Production Volt - Video Sneak Peak

pow

A nice glimpse. It's not the concept, but from what I can see, it is still attractive. I hope and pray they can pull this off, especially after the unprecedented hype. If this is what people truly want, more power to them.

Looks good. Honestly anymore I used to worry about the release date, or how it would look. Now I am worried about how expensive it will be and know it will never sell in Prius volume if the price nudges past 30K by alot. I just hope people buy it. I certainly WON'T be in line. But if it sells and helps GM then all the more power to them.

Guest aatbloke

I'm surprised at the styling if this is indeed the finalised design. It harks a good deal towards Honda's current theme (from the little GM is showing off of the new car) as opposed it its bold large one-piece crossbar grille set up first used on the Ultra concept and since used on the Malibu, refreshed Aveo and the Cruze. If the price point is reasonable, this could be winner for GM, but if the much-rumoured $40K asking price is true, that will greatly narrow its appeal.

volt2.jpg

408_0820%20(Custom).JPG

Looks good. Honestly anymore I used to worry about the release date, or how it would look. Now I am worried about how expensive it will be and know it will never sell in Prius volume if the price nudges past 30K by alot. I just hope people buy it. I certainly WON'T be in line. But if it sells and helps GM then all the more power to them.

I wouldn't sweat that too much: the Prius sells for far north of $30k around here and it has been a perennial strong seller. People will bend themselves in half to make themselves feel good as they drive home to their 5,500 sq ft home with 2-2 ton centra a/c units whining all day and heated, inground pool.

I wouldn't sweat that too much: the Prius sells for far north of $30k around here and it has been a perennial strong seller. People will bend themselves in half to make themselves feel good as they drive home to their 5,500 sq ft home with 2-2 ton centra a/c units whining all day and heated, inground pool.

Exactly, new loaded Prius' are selling for well into the $30k range. People will spend dollars to save pennies.

While people may be paying well into the $30k range, if people perceive the Volt as too expensive, they may not bite. Especially if the press starts telling everyone it's too expensive, then people will be inclined to stay away, as they don't want to be looked down upon for spending too much on an "inferior GM product", as the press may also decide to label the car if it doesn't please their every desire. Perception is crucial, especially for a PR car like the Volt.

I assume you are talking about CDN dollars as the US Prius is in the mid to low 20Ks. By that standard the Volt may cost $55,000+ in Canada.

I imagine the people that you describe are much more likely to drop 30K than 55K to buy their peace of mind.

$35K isn't too bad. A Prius currently costs $22,220, and a 40-mile Hymotion PHEV kit costs $9,995, for a total of $32,215.

For an extra $3K you get a factory installed job that's covered by the full factory 10/150K hybrid warranty.

I assume you are talking about CDN dollars as the US Prius is in the mid to low 20Ks. By that standard the Volt may cost $55,000+ in Canada.

I imagine the people that you describe are much more likely to drop 30K than 55K to buy their peace of mind.

You would be surprised. Some will buy it simply because it might mean for them never having to give money to the oil companies for gasoline.

Toyota advertises the Prius at $27k, but that is for a base model that you won't be able to get.

GM has a golden opportunity here because the Prius is such a boring car to look at and drive. If the Volt doesn't deviate too far from the concept, it has a good shot at attracting buyers who are mildly interested in a 'green' vehicle but wouldn't be caught dead in something as vanilla as the Prius.

If (as I fear) GM continues to water the looks of the Volt down until it looks like a warmed-over Malibu, then it won't have any perceived advantage over the (boring but 'safe') Prius and its sales numbers will reflect that.

No, USD... a loaded Prius MSRP's at over $28k with people paying a few thousand over that to get one.

I for one could never justify the cost, not when I can get a Cobalt and pay half the price for 10 less mpg's. At 20k miles a year, I'd only save $500 a year in gas with the Prius over the Cobalt. It'd take me 20 years to recoupe the cost difference, too bad I'd be buying a new set of batteries for the Prius more than once in that time.

Edited by BuddyP

being able to sell a known and "trusted" (by the sheeple) Toyota hybrid for 30k is far easier then selling a new and not so trusted GM

being able to sell a known and "trusted" (by the sheeple) Toyota hybrid for 30k is far easier then selling a new and not so trusted GM

There is some truth to that, however if gas was to hit mid $4's to $5 a gallon, people will walk into the chevy dealer and hand their wallet right over to the salesman.

Here's a shot I snapped from the video. Hard to tell what the interior will look like. It appears they have several versions.

Volt Image

About a year ago there were reports from Europe that Apple was collaborating with auto companies to develop a vehicle head unit. Reports surfaced multiple times for both Volkswagen and Mercedes. With the good press the MS Sync system has gotten, I wonder if Apple has indeed been working on a system and that we might see it debut in the Volt. That would be great. Imagine pulling into the garage and it connects to your home WIFI network then syncs with your iTunes library, so all of your photos, music, and movies are right in your car. Going on a road trip? Don't worry about DVD's the kids can just que up the movie from the iTunes library. That would sell me on the car right there.

Edited by network engineer

• 1 month later...