Gas Mileage

in the search for a DD ive been trying to find gas mileage figures at possible cars... ive been using the fueleconomy.gov website (which doesnt go before 1985 :( ) and ive seen some old cars im interested... i just contacted a guy from my town with a 1980 V6 Malibu 4 door for $800... he swears its 22mpg... which if it is, i could stand that kind of mileage.... im trying to find info on it, no luck

also, found a 76 Chevette for the same price... despite a chevette being a girl repellent, i might consider it if it gets decent mileage... might be nice to have a classic RWD chevy as a DD

if it's comparable to a 3.8L (reman'd in 93 or so) 3speed regal wagon. 22 would prolly be accurate for a mix of driving. i used to get 17-18 on trips to and from highschool ....about 1/2 hilly 30-35mph and 1/2 45-55mph of an ~10 minute drive. steady 55-60mph with a lot of dead weight in the back on a trip to kentucky lake (sr. trip) i think i got 23...maybe 24 average.

but those numbers were when gas was maybe 1.20 a gallon. aka 6 years ago.

wish i still had it.... slap a 5speed or something on it, it'd been fun(ner)

Edited by loki

i saw the car tonight... :wub: its the ultimate old man car... i can picture a buick turbo motor sitting between the rails, but you think itd make a good beater? if it got decent mileage, maybe if its got really low gears out back, i can daily drive it!

i saw the car tonight... :wub: its the ultimate old man car... i can picture a buick turbo motor sitting between the rails, but you think itd make a good beater? if it got decent mileage, maybe if its got really low gears out back, i can daily drive it!

Decent, but not great milage...20s sound about right...

Granted, it would still be a sweet DD....

YJ, the first link you posted was the Ad... and i found out through emailing the guy that he knows the chief of my fire dept for 40 years.. maybe theres some wiggle room in this price.. would this be a stupid car to daily drive?

maybe i can swap a 200-4r over the summer, over drive gear for even better mileage!

YJ, the first link you posted was the Ad... and i found out through emailing the guy that he knows the chief of my fire dept for 40 years.. maybe theres some wiggle room in this price.. would this be a stupid car to daily drive?

Not at all.

It looks like a decent car, actually. My preference is with the coupe, but I would take the sedan too if it came in at that price point.

1980 Chevrolet Malibu 6 cylinder 3.8 liter 6 (A3) Auto 19 26

if thats correct, thats not to unbearable at all!

Man, that's rated better than my Lumina (17/25)! Lately I do a lot of highway driving and have been getting 23, but around town I only get 19.

might be nice to have a classic RWD chevy as a DD

*grins*

I can attest to the fact that it IS nice to have a classic RWD as a DD ;). he he

BTW ... those figures just can't be correct.

Observe:

2008 malibu 6 cylinder 3.6 liter R (S6) Auto 17 26

1983 Malibu 8 cylinder 5.0 liter 6 (A3) Auto 18 27

You're going to tell me that a 25 year old V8 Malibu gets BETTER gas mileage than a BRAND NEW "malibu" with a V6????

*pauses*

Course, that could be true ... I'm getting better daily driving gas mileage in my V8 1987 MC LS than the brochure claims the new G8 gets....

*shrugs*

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You really think you're in control?" ... Gnarls Barkley ... 'Crazy'