TV shows ... after the original run, etc.

Have you become a fan of a TV show AFTER its original run? Or, have you started watching a TV show after a few seasons have already been aired?

For me ... in some cases, I've missed TV shows because I watch something else in that time slot. In others, it is because the show originally ran when I was "too young". Most-recently it is because I'm tired of giving shows a chance only for them to quickly disappear, like ABC's "Eli Stone".

The newest "old" show I've started watching is former FOX staple "That '70s Show". I started watching because reruns are on late weeknights here in Chicagoland AND seeing Kurtwood Smith (Red Foreman on "That '70s Show") on CBS' new comedy "Worst Week" as Dick Clayton. Worst Weeks' Dick Clayton and That '70s Show's Red Foreman are similar and, imho, Smith is PERFECT for both roles. The two characters are different, mainly because Red Foreman's humor is verbal; Dick Clayton's humor is visual.

I recently read that Chuck Norris was the actor who had been originally "envisioned" as Red Foreman. Just think how different Red Foreman would've been with Chuck Norris as the actor behind that character....

The most-recent TV shows I started watching after a few seasons had been aired include ABC's "Boston Legal" (now gone, of course), CBS' "The Big Bang Theory" and "Friday Night Lights" (close to the chopping block, but given a reprieve by DirectTV).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We'd drive around" ... Cheap Trick ... 'In The Street (That '70s Show)'

Same here with That 70's Show. I liked it when it aired, but never had the chance to watch it that much due to work and extra-curricular crap back in high school and early college. About 3 weeks ago, I bought the series on DVD, and it's great.

I didn't start watching Family Guy" until after the first seasons were released on DVD. Still one of my favorite shows (also have all the DVD sets).

[scrubs] was in its 6th season before I go hooked on it (again, own all DVD sets).

All of M*A*S*H had aired before I was even born, but I'm still addicted (yes, all DVD sets are mine, thought I still want the big box set).

The newest of these shows is Arrested Development. Friggen' hillarious (Only 1st season on DVD).

Hill Street Blues on DVD, but Fox stopped the DVDs after the 2nd season :thumbsdown:

CHiPs wasn't old enough to understand the show when it was in first run, glad the DVDs are out now.

Emergency!, Magnum PI, Rockford Files, How I Met Your Mother, Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiam, The Larry Sanders Show. . .

I've been turning to cancelled series more and more over the past couple years, and almost never follow any shows that are still airing anymore.

Some personal favorites: M*A*S*H, Arrested Development, The West Wing, Life on Mars (BBC)

Plus a ton of anime shows: Code Geass, Death Note, Trigun, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, and of course, Cowboy Bebop

• 2 weeks later...
Same here with That 70's Show. I liked it when it aired, but never had the chance to watch it that much due to work and extra-curricular crap back in high school and early college. About 3 weeks ago, I bought the series on DVD, and it's great.

The entire series is on DVD now? I thought I had heard it was only the first couple seasons....

Hmmm...maybe I should pick that up. That might be one of the better "fork in the road" decisions that I could add to the list......sure would take the mind off the damage my '87 MC LS/CL suffered :(...

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=28057

Hill Street Blues on DVD, but Fox stopped the DVDs after the 2nd season :thumbsdown:

WHAT? Why'd they stop it after the 2nd season?

I know, in some cases, like "Murphy Brown", I believe, the issues is because of copyrights with music used in the series.....

b]Now, I'm not the only one to watch a new TV show, see an actor or actress, and think, 'I remember that person on...' ... am I?[/b]

I had reduced my TV watching in the late-1990s because most shows I started watching from the beginning ... and liked ... found themselves on the chopping block very quickly. Most recently, this happened to "Eli Stone" (featured Loretta Devine, "Boston Public"; Victor Garber, "Alias" and "Justice"; and Natasha Henstridge, "Commander In Chief") and "Pushing Daisies" (featured Chi McBride, "Boston Public", with the character crossing over to "The Practice" and "Boston Legal"; and Swoosie Kurtz, "Sisters").

But, since I hooked up my DTV converter box (received for Christmas), I've found myself watching MORE TV ... new AND older shows (mainly the older ones, though) because it is cool to see some actors and actresses "now" and "then" ... especially when actors/actresses are reunited, as was the case when Scott Bakula guest-starred on "Boston Legal". Previously, he appeared on "Designing Women" and "Quantum Leap", but the appearance on "Boston Legal" re-united him with Candace Bergen; both were previously on "Murphy Brown".

Other "connecting the dots":

"The Dick Van Dyke Show" ... Dick Van Dyke also starred in "Diagnosis Murder"

"Mary Tyler Moore" ... featured several stars including Cloris Leachman ("Facts Of Life", "Dancing With The Stars", etc.) and Betty White ("Golden Girls", "Boston Legal", etc.)

"The Bob Newhart Show" ... which many years later provided the absolute BEST sitcom ending in history (imho, anyway) when "Newhart" ended with him waking up in "The Bob Newhart Show"....

