Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuperSport623

An Awesome Short Story

14 posts in this topic

So im finishing up my last english class of high school, and we're working on alot of shirt stories, most of them pretty boring. Our latest one is "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.

I love it! it has the craziest plot twist, and contrasts a "civilized" small american town with the barbarian nature that embodies every american, and holds a message that we ignore violence and suffering until it personally affects us. ive read it a few times, and everytime i read it i discover more symbolism, and im usually not this much into English stories.

Anyone read it? if your interested its not that long.

The Lottery

Brilliant story!

It was made into a movie which I saw in a behavioral science class (I think it was about 7th grade). Made the entire class go silent.

Deeply affecting tale.

i should be watching the movie today.. im in 4th period today, i think im watching it 7th...

its weird... most of my classmates are falling asleep while my teacher is analyzing the story, and im fascinated.....

i love storys that contrast human nature.... another favorite is Lord of the Flies, with the battle between the Id and the Superego, pulling us between our "civilized" side and our animalistic instincts

Check out the effect the movie has on your classmates, I expect that their reaction will be stronger than it was with the discussion of the book.

It was very disturbing. Shows what people will accept as part of a society.

I read it way back in the mid 80s and still remember it very well.

the movie, while somewhat cheesy, caught the rest of the classes attention (considering most of them didnt even read the story)

like i said, the more i analyze the story, the more symbolism i discover, like Old Man Warner and his representation of old traditions, and doing something just for the sake of it, because your expected to....

im such a dork :P

Reminds me of something out of that wacked polygamist sect, and also the movie "The Village".

the movie, while somewhat cheesy, caught the rest of the classes attention (considering most of them didnt even read the story)

like i said, the more i analyze the story, the more symbolism i discover, like Old Man Warner and his representation of old traditions, and doing something just for the sake of it, because your expected to....

im such a dork :P

You might be a dork, but it would have nothing to do with your being impressed by this story.

That just means that your brain works. :AH-HA_wink:

The Lottery was the first story I read and the first essay I wrote in English 10. Not my favorite story, but I've read worse (Lord of the Flies comes to mind).

Not my favorite story, but I've read worse (Lord of the Flies comes to mind).

Lord of the Flies was written around an interesting idea. It's just that the writing around that idea wasn't very great. :P

i remember we wat`hed the original movie version of Lord of the Flies.... WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

on eof the most cheesy low budget things ever.... my favorite part is the styrofoam boulder that kills piggy... :P

What did Old Man Warner mean when he said "It ain't the way it used to be...people ain't the way they used to be" ?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0