Hurricane Ike Report

gmcbob

Well, I'm still alive and doing well. However, I'm writing this from my computer at work as I still have no power or cable at my house. Which totally sucks btw, considering the storm hit September 13th in the wee hours of the morning and I haven't had power since then. My wife and I are living off generator power - with electrical cords all throughout our house. Our beautiful huge cypress tree in the backyard uprooted during the storm and came crashing down on our shed, ripping the main power line running behind our house on 11th Street totally off it's pole, and damaging my service line too.

The big news from a car perspective though is that Ike basically killed my Jimmy as well. I had to drive through a flooded street on the way to pick up a generator for the house when a rogue wave came up through the air intake and killed the engine - and I mean utterly destroyed the engine.

Pics of my new car, purchased last Saturday, will be posted as soon as I get power and internet up at my house. And yes, it's a GM product. And it's not in a million years what I thought it would be.

I'll drop a hint though: PCS will be thrilled and probably ready to make a comment about how I've been "GME'd" or something. :AH-HA_wink:

I'll still be GMCBOB though.

Well, I'm still alive and doing well. However, I'm writing this from my computer at work as I still have no power or cable at my house. Which totally sucks btw, considering the storm hit September 13th in the wee hours of the morning and I haven't had power since then. My wife and I are living off generator power - with electrical cords all throughout our house. Our beautiful huge cypress tree in the backyard uprooted during the storm and came crashing down on our shed, ripping the main power line running behind our house on 11th Street totally off it's pole, and damaging my service line too.

The big news from a car perspective though is that Ike basically killed my Jimmy as well. I had to drive through a flooded street on the way to pick up a generator for the house when a rogue wave came up through the air intake and killed the engine - and I mean utterly destroyed the engine.

Pics of my new car, purchased last Saturday, will be posted as soon as I get power and internet up at my house. And yes, it's a GM product. And it's not in a million years what I thought it would be.

I'll drop a hint though: PCS will be thrilled and probably ready to make a comment about how I've been "GME'd" or something. :AH-HA_wink:

I'll still be GMCBOB though.

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe and fine. Sucks to have lost power, a nice tree, shed and an old Jimmy but if that was it, you were very lucky!

H'mmm Could it be an Arcadia? :confused0071:

My first guess on the GME'd game :P

Good to hear you're safe.

Too bad about your GMC Jimmy, I'd rather have a used S10 suv than a FWD Astra/Vue.

Good to see you post, gmcbob.

Glad you are well...hope the power comes back soon for you.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Where do you begin?" ... Dolly Parton ... 'Starting Over Again'

Yeah, I fell pretty lucky that the tree didn't go the other way and come through our bedroom, that would have really sucked. I'm hoping we'll have power in the next 2 or 3 days, as we're starting to see more bucket trucks, etc, in our neighborhood over the last 12 hours or so.

Well, I'll kill the suspense on the car (and I'll post pictures from home when I get fully up and running), but it's a brand new 2008 Saturn Vue XR in Carbon Flash with the 257 hp 3.6L. I never really thought I'd see myself in a Vue, but one drive and I was really impressed actually. We wanted something versatile to go along with the wife's sedan (great example: hard to fit a generator in the G35 we determined - although the generator fit very well into the back seat of the old 68 Impala Convertible, hahaha).

My only gripes so far about the Vue: 1) weird steering wheel position - it's tilted too far forward. And 2), the lack of a temperature gage. No temp gage is puzzling to me, but obviously not a deal breaker. With employee pricing and rebates and some money I had on a GM card, I got the car for about $4500 under sticker (or so).

I looked at a 2008 Silverado, but after determining that my wife would never drive it, I figured it would be best to get something we'd both drive. (she hates trying to park big trucks in small parking garages).

Pics of the car and my downed tree in the back yard to come!

Edited by gmcbob