did notice the new bedsides you have are the long version after I already asked. I've always liked the look of the 3+3 Crew Cab long bed without the dual rear wheels.

Does the Mothertruck have a dent in the roof? I see that it also has the grab handles installed on the roof too. That is why I thought you were going to swap the cabs out, plus the fact it wouldn't require as much prep for painting (with the blue stripe on the Mothertruck).

Either way, getting the donor truck would expedite your project timeline. With all of your time, effort and hard work, this will be one great looking Chevy 3+3 in the end. Keep us updated please!!

There are three reasons I wouldn't use the donor cab.

1) I'd have to convert it to 4WD, and rewire the new cab with the original harness to work with the EFI and existing equiptment.

2) Mothertruck's cab is in decent shape.

3) The VINs would no longer match and I'd have to file for an "R" title.

I think there might be a minor dent in the roof, but that's no big deal. What you see as grab bars are actually mounts for a lightbar - I'll be removing them. I have a neighbor who is good with a welder - so all unused holes will be welded shut prior to paint.

The caveat here is that if the deal on the '72 Vette comes through, I won't be able to buy the donor truck. That won't stop the project, but it will take my timeline back to a longer duration. The parts I would use from the donor would save a ton of time, but the originals are good pieces as well that just require more prep.

Either way, I will post when anything happens.

Edited by Camino LS6

Does the crew cab pickup share front and rear doors with the Suburban? If so it might be easier (and possibly cheaper) to look for one of those as a donor vehicle.

• 6 months later...

With the way things are these days, I am considering just keeping all of my projects and moving this one to the front of the line for completion.

It really could do everything I need a vehicle to do. So it could become my main driver.

If I go that route, maybe a more personalized resto job is in order.

I was going for all stock (except the wheels), and painted the original white.

Now I'm thinking maybe not.

Anyway, the "least favorite color" thread got me thinking about it.

What colors might look good on such a huge beast of a truck?

It would have to go with the blue interior as I don't want to change that.

Any ideas?

Anyone want to do a photochop?

Other custom touches?

Looking for some input on this.

Something with white and midnight blue maybe?

Two tones with white/blue, I prefer seeing a more medium to royal blue. IMHO, the white tends to make the Midnight Blue look like black.

I was considering someday doing a white/blue two tone on the currently white '92 Firebird... so that the blue on the lower parts of the body are very light to give the impression that the car is chiseled out of a cube of snow. Kind of a 'Icebird'... with a very subtle "freezing chicken" on the hood.

Edited by SAmadei