RamBox on 2009 Ram?

ltdaniels

I think it's a great idea. Big enough to be useful storage space (unlike the Titan's) that is lockable, drainable, and lit. Yet you don't have to worry about stuff in the bed being in the way to access it unlike the Ridgeline. Plus you can still fit plywood in there, whatever the standard unit of measure is.

This is similar to the Avalanche's storage system, right? Only this one seems much more useful, and I like its concept.

For my job, I keep various tools, and things in the cab of my truck that clutter it up which kinda sucks for passengers, so having something like this would be great to store my odds and ends.

And I have to say that the Ram is growing on me; it's pretty handsome, and a huge improvement over the previous version.

As someone who uses a truck as it's supposed to be- I find the RamBox's a fantastic idea. Wish my SIlverado had them. Gets my vote for the greatest pickup truck advancement since the extended cab.

DF- are they really lit, also? From one or both ends, I assume?

Edited by balthazar

As someone who uses a truck as it's supposed to be- I find the RamBox's a fantastic idea. Wish my SIlverado had them. Gets my vote for the greatest pickup truck advancement since the extended cab.

Yes I think they are lit.

I love that idea. There is no need for putting a huge steel or plastic box which takes up space in the bed. However, I wonder how good is the compartmentalization of those things. Seems it may be hard time to keep things tidy in there.

Yes I think they are lit.

I love that idea. There is no need for putting a huge steel or plastic box which takes up space in the bed. However, I wonder how good is the compartmentalization of those things. Seems it may be hard time to keep things tidy in there.

Yeah, there's a light on each end balthazar.

There's also movable/removable dividers that can be put in to keep things organized. You can see one of them installed in the slot closet to the bottom of the photo.

2009-ram.jpg

Yeah, there's a light on each end balthazar.

There's also movable/removable dividers that can be put in to keep things organized. You can see one of them installed in the slot closet to the bottom of the photo.

2009-ram.jpg

Let's try this again:

2009ramkw8.jpg

Ahh nice one. I guess it certainly is the most helping innovation in a PU truck. Nissan did start it, but Dodge made it so much better.

Get an Avalanche then? This idea has been around since at least 2002.

The ones in the Avalanche are lit and have a small drainage hole at the bottom. Fill the sides with a bag of ice and a case of beer.... I got your cooled cup holder right here.

And I used the Avalanche as a real truck too. It would haul construction materials and tools, and I'd even load pallets of brick into it with a fork truck. I'm certain I took it over it's payload rating, but it took it no problem.

Well, to be technical- Ford had side boxes in the '70s & '80s, so neither nissan nor GM started the pickup bed storage box.

>>"Get an Avalanche then? "<<

I've yet to see one up close as far as how it opens up, but every pic in that regard I've seen is intriquing.

When you pull the MidGate out, is it stored onboard, or do you leave it in the garage? What's the bed length on an Avalanche with the MidGate up?

Doesn't matter, I'm not in the market for a replacement truck for a long while, and overall I'm happy with my Silvie and it's overbuilt construction (2500HD DuraMax CrewCab 6.5' bed).

The Avalanche and it's midgate are brilliant.

But the Ram's execution of the side storage is much better.

Anyone else remember the composite bed GM promised us so long ago where the entire bedside flipped up to expose storage compartments?

It was supposed to become production circa 2000 IIRC.

test_storage_377x256.jpg

That looks rather small or those are huge boots.

The RamBoxes are pretty sizeable. 120 cans on each side, or room for a set of golf clubs.. I think the picture on the Dodge website gives a good idea of how much space there is.

Well, to be technical- Ford had side boxes in the '70s & '80s, so neither nissan nor GM started the pickup bed storage box.

>>"Get an Avalanche then? "<<

I've yet to see one up close as far as how it opens up, but every pic in that regard I've seen is intriquing.

When you pull the MidGate out, is it stored onboard, or do you leave it in the garage? What's the bed length on an Avalanche with the MidGate up?

Doesn't matter, I'm not in the market for a replacement truck for a long while, and overall I'm happy with my Silvie and it's overbuilt construction (2500HD DuraMax CrewCab 6.5' bed).

The midgate is brilliant. The bed is a 6 foot bed with the midgate up.

To make an 8 foot bed with cab open to the air:

1. Flip both rear seats up.

2. Take out the rear glass and store in the slot on the front side of the midgate.

3. Lower the midgate. Since you removed the glass, the rear support bar automatically lowers with the gate.

You now have an 8 foot bed completely open to the air.

To make a completely enclosed 8 foot bed:

2. Lower midgate. Since you left the glass in, the rear support bar remains in place to support the glass.

You now have a completely waterproof 4x8x2.5 storage space.

I found this particularly handy when hauling drywall in rainy Pittsburgh. I could leave the solid tonnue covers on and slide like 20 sheets of 4x8 whatever in the back and keep it all dry, even if it was downpouring. After I unloaded it, me and 4 friends could go out to eat. Yet the whole thing was as easy to maneuver as a standard cab pickup.

The midgate is brilliant. The bed is a 6 foot bed with the midgate up.

To make an 8 foot bed with cab open to the air:

2. Take out the rear glass and store in the slot on the front side of the midgate.

3. Lower the midgate. Since you removed the glass, the rear support bar automatically lowers with the gate.

You now have an 8 foot bed completely open to the air.

To make a completely enclosed 8 foot bed:

2. Lower midgate. Since you left the glass in, the rear support bar remains in place to support the glass.

You now have a completely waterproof 4x8x2.5 storage space.

I found this particularly handy when hauling drywall in rainy Pittsburgh. I could leave the solid tonnue covers on and slide like 20 sheets of 4x8 whatever in the back and keep it all dry, even if it was downpouring. After I unloaded it, me and 4 friends could go out to eat. Yet the whole thing was as easy to maneuver as a standard cab pickup.

I agree midgate is brilliant.