BMW M1 Concept

Unveiled: BMW M1 Concept
Celebrating the 30th Birthday of the M1
M1c-0.jpg
Link to original Article @ Carscoop

On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the M1’s birthday (click here for pics of the original model), BMW surprised us with the unveiling of a mid-engine sportscar study at this weekend’s Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este (April 25-27, 2008). BMW’s homage to the M1 blends the edgy styling of the original model with modern design detailing like the rear-diffuser, the miniscule door mirrors and the absence of the visible door handles along with an extra-wide body. An interesting detail is the new grille which could find its way into production at some point.

In all, we like BMW’s re-interperation of the classic M1 a lot as it’s totally different than any other model in the Bavarian automaker’s line-up but at the same time, it’s clearly recognizable as a “BMW”. There are no pictures of the interior – to be honest, we don’t even know if the M1 Concept has one- and BMW’s sketchy German press release makes no reference to the car’s mechanical underpinnings.

The company’s execs refer to the M1 Concept as a pure study created to honor BMW’s past but, one never knows and if anything else, the Bavarian carmaker could do with a limited production version of this prototype as the ultimate -halo- driving machine.

More images:

M1c-17.jpg

M1c-18.jpg

M1c-19.JPG

M1c-12.jpg

M1c-13.jpg

M1c-14.jpg

M1c-15.jpg

M1c-16.jpg

M1c-7.JPG

M1c-9.JPG

M1c-2.JPG

M1c-4.JPG

M1c-5.JPG

M1c-6.jpg

looks like a futuristic concept... from the 80's. The double badges on the back is lame, IMO. Looks like a lambo with a decent but outdated nose job.

Double badges are a throwback to the original M1, much like the rest of this car. Similar to the Mille Miglia concept, it won't progress much farther than what you see, but it is still kinda cool.

These are some original shots that were taken of it...posted a while back on a different forum, but it has been around for a couple weeks.

http://www.asphalte.ch/Events/VEste08/26_04_2008%20484.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/26/sneak-p...at-villa-deste/

Double badges are a throwback to the original M1, much like the rest of this car. Similar to the Mille Miglia concept, it won't progress much farther than what you see, but it is still kinda cool.

These are some original shots that were taken of it...posted a while back on a different forum, but it has been around for a couple weeks.

http://www.asphalte.ch/Events/VEste08/26_04_2008%20484.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/26/sneak-p...at-villa-deste/

It looks like it's trying to be a Camaro from the front, and I know it sounds crazy, but I think I'd rather have the Camaro.

The rest of it is horrible. Very disproportioned, horrible wheels, ricey details. Yuck.

I really appreciate the side sculpting and fascia design of this concept.

Yes.

I actually find the design quite clean as supercars go, not ricey at all. I also like the black element flowing to the back of the car from the side windows, the shape/sculpting of the front "fenders" and the wheel arches.

I would change the wheels though.

I like the retrofuturisticountach theme..

This design is infinitely cleaner than the Countach could ever have been.

And... I like it better than the original M1 by a wide margin.

EDIT: The design makes me think of the Pantera, and that's a very good thing.

Not sure, Autblog posted it and they don't know if it's a leaked photo or a really good chop.

It's a good chop. Look at the cut line between the head light and the grille. That blur is a fairly common sign of a photoshop. I'm sure I could examine the picture further and find more give aways, but that's after just a quick glance.

It is a good chop though, and definitely hotter than the M1.