Ice Storm Aftermath

So we had a pretty major winter storm here in New England last night. It's been crazy weather. Last weekend the temps were in the 10's and 20's, earlier this week they were almost 60 with one storm. Temps dropped back down with this storm that just passed over us, giving a good chunk of New England one of the worst Ice Storms in recent history. Apparently much of the area is without power, although we're lucky and still have it.

Here's some photos from this morning. I'll say this: ice is dangerous but it sure looks pretty.

100_2328.jpg

100_2316.jpg

100_2321.jpg

100_2323.jpg

100_2324.jpg

100_2332.jpg

Edited by Dodgefan

You call that an ice storm? We call that an average Tuesday in January.

We get snow more than ice, what you guys calla blizzard we call light to moderate snow. :P

But yeah, I saw pictures from that ice storm yu guys had down there a few years back (this was when my girlfriend lived in Witchia), that was crazy ice!

Which ice storm? The one in 2008 wasn't that bad, I only lost power for about a week, but there was quicte a bit of flooding in the spring. The one in 2007 ago was awful, no power for a couple of weeks, stations running out of gas, stores running out of groceries. 'Twas fun.

Which ice storm? The one in 2008 wasn't that bad, I only lost power for about a week, but there was quicte a bit of flooding in the spring. The one in 2007 ago was awful, no power for a couple of weeks, stations running out of gas, stores running out of groceries. 'Twas fun.

How do you have power out for that long? Is your infrastructure that bad, or do you guys need a more competent public utilities commissioner?

I'm surprised you have so many above-ground electrical wires. Parts of LA do too, but we only have the Santa Anas to worry about, not ice or snow bringing wires down...

Pretty common in older neighborhoods and older towns in many places...don't see them in the newer burbs, but in older central Phoenix (and Denver) we have 'em.....during the summer monsoon storms, a power line in the alley behind my house went down, power was out for 5 hours (not fun when there's a storm and it's over 100 degrees in the middle of the night outside).

Driving in an ice storm may be the driving condition I fear the most (though driving in an ice storm w/ heavy fog would be worse). I will never forget the 7hrs of white knuckle driving I did on I-5/I-205 around Portland in Dec '05 in a white Grand Prix rental.

Satty,

We visited KS/ last year shortly after the ice storm. If there was ice in AR it wasn't bad, but I remember going through Wichita and there was lots and lots of tree limbs down. The one she refers too as being really bad as probably `05.

Moltar,

I agree, driving in ice is the worst condition to drive in. Snow isn't bad at all, just use your brain, common sense, and patience and it's fine and even fun...except the traffic jams...

--

Went and did some shopping today. People are funny...acting liek it's the end of the world. Gas station were overflowing with cars, grocery stores were packed. Although I'm guessing some people are getting gas for their generators. Much of the neighboring towns are without power.

Also, that National Grid van is still parked there.

Edited by Dodgefan

How do you have power out for that long? Is your infrastructure that bad, or do you guys need a more competent public utilities commissioner?

Power lines dont like having an inch of ice on them, neither do trees. There were lines down and transformers blowing everywhere and trees weakening and falling for over a week, bringing down new lines because nobody was smart enough to trim their trees before the storm. At one point, our Public Works department had to drive to Arkansas to get diesel for the trucks because none of the local stations had any.

Ours last year was the worst on record, I was only without power for 5 days, but the grocery store was running out of food, out of work for a week because no power at work, this whole town shut down. We filled the biggest parks in Tulsa with limbs and trees. Still cleaning up a year later. One of the worst parts to me was Tulsa has a gorgeous park in midtown called Woodward and some aholes were wanting to cut down a bunch of the trees and people were fighting like hell to stop it, then the storm came and destroyed more trees there than they wanted to cut down. Very sad. But somehow, the survivor tree in OKC survived again, people were keeping vigil around it trying to melt the ice and keep any branches from breaking off. I believe the Council Oak tree survived as well. I have a major soft spot for trees, not like tree hugger, subaru driver weird, just love them dearly and it was so gut wrenching to see the devastation to them. There were people without power like 6 weeks or more after the storm. Crazy!!

Power lines dont like having an inch of ice on them, neither do trees. There were lines down and transformers blowing everywhere and trees weakening and falling for over a week, bringing down new lines because nobody was smart enough to trim their trees before the storm. At one point, our Public Works department had to drive to Arkansas to get diesel for the trucks because none of the local stations had any.

Wait...individuals have to trim their trees along public utility lines? In Indiana, every year, the electric company goes through and butchers the hell out of any tree that could interfere with an electric line if it is not properly trimmed. I've seen trees that once had a perfect shape to them suddenly have a giant "V" cut through them to accommodate a line.

Wait...individuals have to trim their trees along public utility lines? In Indiana, every year, the electric company goes through and butchers the hell out of any tree that could interfere with an electric line if it is not properly trimmed. I've seen trees that once had a perfect shape to them suddenly have a giant "V" cut through them to accommodate a line.

Ours does too, but it was beyond anything they ever expected. We had electric crews from countless states here to help.

Ours last year was the worst on record, I was only without power for 5 days, but the grocery store was running out of food, out of work for a week because no power at work, this whole town shut down. We filled the biggest parks in Tulsa with limbs and trees. Still cleaning up a year later. One of the worst parts to me was Tulsa has a gorgeous park in midtown called Woodward and some aholes were wanting to cut down a bunch of the trees and people were fighting like hell to stop it, then the storm came and destroyed more trees there than they wanted to cut down. Very sad. But somehow, the survivor tree in OKC survived again, people were keeping vigil around it trying to melt the ice and keep any branches from breaking off. I believe the Council Oak tree survived as well. I have a major soft spot for trees, not like tree hugger, subaru driver weird, just love them dearly and it was so gut wrenching to see the devastation to them. There were people without power like 6 weeks or more after the storm. Crazy!!

I think I know what you mean... I know when Hurrican Juan came through Halifax in 2003 it destroyed trees and parkland and it was kinda sad to see.

http://flickr.com/photos/rexton/50362723/in/set-212898/

I'll say this: ice is dangerous but it sure looks pretty.

*nods*

Indeed.

Awesome pics, Dodgefan. Been wondering how you and others out there have been coping....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"May your days be merry and bright" ... Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby ... 'White Christmas'