An Awesome Short Story

So im finishing up my last english class of high school, and we're working on alot of shirt stories, most of them pretty boring. Our latest one is "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.

I love it! it has the craziest plot twist, and contrasts a "civilized" small american town with the barbarian nature that embodies every american, and holds a message that we ignore violence and suffering until it personally affects us. ive read it a few times, and everytime i read it i discover more symbolism, and im usually not this much into English stories.

Anyone read it? if your interested its not that long.

The Lottery

i should be watching the movie today.. im in 4th period today, i think im watching it 7th...

its weird... most of my classmates are falling asleep while my teacher is analyzing the story, and im fascinated.....

i love storys that contrast human nature.... another favorite is Lord of the Flies, with the battle between the Id and the Superego, pulling us between our "civilized" side and our animalistic instincts

the movie, while somewhat cheesy, caught the rest of the classes attention (considering most of them didnt even read the story)

like i said, the more i analyze the story, the more symbolism i discover, like Old Man Warner and his representation of old traditions, and doing something just for the sake of it, because your expected to....

im such a dork :P

the movie, while somewhat cheesy, caught the rest of the classes attention (considering most of them didnt even read the story)

like i said, the more i analyze the story, the more symbolism i discover, like Old Man Warner and his representation of old traditions, and doing something just for the sake of it, because your expected to....

im such a dork :P

You might be a dork, but it would have nothing to do with your being impressed by this story.

That just means that your brain works. :AH-HA_wink: