Car disease strikes again

I think you're better off. It almost looks like they threw the paint on it to cover up something. The fact that the vinyl isn't off and the floorboards still have surface rust on them is a telling sign. I'll bet whoever strips that paint off is not going to like what they see.

Personally, I think Project Camino is going to turn out to be a cooler, more satisfying project than this ever could become. Everyboy and their brother tries to turn every 70-72 Chevy A-body into an SS454 clone. You pretty much have carte blanche with your '77. Since you don't see too many of them, it's bound to turn heads no matter what you do to it.

I think you're better off. It almost looks like they threw the paint on it to cover up something. The fact that the vinyl isn't off and the floorboards still have surface rust on them is a telling sign. I'll bet whoever strips that paint off is not going to like what they see.

Personally, I think Project Camino is going to turn out to be a cooler, more satisfying project than this ever could become. Everyboy and their brother tries to turn every 70-72 Chevy A-body into an SS454 clone. You pretty much have carte blanche with your '77. Since you don't see too many of them, it's bound to turn heads no matter what you do to it.

Very true,Z.

To be fair, all exterior sheetmetal on this one is excellent. The trouble is that they didn't really fix what was underneath first. That, and lots of other details turned me off to the car.

If it had been what I was expecting, I might have moved mountains to own it. As it turned out, I got a bad vibe from all the work that would need to be done a second time to make it really right.

Project Camino would have only suffered slightly if I had gotten this one. I would have toned down the drivetrain plans, but that's it. I am committed to finishing that project. This car would have gone into deep storage until the rest were finished.

...personally, I just don't mess with rusty cars...

Chris

Obviously, I'd rather not.

However, what the car is and how "right" it is otherwise make rust repair something I'd be willing to deal with to a certain degree and for certain cars. It is only one factor in how I judge a classic car I'm considering. If you can't deal with any rust issues, you'd better have a big wallet when it comes to classics.

If this car had been more "unmolested" but looked worse, I actually would have been more interested in it. As it was, it could have been finished in a way that would have hidden most of the rust issues - but that's not the way I do things. I would have taken the car down to zero and started over - and it just wasn't "right" enough in other respects for me to take that plunge.