GM & Ford stock closing numbers today

GM closed at $9.98 per share

Ford closed at $4.36 per share

Just for reference Toyota closed today at $91.40

are you recommending anything with this post??????... other than hating on T?

What that does say is that GM's market capitalization is around $7 Billion - pocket change to Warren Buffet or Bill Gates.

In other words, if GM shows any signs of life, it's ripe for a takeover... something like what Kerkorian's doing now with Ford.

O

U

C

H

Thats a 74% drop, if I can operate a calculator.

And the lowest it's been since Eisenhower (Sept. 13, 1954, to be exact - not adjusting for inflation, BTW).

Edit - oh, and I was wrong - the current market capitalization for GM is now $5.65 billion, not $7B.

Edited by traumadog

>>"GM closed at $9.98 per share

Just for reference Toyota closed today at $91.40"<<

>>"Just for reference, what was GM at a year ago?"<<

>>"$38.02 July 2, 07.

Ford--$9.64 then."<<

Ooops; forgot toyota !! :

$127.78 -- July 3, '07.

GM is down 74% and actual share price decrease is $28.04.

toy is down 29% but actual 'share' price decrease is $36.38.

If one bought 1000 shares of both, the toyota 'stockholder' would have lost $8340 more that the GM holding.

If one bought the same $ amount of shares, the GM stockholder would have lost $17199 more (on 1000 shares) than the toyota holding.

Depends on your criteria of comparison.

But without question; yes - Ford & GM's stock prices suck- glad for my sake I didn't buy any back when it was in the mid $30s and it was getting talked up here.

Edited by balthazar

>>"GM closed at $9.98 per share

Just for reference Toyota closed today at $91.40"<<

>>"Just for reference, what was GM at a year ago?"<<

>>"$38.02 July 2, 07.

Ford--$9.64 then."<<

Ooops; forgot toyota !! :

$127.78 -- July 3, '07.

GM is down 74% and actual share price decrease is $28.04.

toy is down 29% but actual 'share' price decrease is $36.38.

If one bought 1000 shares of both, the toyota 'stockholder' would have lost $8340 more that the GM holding.

If one bought the same $ amount of shares, the GM stockholder would have lost $17199 more (on 1000 shares) than the toyota holding.

Depends on your criteria of comparison.

But without question; yes - Ford & GM's stock prices suck- glad for my sake I didn't buy any back when it was in the mid $30s and it was getting talked up here.

What? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Of course the higher priced stock will have higher absolute fluctuation with a percentage change--look at daily movements of Google or Berkshire Hathaway. And Toyota's market capitalization is $143 billion, compared to under $6 billion for GM.

What? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Of course the higher priced stock will have higher absolute fluctuation with a percentage change--look at daily movements of Google or Berkshire Hathaway. And Toyota's market capitalization is $143 billion, compared to under $6 billion for GM.

Considering Toyota is backed by the Japanese government, $143 billion is chicken feed.

>>"What? Do you have any idea what you're talking about?"<<

Just pointing out the fallibility of percentages. "74%" sounds horrible, of course, (and it is), esp in comparison to "29%". The stock price was compared to toyota & Ford above, but from the standpoint of an individual investor and told in actual dollars, if you bought the same # of shares of GM & toyo, you would have lost more money investing in toyota over the last year than in GM.

>>" Of course the higher priced stock will have higher absolute fluctuation with a percentage change"<<

Depends on the percentage...

well... no suprise here... keep it low, and i'll keep buying... if it raises... i'll start selling, its a beautiful plan... but if i sold now i'd be like 5k in the hole :(

i started buying at 37.5...

thought it wouldnt go below 35...

started buying again at 23... thought it wouldnt go much lower, was able to sell a bit at 25,

then started buying again at 20

then again at 17.60 (that 25 year low)

then again at 11.30 (55 year low)

if i had more money i'd buy more... but ive already got 18k betting on them to recover to mid 20's by this time next year at least

The entire stock market is down. The 'market valuation' of the United States is probably less than that of Luxembourg. (Okay, I am exaggerating - a bit.)

I've lost $4,500 in mutual funds in the past month. You cannot watch stocks on a daily or weekly basis. Trust me, that will drive you crazy. That is the fun fact about the internet: I can log on at any time and see how much money I 'lost' today. However, I can tell you, in April, when my funds were up over $1,000 in a matter of weeks, I was happy as hell.

We need to take a chill pill.