"Cheers" ... Who can forget NORM!!!? Also, Ted Danson (Sam) later starred in sitcoms on CBS ("Becker") and ABC.

"Frasier" ... "Cheers" spinoff, which included Jane Leeves (formerly of "Murphy Brown"), Jean Smart (formerly of "Designing Women", now on "Samantha Who?") and Felicity Huffman (formerly of "Sports Nite", now on "Desperate Housewives")

"Taxi" ... including Judd Hirsch (now on "NUMB3RS"), Danny DeVito (who's girlfriend became Carla on "Cheers"), Tony Danza (Tony Missele on "Who's The Boss" and also starred on "Family Law" opposite Dixie Carter, formerly of "Designing Women"), and, of course, Christopher Lloyd (who teamed with Michael J Fox on the "Back to the Future" movies...)

"Family Ties" ... 3 stars of which were on ABC shows in the last few years, Michael Gross and Michael J Fox guest-starring on "Boston Legal", Michael J Fox on "Spin City", and Justine Bateman on "Men In Trees"; Meredith Baxter-Birney guest-starred on "Cold Case" recently; and, of course, Courtney Cox moved from "Family Ties" to "Friends" ~5 years later

"Bensen" ... featured Rene Auberjonois, who was most-recently on "Boston Legal"

"Happy Days" ... Among others, Tom Bosley later starred in "Father Dowling Mysteries"....

Judi Dench ... BBC's "As Time Goes By" to the role of M in "007" movies.

Annie Potts ... CBS' "Designing Women" to ABC's "Dangerous Minds" to most-recently ABC's "Men In Trees".

Sally Field ... "Smokey and The Bandit" to ABC's "Brothers and Sisters"

Teri Hatcher ... ABC's "Lois and Clark" to ABC's "Desperate Housewives"

Peter MacNicol ... FOX's "Ally McBeal" to CBS' "NUMB3RS" to FOX's "24" back to "NUMB3RS"

Kyle Chandler ... CBS' "Early Edition" to ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" to NBC's "Friday Night Lights"

Connie Britton ... ABC's "Spin City" to FOX's "24" to NBC's "Friday Night Lights"

Tamara Tunie ... CBS' "As The World Turns" to ABC's "NYPD Blue" to FOX's "24" to NBC's "Law & Order: SVU"

Courtney Thorne-Smith ... NBC's "LA Law" to FOX's "Melrose Place" to FOX's "Ally McBeal" to ABC's "According To Jim"

Dennis Franz ... NBC's "Hill Street Blues" to ABC's "NYPD Blue"

Rob Morrow ... CBS' "Northern Exposure" to CBS' "NUMB3RS"

Kaley Cuoco ... ABC's "8 Simple Rules" to WB's "Charmed" to CBS' "The Big Bang Theory"

Christina Applegate ... FOX's "Married, With Children" to ABC's "Samantha Who?"

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...W Grill meal = 02/28/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We can take anything that comes our way" ... BJ Thomas ... 'As Long As We Got Each Other (Growing Pains)'

+1

A co-worker used to always tell me that I reminded her of Red. So one day this past year I decided to sit and watch an episode. I've been a huge fan since.

I didn't start watching Family Guy" until after the first seasons were released on DVD. Still one of my favorite shows (also have all the DVD sets).

+1

I didn't get into Family Guy until well after it was cancelled. Too bad the new seasons are such a let down. (The fun of Family Guy was how random and meaningless/universal it was... The new episodes try to hard to prove a point or push an agenda. If I want to see someone prove a point, I'll watch South Park. They're much better at it anyway)

[scrubs] was in its 6th season before I go hooked on it (again, own all DVD sets).

I still haven't watched a "current" Scrubs. Even the new ones I never catch when they actually air. I used to bitch a lot when they dominated Comedy Central, until I actually sat down and watched an episode all the way through.

Hill Street Blues on DVD, but Fox stopped the DVDs after the 2nd season

Man... It's been a while since I've seen that one! I remember when it aired on TV and I would watch it with my dad (Along with Night Court, which I enjoyed)

"Frasier" ... "Cheers" spinoff, which included Jane Leeves (formerly of "Murphy Brown"), Jean Smart (formerly of "Designing Women", now on "Samantha Who?") and Felicity Huffman (formerly of "Sports Nite", now on "Desperate Housewives")

Another one that I love and didn't get into until it was 'over'

Some others:

Seinfeld... Friends... King of Queens... Grounded For Life... The list goes on.

• 3 weeks later...
A co-worker used to always tell me that I reminded her of Red. So one day this past year I decided to sit and watch an episode. I've been a huge fan since.

Oh, cool! It's funny how sometimes you don't think much of a show, then one day, happen to catch an episode ... and suddenly become one of its biggest fans!

BUT ... I have yet to get into Friends.... I've seen a handful of episodes ... and still not all that into it.....

*shrugs*