Chazman

Is THIS Camaro right for our time?

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is THIS Camaro right for our time?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't know

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

68 posts in this topic

Simple question....

(Must be hot stuff, since this poll was locked on another site)

Edited by Chazman

Yes...

This is the Camaro that was promised.

Will it eat gas? Yes. Should you buy one if you're worried about that? No.

'nuff said.

In a few years we'll get a lighter Camaro (that hopefully still features a V8, if not, I'm out of the fold)

I say yes.

I would never buy it... but that's always been the case, gas prices have not changed that.

Gas prices also will not change the mind of somebody who has been wanting a Camaro since 2003.

A Hummer is an easy target for environmentalists to slag. Reasonable sports cars should be OK (Corvette, Camaro, etc).

Yes it will deliever the looks and style they promised and the V6 in LT trim will be a great seller I am betting. On style and performance this new Camaro will deliever and the V6 gets decent fuel economy.

Yes it is.

1. It is a nice piece at the end of an era where horsepower rules, but the start of an era where MPG rules. It still gets good gas mileage for its power and weight while maintaining great performance in comparison to the competition.

2. It shows that GM still has car guys who want to please the customer's need for speed.

3. It proves that there still is an automaker (albeit not the only one) who puts their compassion into the design, details, and every part of the vehicle they make instead of simply making a machine on wheels like so many manufacturers do.

4. This car will set GM up nicely for a smaller, lighter, less powerful, more efficient, just as quick 6th Gen Camaro and then they can use the PR to say, "Hey, we care more than you think and we know how to build a damn good car. Look how much this car has changed and it still has all the dynamics and excitement of the 5th Gen and more!"

Wrong car for the wrong time. (visions of 2004 - 2006 GTO, dancing in my head) This car should have been built on the Alpha platform. Sales will be moderate initially, then they will sink like a rock.

Wrong car for the wrong time. (visions of 2004 - 2006 GTO, dancing in my head) This car should have been built on the Alpha platform. Sales will be moderate initially, then they will sink like a rock.

:::looking around for any current cars using the Alpha platform:::

That's my point.

So, then, they should have pushed it back until a couple of years until the platform was completely designed and ironed, according to you.

Or it should have been a 2-door Insignia, according to you.

wow. i agree with PCS.

i tend to agree more with the editorial comment in MotorTrend that suggested a new era in American Muscle cars.

the Camaro is a throw back and will sell in the first year (when is that again) and then sales will wither and dry up like a pail of water in the Arizona sun.

the times, they are a changing and the Camaro would have been great in 2005. not so in 2009.

wow. i agree with PCS.

i tend to agree more with the editorial comment in MotorTrend that suggested a new era in American Muscle cars.

the Camaro is a throw back and will sell in the first year (when is that again) and then sales will wither and dry up like a pail of water in the Arizona sun.

the times, they are a changing and the Camaro would have been great in 2005. not so in 2009.

I agree--this isn't sustainable at all. If this car were lighter, and could be had with some turbo 4s, then it would at least be a contender in the coupe market...but honestly it's just way too big even for that. The V8 is priced way too low, and the 6 doesn't get good enough fuel economy. Wrong car for the time.

wow. i agree with PCS.

I agree. It took them too long to get this car to market. It will sell OK initially to fans who have been waiting to get a new Camaro. After that it will have to sell to the general market. It's just the wrong type car in this environment unfortunately.

I agree--this isn't sustainable at all. If this car were lighter, and could be had with some turbo 4s, then it would at least be a contender in the coupe market...but honestly it's just way too big even for that. The V8 is priced way too low, and the 6 doesn't get good enough fuel economy. Wrong car for the time.

I agree. I hope this car does well, but I just don't see it having the legs for that now. Being the sole remaining Zeta at Oshawa is not good news for it either.

I hope it does well enough that the Camaro brand will survive.......

Um, didn't they already say it will get a turbo 4? Unless I'm just behind on things...

Um, didn't they already say it will get a turbo 4? Unless I'm just behind on things...

Nope. Just considering it.

My hatered of the b-pillar being what it is, this IS the Camaro we were promised, the

GM muscle car guys have been drooling at mouth the for 33 months now & years now

and it looks like i a in the minority and I can admit that while I AM disgusted by the

B-pilllar most potential buyers will still scoope it up an grin from ear to ear for many

years to come!!!

Long Live GM Muscle! :spin:

Of course I voted YES, although this product & a Pontiac equivalent (GTO? Firebird?)

should have hit the streets in 2003, same as there shoulf have been a Zeta sedan

coupe & wagon for Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick & Oldmobile like M.Y. 1996.5!!!

But I do not have a time machine and enough of you hate me for being broken

record so I'm going to stop myself here....

The G8 and Camaro would have been smash hits had they debuted in 2004. I think the Camaro will be a more pleasant car to own than the Mustang.

Of course I voted YES, although this product & a Pontiac equivalent (GTO? Firebird?)

should have hit the streets in 2003, same as there shoulf have been a Zeta sedan

coupe & wagon for Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick & Oldmobile like M.Y. 1996.5!!!

The G8 and Camaro would have been smash hits had they debuted in 2004. I think the Camaro will be a more pleasant car to own than the Mustang.

Yeah, I voted "yes." Better late than never.

My concern is that if this car doesn't perform in sales, some within GM will argue that the Camaro is not worth replacing.

If handled correctly, the 5th gen Camaro could be a nice transition to a lighter Alpha 6th gen. Everything depends on how well the V6 model does. It does seem that it'll end up being a very pleasant vehicle to own all around and may attract customers that might never have previously considered a Camaro. GM needs to give plenty of marketing $$$ to push the V6 model (we know the V8 will be pushed). If they do that and people lose their prejudices they might have formed against the Camaro from past generations, the decision to make a 6th gen should be easy.

Also, running changes for the sake of increased MPG are very possible. Tweaks to the DI system in the 3.6L can be done with a software flash, and dual-mode hybrid systems, E85, the DI 2.0L, and DoD are all still on the shelf.

My concern is that if this car doesn't perform in sales, some within GM will argue that the Camaro is not worth replacing.

It's already a done deal. I wouldn't worry to much. Cadillac needs the economies scale that Chevy offers for Alpha.

It's already a done deal. I wouldn't worry to much. Cadillac needs the economies scale that Chevy offers for Alpha.

Cadillac?

As if that brand really has the power to help GM along.

I'm so sick of Cadillac being given way too much importance in future plans.

Oh, and the 5th gen will sell quite nicely.

Cadillac?

As if that brand really has the power to help GM along.

I'm so sick of Cadillac being given way too much importance in future plans.

Oh, and the 5th gen will sell quite nicely.

Well, Cadillac is 2nd only to Chevy in importance...Chevy's the volume brand, Cadillac is trying to grow into being a competitive, world class luxury brand..

Well, Cadillac is 2nd only to Chevy in importance...Chevy's the volume brand, Cadillac is trying to grow into being a competitive, world class luxury brand..

Keyword: trying

Cadillac is just the prima dona division. It costs too much and returns too little.

Keyword: trying

Cadillac is just the prima dona division. It costs too much and returns too little.

It has a lot of potential, though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor