Spied! 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

6a00d83451b3c669e20112796d70e828a4-800wi

GM continues to make steady progress readying updates for its heavy-duty pickups, including a minor face-lift. Originally thought to be badged as 2010 models, new information now pegs the revisions for the 2011 model year.

The one-ton Chevrolet Silverado 3500 in this picture sports the same grille as the current half-ton Silverado 1500, but as we first reported last year, we think it's temporary. A different grille with better fitment is likely in the works. The front bumper, however, is believed to be ready for production. GM has softened the huge metal flares at the corners of the current Silverado HD's bumper by topping off the uppermost portion with plastic from end to end. The inlet in the middle of the front bumper feeds air to the truck's transmission oil cooler. It's about a third larger than the current inlet, which makes us wonder about the changes GM has in mind for the V-8 Duramax diesel's Allison transmission.

The Duramax is expected to receive a significant increase in horsepower and torque next year (well over 700 pounds-feet of torque, sources tell us) as well as meet the toughest clean-diesel emissions standards in the world.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

PickupTrucks.com

QUOTE (Dodgefan @ Mar 18 2009, 08:21 AM)

The front end changes are a big improvement IMO.

+1

+2 I would agree, was never a fan of the big Chrome Helmet type look. I like the reduced chrome bumper look, the opening for the oil cooler is a much improved enhancement. I would say it would be beneficial for even current owner to buy the newer bumper and put it on their truck to increase cold air cooling.

This should rock, I will be looking forward to the GMC version also. :)

Funny on the web link page how many people talk smack about GM and that Dodge or Ford are superior and yet I have read more issues about the reliability of the Ford Powerstroke Engines and a few about the cummins. Yes there are even a few things about the Duramax, but overall, this engine is far superior in many ways including how quite the engine is compared to the competition.

Love the boost to 700 Foot pounds of torque. :D

Less distinctive than the current truck. I do like the current, tall grille in the HD truck, so hopefully the production version is more assertive. GM's decision to consistently put tiny tires on their HD trucks is part of the reason the current bumper looks too big. With a suitably large, knobby tire, the current HD bumper is de-emphasized, normalized in size.

I agree with 'blu on the bumper to wheel proportion issue. There are several 3/4 ton Silverados around here with big knobby tires, and they look great compared to the donut tired ones on dealer lots. Big knobby tires really do alot for the stance and the proportion of the bumper to the front end of the truck.

• 4 weeks later...