Hey Z28, I bought a new bike last week

That's a gorgeous bike. Lots of luck with it. My sister still loves her Ladies Maverick, though right now it's hooked up to a trainer.

I've actualy been having bike envy the past week. I walked into a high-end bike shop over the weekend and saw a 2008 Cervelo something-or-other that could have been mine for $2500 (down from $3500). I came pretty close to caving, but didn't pull the trigger.

What does she weigh?

I'd rather appeal to your excitement in the new ownership experience, PCS, than Google the information.

In my 'day' under 30 lbs./14 kilos was magnifique.

They really were 'iron' horses then.

Lots of luck climbing the Alps.

[stray thought] what a bitch hearing of Natasha Richardson's skiing mishap. I've been reflecting on this since last night.

Everyone have a care in what you do.

What does she weigh?

I'd rather appeal to your excitement in the new ownership experience, PCS, than Google the information.

In my 'day' under 30 lbs./14 kilos was magnifique.

They really were 'iron' horses then.

Lots of luck climbing the Alps.

[stray thought] what a bitch hearing of Natasha Richardson's skiing mishap. I've been reflecting on this since last night.

Everyone have a care in what you do.

The new bike is in Delaware, I brought my old bike to Germany. I'd say 27 lbls at most, haven't actually weighed it ...

Here is my old bike (2005 IronHorse Orange Warrior Comp Hard Tail), I'm a big IronHorse fan, made in the USA Long Island, NY ...

2005warriorcomporange.jpg

2005 Specs

Specification:

* FRAME: ALLOY 6061 FRAME, 1 1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DROPOUT AND DISC MOUNTS, FENDER MOUNTS, MONOSTAY

* FORK: MANITOU AXEL COMP 100MM

* HANDLEBAR: ALLOY RISER BAR

* STEM: 5 DEGREE RISE 31.8 BORE, SAND BLAST ALLOY THREADLESS

* HEADSET: ZERO STACK THREADLESS, 1 1/8"

* BB: TRUVATIV POWERSPLINE

* CRANK: TRUVATIV X-FLOW CR-04-IX-S3 POWER SPLINE

* RINGS: 44/34/24 STEEL

* PEDAL: ALLOY PLATFORM

* CHAIN: SHIMANO HG-73

* SEAT: WTB PURE V SPORT SS

* SEAT POST: SAND BLAST ALLOY MICRO ADJUST

* F. HUB: ALLOY QR, DISC MOUNT, 32HOLE

* R. HUB: ALLOY QR DISC MOUNT 32HOLE

* F. DER: SHIMANO DEORE

* R. DER: SHIMANO DEORE

* SHIFTER: SHIMANO DEORE

On the news here they say Natasha is in bad bad shape, what a shame, just goes to show you how fleeting life can be ...

PCS: I agree with the site that I rarely get out of the middle ring - on my normal route in Toronto (IE: Flatsville) When I take trips to Hamilton with their escarpment (read: 330 foot cliff), I need a small ring. Seems like a strange choice to just remove the front gears altogether.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

Agreed.

But I need to find myself a bike that can go anywhere, but save my bad back....

Firned of mine has one of these:

BLACK_HUMMER_OPEN.jpg

Folded%20Boulder%20Grey%20Hummer%20H3%20

He paid $300 for it I think. I've used it and it's nice. I like the compact functionality. I would pay $300 for a bike, not $400 more than what my Intrepid cost. :P

That's a Mongoose, isn't it? I recognize the frame. I fixed one up for my friend after he found it with a toasted bottom bracket.

Look on Craigslist for a great starter road bike. I'd do that over buying one of the newer Made-in-China entry level bikes. Even a steel 10 speed from the 80s will fare better on the road than a mountain bike. If you try to take that Mogoose more than 5 miles on the road, the low gearing will burn your thighs out.

That's a Mongoose, isn't it? I recognize the frame. I fixed one up for my friend after he found it with a toasted bottom bracket.

Look on Craigslist for a great starter road bike. I'd do that over buying one of the newer Made-in-China entry level bikes. Even a steel 10 speed from the 80s will fare better on the road than a mountain bike. If you try to take that Mogoose more than 5 miles on the road, the low gearing will burn your thighs out.

It is a Mongoose, yes.

I usually take 20 mile rides here in hilly PA, so I can definitely vouch for that statement. It is geared far too low, being that its a mountain bike. Anything above 20 mph and I have to peddle my ass off to maintain. :P

The suspension and braking is nice, however.