Wine reccomendations

So, I'm not a connoisseur of wine, or alcohol in general for that matter. That being said, I was wondering some of the more well versed could help me out here.

I have no idea the various types of wine and what their name implies (Merlot for example). I'm looking for a wine that isn't overly strong (I don't like strong alcohol taste), that's smooth, and has a bit of fruit sweetness to it, if that's possible. Suggestions?

Well, I'm certainly no expert but it sounds like you should stay with white wines. In general, they tend to be "milder" than the reds. Keep in mind that the drier it is, the less sweet it will be.

One good choice would be a reisling which is my personal favorite. Some chardonnays can be good but I would look for an un-oaked version. Typically chadonnays are aged in oak barrels and I personally don't care much for that oaky taste in a white wine. Pinot Grigio could be a good choice. I'm not much of a fan of the white or pink zinfandels, but again, that will be your personal taste. Seyval blanc is another you might like.

There is so many kinds and such variation with categories that you might really like one winery's reisling and hate another. I'd recommend going to a local wine store and if you're lucky, someone there will be truly knowledgeable. With some input from you, they can point you to some good choices from the various categories.

If you are just starting out with wine, get some good stuff. My first experience with wine was some real cheapo stuff and I never touched it again for years. Now I truly enjoy whites and reds. Keep in mind that 'good' doesn't always mean expensive.

Well, I'm certainly no expert but it sounds like you should stay with white wines. In general, they tend to be "milder" than the reds. Keep in mind that the drier it is, the less sweet it will be.

One good choice would be a reisling which is my personal favorite. Some chardonnays can be good but I would look for an un-oaked version. Typically chadonnays are aged in oak barrels and I personally don't care much for that oaky taste in a white wine. Pinot Grigio could be a good choice. I'm not much of a fan of the white or pink zinfandels, but again, that will be your personal taste. Seyval blanc is another you might like.

There is so many kinds and such variation with categories that you might really like one winery's reisling and hate another. I'd recommend going to a local wine store and if you're lucky, someone there will be truly knowledgeable. With some input from you, they can point you to some good choices from the various categories.

If you are just starting out with wine, get some good stuff. My first experience with wine was some real cheapo stuff and I never touched it again for years. Now I truly enjoy whites and reds. Keep in mind that 'good' doesn't always mean expensive.

I will agree with just about all that is stated here plus here is some additional input:

Gewurztraminer is sweeter usually then Riesling. Both can be either dry or wet in their finish in the mouth. These wines will be fruity, on the sweet side and for most part very pleasing especially on a sunny day. If you want even sweeter wine, then you have the Ice Wine or late harvest wines. These will have even more sugar and the Ice Wine and Late harvest will also have a higher alcohol content but due to the sweetnes you will not tast the alcohol.

Wine is all about preferance and tast. I would strongly suggest you visit a winery and listen to them explain the wines, ask questions and try both red and white to see what you really like. If you have more questions fire away, [email protected].

Here is a great winery, it happens to be local to where I live in Seattle and is frugal. They do have more expensive wines, but for beginners, you do not need to spend allot of money to get an enjoyable wine. 10 - 15 dollars a bottle can get some very pleasing wines.

Columbia Winery

Here is a link to a collection of books on wines and how to understand them. Some great info

Wine Book Selection

Have fun as wine drinking and collecting can be very fun.

it happens to be local to where I live in Seattle and is frugal.

Do you live near Chateau St. Michelle or on the Eastside? When I lived up there, that's where I lived. Living on the Eastside was my salvation from all the weirdos that live in "the city" and their superior attitude.

To Dodgefan: A Merlot is a little less tart than a Cabernet Sauvignon. You could also consider a White Zinfanel which is actually kind of pink. These 2 go with meat and poultry. That is what I will drink if I HAVE to drink wine, as I dislike alcohol in general. Also, no one mentioned Spanish Sangria, which is imbued with fruit and therefore is even easier to handle than any of the wines I listed - the Merlot, the Cab and the White Zin.

Nothing like a good bum wine; try Night Train or Wild Irish Rose. To enhance the experience, drink it from a brown bag while sitting on the curb soaked in your own urine.

Do you live near Chateau St. Michelle or on the Eastside? When I lived up there, that's where I lived. Living on the Eastside was my salvation from all the weirdos that live in "the city" and their superior attitude.

To Dodgefan: A Merlot is a little less tart than a Cabernet Sauvignon. You could also consider a White Zinfanel which is actually kind of pink. These 2 go with meat and poultry. That is what I will drink if I HAVE to drink wine, as I dislike alcohol in general. Also, no one mentioned Spanish Sangria, which is imbued with fruit and therefore is even easier to handle than any of the wines I listed - the Merlot, the Cab and the White Zin.

Yup Grew up in Kirkland, specifically Totem Lake, went to Juanita High School and lived only 2 miles from Chateau St. Michelle which is across from Columbia. both have been there for ever. Great place to spend a weekend.

Woodinville now has 44 wineries, you can get on the wine bus and tour them all and just pay your tasting free and munch on the free food and have a great weekend.

That is a frugal weekend indeed. Great way to take a date out for fun time.

I'm going to spell this brand name phonetically because I don't know Yiddish, but "Manashevitz" Concord Grape is a good, sweet, fruity wine that might be good for a beginner. It is inexpensive, too. My grandfather used to keep a bottle in the house always.

Nothing like a good bum wine; try Night Train or Wild Irish Rose. To enhance the experience, drink it from a brown bag while sitting on the curb soaked in your own urine.

Right...I was thinking of something that would go with a nice dinner, not humiliate myself.