C R A S H

Just watched the movie Crash today on 'OnDemand'. Anyone else seen it? Waht did you think? I think every person in America should see that movie at least once. The only thing I did not like about it (minor complaint) is it had a very subtle anti-gun overtone.

If you mean the Cronenburg "Crash", I thought it was brilliant, but I wanted to take a shower afterwards, much like I did reading the book. If you mean the Sandra Bullock one, I already did the "perils of white people who dare to leave Brentwood" with "Grand Canyon", and frankly, I don't need to do it again.

Was it the one with the Lincoln convertible?  That movie was awesomely twisted.  That one sex scene blew me away.

[post="33246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, that's the Cronenburg one. It's based upon the book by JG Ballard.

I'm pretty sure he means the Sandra Bullock version, since Cronenberg's is a few years old. Sly, I would have to say that was without a doubt one of the best movies I have ever seen. Made me think. I didn't even catch the "anti-gun" opinion, since I'm already "anti". Another major pick of the week, would be the newly released to video, "Lords of Dogtown" - excellent, excellent, excellent piece of work.

He's talking about the new one. I saw it not too long ago and I loved it. It's an exploration of conflicts in race relations from multiple perspectives, and it really shows how in reality very few things are black and white. There are no good guys in the movie, and there are no bad guys. As for a subtle anti-gun overtone - I am really not sure what you expect - the movie is realistic, and, in reality, people are often too quick to shoot, too trigger happy, and too paranoid (buying a gun for protection). In reality, people's lives are infinitely complicated, not by the existence of guns, but by the mentality surrounding them. In this movie, as is true in real life, these characters would have been better off, and race relations would have been better off, for that matter, had guns not come into play. Truth cannot contradict truth. Subtle overtone or not, what was portrayed is not unheard of. I absolutely loved the movie, although I thought it could have been made a bit more appropriate for younger audiences with a few unnecessary things taken out here and there. I agree, this is a beneficial movie to watch. - E.S. Mail

Wow, I'll have to go get this older version of Crash wiht the Lincoln ragtop... please say it's a '61 Conti. :D As far as the one I was talking about (new Sandra Bullock & Brendan Frasier movie) I thought it was very realistic. As far as the anti-gun thing I'll say this: I'd never take a gun to a situation like the store owner with the locklsmith. Right there he crossed the line between protection and just plain stupidity. I'd buy a gun to protect my family. That's it. Not my car or house or money... those are replacable. If someone stole my Camaro right from my driveway and I haad an opportunity to fire on them I'd shoot at the tires if I was pissed enough. Shooting someone over a theft is dumb. If some phsycho ever tried to kidnap my g/f or daugher or tried to hurt my family you bet your ass they'd have a few hollow points lodged in their chest. Like they say, guns do not kill people, PEOPLE kill people. That locksmith told the guy about the door and then just walked out wihtout getting paid... the store owner was an ignorant prick and it was HIS fault the door was not repaired. To then go out and try to kill the locksmith is just greed and stupidity.... nothing else. Teh store owner's family was not being threatened... therefore he should never have taken that gun out of the drawer. Don't get me going, I'm VERY pro-2nd amendment.

well since my other job is working at a blockbuster i did get to watch it, and feel asleep, i was bored. havnt given it a second chance because there are other movies on the priority list. Lords of Dogtown was excellent. Other movie suggestions: Kingdom of Heaven The Longest Yard Unleashed Memento Fight Club PI Requim for a Dream Better off Dead and this should become a new post...but i am off to blockbuster so i will do it when i come home if no one beats me to it...

Kingdom of Heaven was a waste of $4. I kept watching the movie thinking it would get good, then it ended. I cant believe the same director of Gladiator was responsible for this movie. Gladiator is one of my favorite movies, and was the reason for renting Kingdom of Heaven. What a disappointment.

Wow, I'll have to go get this older version of Crash wiht the Lincoln ragtop... please say it's a '61 Conti. :D

It's a '63 convertible, IIRC...gets trashed. The Cronenberg 'Crash' is a very twisted movie...I'll have to watch it again..haven't seen it since I saw it in the theatre when it came out.. (made for an unusual date movie..)

I saw the new 'Crash' about a month ago..very good, IMHO... I liked the multiple intercutting storylines and the complicated characters... my favorite character was probably Terrence Howard's.. great soundtrack, I thought.

Speaking of movies, I watched a couple of strange-but-interesting foreign films this past weekend--the South Korean 'Oldboy' and French 'High Tension'. High Tension was pretty scary and gory, not the usual Hollywood slasher flick. Speaking of foreign movies, I always watch them in their native language with English subtitles...dubbing turns me off completely..anyone else do that?

I agree Moltar. Foreign movies are much better in their original language. It's just too corney when they dub excellent movies with stupid voice overs. For example, I just saw "Hero" and instead of using the original audio, they used dubbed over the movie with actors who have mandarin accents. What's the point? Do they really think we're that stupid that we're unable to read? I like the newer Crash. That movie really makes you think about how you act in real life towards others. A few cliche moments but other then that, a very powerful film. Especially the scene with the car accident. I also just bought the soundtrack. One of the best scores of the year so far. I was really hoping Howard Shore's( LOTR trilogy) score for the new King Kong movie would beat it, but now that he and Peter Jackson have parted ways half-way through the post-production process, we may never hear it. Edited by Cadillacfan85

dubbing turns me off completely..anyone else do that?

[post="33611"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed.

'63 Conti ragtop gets trashed.... :( Those early 60s Lincoln ragtop 4drs are the only Lincolns that gets me really excited. I mean "Giddy like a school girl with candy in her pocket" kind of excited.