Mail trucks

loki

the wiki on the "Grumman LLV" says it uses the iron duke and sits on an s-10 platform...

why doesn't GM come up with an updated model with say... a 1.8L - 2.2L maybe with BAS model to replace these?

I heard that the gov't has a test facility for new models on NPR.

this would give GM some sure business and reduce gov't gas waste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

We're talking about mail duty... one of the hardest, most grueling regimens a vehicle can face. Plus, it's the US Mail. Reliability is absolutely paramount. If they could be assured of utterly reliable service over a longer period of time than the old Iron Duke to cover their higher purchase price, I'd be all for it. But that's a Republican POV, maybe it's out of touch with what the people want.:) Edited by ocnblu

I dunno what it's like in everybody's neck of the woods, but around here the Post Office has started phasing in new Dodge Caravans for some routes. The mail guy that delivers to my second job just got his; said he was one of 20 that got one after putting his name on a list and being picked at random. I just wonder if my area is a test, or if this is what we'll be seeing in the future.

My friend's mom is a rural mail carrier. She drove a late-90's Blazer over 300,000 miles without a problem, then traded it for a newer Blazer that gave her nothing but problems. She's been using an Olds 98 that the family has had sitting around. My mail carrier uses one of the LLVs, and I always know when he's coming because its loud, almost like it has an exhaust leak, but it runs and I'm sure it cheap to maintain.

I had a chance to pick up a RHD Subaru for next to nothing, but I know absolutely nothing about Subies and didn't want to run the rick of having something break and not knowing how to repair it. I've seen RHD Wranglers a couple of times, and if I ever get a chance to buy one, I will, cause that would be freaking sweet.

I had a chance to pick up a RHD Subaru for next to nothing, but I know absolutely nothing about Subies and didn't want to run the rick of having something break and not knowing how to repair it. I've seen RHD Wranglers a couple of times, and if I ever get a chance to buy one, I will, cause that would be freaking sweet.

I've seen a few RHD XJ Cherokees in Colorado.... they are pretty cool. Driving a RHD vehicle in the US seems like it would be challenging, though.

Edited by moltar

I've seen a few RHD XJ Cherokees in Colorado.... they are pretty cool. Driving a RHD vehicle in the US seems like it would be challenging, though.

For anything drive-thru or drive-up, it would be a pain. What I dont think I'd be able to do with a RHD vehicle is shift. I'm barely coordinated with my right hand, I couldn't imagine trying to shift with my left hand.

For anything drive-thru or drive-up, it would be a pain. What I dont think I'd be able to do with a RHD vehicle is shift. I'm barely coordinated with my right hand, I couldn't imagine trying to shift with my left hand.

The thing that would freak me out would be trying to pass on a two lane road...sitting on the wrong side of the car, it would be hard to do w/o a spotter. I'm sure I could I figure out the shifting..at least the pedal arrangement isn't reversed also.. :)

I generally agree with the original poster's idea. Some of you commenting on it increasing the costs of your mail services apparently don't understand just how valuable a few mpgs are to delivery fleets. Fuel-efficient vehicles pay for themselves very quickly in delivery fleets. I'm not sure I'd go as far as putting in a BAS system, but a strong ecotec-based setup with a purpose-built body would be an excellent offering.