Milestones

i think a big leap forward came with the gmt400's in 1988 vastly better styling and during that generation there were so many upgrades to the overall performance of the trucks.

Cletus, I think that you have really nailed it.

Those trucks were game-changers.

Sure, GM has made some nice stuff since but those trucks were, and still are, something.

dont get me wrong, i hate to skip from 1924 all the way to 1988 but i think there is were the road forks between the best and the wannabees.

we have had all kinds of chevy trucks in my family.

1950 3100 my dad restored from the ground up over 7 yrs.

1969 chevy c10 fleetside with a 327 3 sp on the tree (my dad's old show truck. would start up on one turn, standing outside the truck)

1971 c10 stepside

dad had a 78 chevy 4x4 (before i was born)

1986 scottsdale v6 4bbl (my grandpas 230,000 miles before it was wrecked and only a transmission rebuild up to that point.)

1990 ss454 mine

1996 gmc sierra (150,000 miles and counting replaced the 86 scottsdale)

1997 1500 dads traded at 147K miles with only the headgasket being replace for insurance that it wouldnt go out.

2004 colorado mine (nothing special though)

2004 silverado Z85 what dad traded his 97 in on. i'll post a pic of that beast. its killer.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to be the one to bring up the 400s.

I have no doubt in my mind that those trucks embody the single greatest advance in domestic trucks - ever.

Very True.

Still there is just somthing about the old school simplicity of the previous style truck that makes it a modern classic as well.

My Dad had a beautiful black '86 C-10 Silvarado for a few years when I was a kid. It's 4.3/4Bbl. setup always ran kinda lousy but it would have been awesome to still have today and drop a V-8 into. 8)

Trucks are not about leather seats, rear seat DVD

players, GPS, MP3 player plugs & center consoles.

Trucks are about GVWR, bulletproof motor,

indestructible transmission/transfer case/rear end.

TRUCKS are BOF.

They are about CAST IRON, not "lightweight" or

exotic materials.

TRUCKS are about 6 or 8 lug wheels.

TRUCKS are def. NOT about spare tires in the lockable trunk-in-bed.

Very True.

Still there is just somthing about the old school simplicity of the previous style truck that makes it a modern classic as well.

well said.

Very True.

My Dad had a beautiful black '86 C-10 Silvarado for a few years when I was a kid. It's 4.3/4Bbl. setup always ran kinda lousy but it would have been awesome to still have today and drop a V-8 into. 8)

Agreed.

I have owned many of them and still have one right now.

Cameo comes to mind. Also, I will always love the '67-'72.

When I first saw the '88 I thought it looked small and narrow. In base form with sealed beam headlights, I thought it looked like a *gasp* '80-'86 FORD. The instrument cluster was nearly unreadable. They quickly improved them, however.

I also like the '99-'02. In my opinion, they cheapened the trucks in '03, and that front end was terrible. The '07 was a return to a nicer truck, not cheap looking, and with a tougher look.

The other day at work two of the guys were busting my balls over my Sierra, asking why I got rid of it for a Cobalt.

El Camino lasted longer and has a much larger following than the Ranchero. And anyone who sees a VW Caddy, Dodge Rampage or Subaru Brat is going to say "Its like a small El Camino" not "Its like a small Ranchero." The Chevy had a greater cultural impact.

El Camino lasted longer and has a much larger following than the Ranchero. And anyone who sees a VW Caddy, Dodge Rampage or Subaru Brat is going to say "Its like a small El Camino" not "Its like a small Ranchero." The Chevy had a greater cultural impact.

No argument from me!

I always preferred the Chevy Lumina SS, if only GM had brought that to North America. There would not have been a peep out of me, and we would have had a true successor to the El Camino with the correct badge on it, worthy of it's legacy ...

Edit: I consider the El Camino a truck ...

chevyluminass.jpg

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Odd that the El Camino hasn't been mentioned yet, since it redefined what a truck could be.

Love the El Camino/Caballero, but no separate cab/box = not truly a truck IMO. More a pioneer in the "multi-purpose vehicle" class before such names existed.

Of course I could be wrong. If you believe Goldfinger that little Ranchero could haul like ~4000 Lbs. in its cargo box no sweat. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by fightingbee

i found this video on youtube. posted it on my facebook as well. almost brings a tear of pride to your eyes :bowdown:

and for you camino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn1bb5Yqxuw

except that last part turn it off when it says "87 was the last year but".

also just found a suburban timeline.

Edited by cletus8269