Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Tornado flattens boy scout camp and flood updates

On top of sandbagging and evacuating my office today, I just heard that a tornado struck a boy scout camp in Western Iowa and flattened it, killing four scouts. Apparently it came up quick and they had no time to get into proper shelter.

Definitely some terrible weather we're having lately...they have closed down downtown, so I get Thursday and Friday off from work. The river is going to crest Friday morning at 24' above flood stage, which is a level they have never seen here before. The cops came into work today and told everyone we had to evacuate the building. Before that, we carried 2000 drawings dating back to 1979 up to the second floor. Now all bridges across the Cedar River are closed except for the I-380 bridge, and even then traffic is a mess.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

Yikes, Mustang.... I was wondering how you and others in Iowa I know are doing today.... Sure hope things work out eventually....

Crazy weather, indeed.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'll meet you in between" ... Tanya Tucker ... 'Lizzie And The Rainman'

Poor Monte Carlo

n16904062_37004433_505.jpg

This is the area of town I work...they're saying we might not be able to return until Tuesday

n16904062_37004436_1209.jpg

Near the I-380 bend north of downtown...380 is the only bridge open right now, and one of the three lanes is reserved strictly for emergency vehicles

n16904062_37004439_1993.jpg

Not too far from work

n16904062_37004437_1451.jpg

Mays Island, built during the City Beautiful movement in 1930, is completely flooded over

n16904062_37004435_976.jpg

And some of my own pictures...

These were taken a couple days ago when the flooding wasn't nearly as bad

n16904062_36996355_7110.jpg

n16904062_36996359_8282.jpg

n16904062_36996387_821.jpg

n16904062_36996391_1407.jpg

n16904062_36996395_1997.jpg

There may be a Crunch Berries shortage....the Quaker Oats plant in CR is the largest cereal plant in the world

n16904062_36996397_2288.jpg

Taken today...we had non-stop rain and I really couldn't get around because so many streets are closed off. Luckily, I still have power and internet! :pbjtime:

n16904062_37004412_4727.jpg

n16904062_37004415_5629.jpg

Those geese look confused, like they're saying "since when was there a giant lake here?" :P

In all seriousness, this is quite sad to see. Tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people are going to be without a home and probably don't have flood insurance in most cases. Lost of people are going to have a hard next 15-20 years.

n16904062_37004433_505.jpg

Aye...that is about the same type of flood level that my 2000 LS suffered in May 2003. It was finally declared a total loss on Friday, June 13, 2003...exactly 5 years ago this past Friday.

I've been to Des Moines a few times now...and I can only imagine what it is like to be there now. I recognize a few of the places in those pics. Hard to believe, too.....

Aye...and, I haven't heard from a few of my friends in the greater Des Moines area. I hope/pray that THEY are, at least, OK....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You got to roll with the punches" ... Van Halen ... 'Jump'

I understand the water's starting to fall back now. Hopefully the worst of the flooding is over... now comes the fun part, cleaning up all that mess. Just from the narrow focus of a car enthusiast's viewpoint, think of how many vehicles that will need to be junked (a VERY minor detail right now, I'm sure, for the residents).

Here's an interesting video taken by some firefighters in boats going through Cedar Rapids inspecting the damage. I go through this area every day on my way to work. You can see underground gas tanks that have floated to the top, semis that have floated downriver, etc.

http://www.vimeo.com/1172778?pg=embed&sec=1172778

So far, the water levels have receded a few feet and the water rationing has been relaxed because another pump is online again. All said and done, 1200 blocks were underwater as of yesterday and they are estimating about $800 million in damage for Cedar Rapids alone (compare that with $13 billion total for the Flood of '93, which affected a much larger geographical area). A lot of good has happened and people have really pulled together here, but some are trying to take advantage of the situation by posing as FEMA guys and trying to get social security numbers or scam people out of money...I can't believe how low some will stoop.

Surprisingly, the gas stations have not run up the prices for fuel...they are about the same as they were before the flood.

I left town Friday afternoon due to the water rationing but will be going back today since the water levels are receding. When I get back into town later tonight, I'll update with some more pictures I took a couple days ago.

Glad to here you are okay. I was wondering about you. In Dubuque, IA we have had no problems yet river is above flood stage (the Miss) but nothing nearly this bad. Iowa City (U of I) got hit bad *not a Hawkeye fan tho*, along with Des Monies, Ceder Falls, Waterloo and Burlington apparently. The Dubuque flood wall is like close to 30ft and were at like 22ft now so we should be okay. My heart and prays go out to everyone in the flooded areas. Side note HWY 20 that runs through DBQ that is flooded unlike I80 is getting lots of traffic police are directing it, and lots of merging on ramps have been closed. As a local I know how to get on tho. Certainly is a big mess for alot of people. Stay safe 'Stang and best of luck through this hard time.

Edited by gm4life

mustang, one thing that is not a blessing but a by product, there WILL BE lots of new contruction in your town for the long term future.....when grand forks nd flooded in 97 they built buttloads of new stuff for 5+ years after.

IOW, it looks like your job will be safe and you may have a chance to be working a lot!

Edited by regfootball