Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Does this mean the EpII Buick is "LaCrosse"?

wildcat

You probably read that GM's car plant in Oshawa will add two more cars besides the Camaro. The report I saw stated that Oshawa ". . . will also get some Chevrolet Impala production and an unnamed Buick model at some point in the future." Someone said the other day that the Ep II Buick couldn't be called "LaCrosse," because Oshawa had exclusive rights to that name. So now -- assuming they're talking about the EpII Buick / Invicta Concept -- does this mean it will be called LaCrosse? Or is there a chance that they mean another, future Buick - a possible replacement for the Lucerne?

thegriffon or PCS, can you just tell us what the name of the EpII Buick will be? :mellow: Us knowing that little bitty info won't hurt anything.

I'm betting it will be Regal or Invicta.

The Epsilon II Buick meant as the LaCrosse replacement (LWB) was promised to Fairfax and will begin production in 2009.

I can only assume that the Buick intended for Oshawa might be the Insignia-turn-Regal(SWB), as intended for China.... that is if Oshawa actually gets an Epsilon II Buick. It would be a boon for GM's intention for Buick, but nothing official has been stated.

No the EPII Buick is already Confirmed for a plant in the US as per the UAW agreement. it WILL NOT be made in Canada. The Buick rumored to be built there alongside the FWD Impala and the Camaro would be the Regal on Alpha.

No the EPII Buick is already Confirmed for a plant in the US as per the UAW agreement. it WILL NOT be made in Canada. The Buick rumored to be built there alongside the FWD Impala and the Camaro would be the Regal on Alpha.

Where did you hear this information? I think it seems like a better idea to give Buick a smaller EPII sedan to take on the TSX while the Invicta/LaCrosse takes on the TL. Pontiac can then get an Alpha as a cheap 3er type of car. I just don't see a Buick Alpha doing very well, doesn't seem to fit their image. Plus, it would be priced similarly to the Cadillac Alpha.

Where did you hear this information? I think it seems like a better idea to give Buick a smaller EPII sedan to take on the TSX while the Invicta/LaCrosse takes on the TL. Pontiac can then get an Alpha as a cheap 3er type of car. I just don't see a Buick Alpha doing very well, doesn't seem to fit their image. Plus, it would be priced similarly to the Cadillac Alpha.

I wonder if the US will get a Buick Delta II, i.e. a Cruze or Astra variant.

I wonder if the US will get a Buick Delta II, i.e. a Cruze or Astra variant.

Perhaps, but I think the SWB model makes more sense, because that's what the Aura was going to be on... I guess a Delta II model would be small enough compared to the SWB model, but I think it's best to just let Saturn go after premium small car buyers.

Perhaps, but I think the SWB model makes more sense, because that's what the Aura was going to be on... I guess a Delta II model would be small enough compared to the SWB model, but I think it's best to just let Saturn go after premium small car buyers.

I'm curious what the US Buick model line will look like in a few years...maybe a SWB Epsilon II to replace the LaCrosse and a LWB Epsilon II model to replace the Lucerne, and the Enclave.. (assuming that Epsy Dos replaces the Epsilon, W, and G platforms, unless GM is developing a new larger FWD platform, which I doubt. Or how about using Lambda to design large crossover sedans? :scratchchin: ).

Edited by moltar

Given the current state of design over at Acura, this would be a prime opportunity for Buick to get in there and steal away sales. Have you seen the new pics of the TL? Jimmy Durrante lives again! Or perhaps, "calling Marie Antoinette." The Invicta could lay waste to that thing. A shame, the TL was always such a handsome vehicle. I'll take sweap spear over hunchback wheel swells any day. Same goes for the TSX. Buick needs a smaller than Invicta entry, there is nothing premium about Saturn.

Somewhat changing the subject, but, the Riviera Concept far exceeds the design language of these new renderings of the NSX at Edmunds:

Link To Renderings

At least the hunchback fender swells are more integrated.

Another thought: Based on what we have heard about the Chinese Regal on the SWB, is there going to be enough difference between it and the Invicta to motivate NA buyers to choose between them? I see Regal as a completely different car, not just fascia changes. Other than a slight wheelbase difference, it sounds too much like Century and Regal deus to me.

Edited by InvictaMan

Given the current state of design over at Acura, this would be a prime opportunity for Buick to get in there and steal away sales.

Unfortunately it's most likely going to be a cold day in hell before Acura is seriously cross-shopped with Buick.....no matter HOW nice the Invicta is.

Unfortunately it's most likely going to be a cold day in hell before Acura is seriously cross-shopped with Buick.....no matter HOW nice the Invicta is.

Especially when Acura's uglies are on the way to market and Buick is still dragging along on Invicta production. I will tell you that I have two friends who opted for Enclaves over the MDX. And I am still considering those two choices. So there must be some cross shopping.

Especially when Acura's uglies are on the way to market and Buick is still dragging along on Invicta production. I will tell you that I have two friends who opted for Enclaves over the MDX. And I am still considering those two choices. So there must be some cross shopping.

The Acura 3.5 RL was one of the primary cars I cross-shopped/tested/compared with the Park Avenue Ultra.

The Acura 3.5 RL was one of the primary cars I cross-shopped/tested/compared with the Park Avenue Ultra.

You and I are hardly reflective of the vast majority of consumers out in the marketplace though.

And while I could envision cross-shopping between Enclave and MDX, I really, really don't see it for the car lines.

You and I are hardly reflective of the vast majority of consumers out in the marketplace though.

And while I could envision cross-shopping between Enclave and MDX, I really, really don't see it for the car lines.

Well, Buick's average buyer's age was down to 55 for 2007... I think a lot of stereotypes used against Buick are becoming outdated. If Buick gets a sportly, well-thought-out compact (Alpha - or Delta II) I think we'll have another Buick cross-shopped with Acura. Both are already planned to support premium vehicles (Alpha - Cadillac; Delta II - SAAB.) I have a feeling the Invicta will be compared/cross-shopped with the TL to some degree.

We'll have to wait and see.

I have a feeling the Invicta will be compared/cross-shopped with the TL to some degree.

I agree. Though I need SUV utility for business, gas prices are making me consider dropping a luxed up SUV that can do utility and drive clients around with some class. I'm thinking the old pick-up can handle duty and I can return to a more efficient sedan for daily driving. That is why I am waiting for the Invicta specs before I make a decision. The Acura TL would have been on my short list, but the new ones are just too ugly and I have issues with Honda now. The Invicta is definitely more appealing to me if it is executed as well as or better than the Enclave and it stands up to the competition. My biggest issue with Buick is the price. They seem unwilling to negotiate (at least that was my experience with three different dealers on the Enclave) and are still pushing prices that do not yet support the longterm value. It takes time, and buyers who are willing to take that gamble are not being rewarded in the sale.