Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Food For Thought

ocnblu

In this week's Autoweek "Driver's Log", they tested an '06 Civic Si and an '06 Charger 3.5L SE.

As tested fuel mileage, Civic: 17.79 mpg

As tested fuel mileage, Charger: 23.7 mpg

Now I know they had to rev the piss out of the Civic to get it moving, but this is ridiculous. You know these guys leadfooted the Dodge as well, which makes these results all the more hilarious.

:blink: :lol: Edited by ocnblu

In this week's Autoweek "Driver's Log", they tested an '06 Civic Si and an '06 Charger 3.5L SE.

As tested fuel mileage, Civic:  17.79 mpg

As tested fuel mileage, Charger: 23.7 mpg

Now I know they had to rev the piss out of the Civic to get it moving, but this is ridiculous.  You know these guys leadfooted the Dodge as well, which makes these results all the more hilarious.

:blink:  :lol:

[post="42302"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Or perhaps the Civic was more fun to drive, encouraging the driver to push harder and harder?

They praise both cars for their fun-to-drive character, yet the Dodge turned in almost 2 mpg better, on average, than the EPA estimates, and the Honda turned in almost 8 mpg worse than the EPA. I feel these are real-world figures based on the way any enthused owner would drive these cars.

That's not really fair. The Si is the highest performance Civic, so you should compare its fuel economy to the Charger R/T or SRT-8.

The Honda, a subcompact, about 2800 pounds with 197 hp.
The Dodge, a fullsize, about 3800 pounds with 250 hp.

Honda: 14.2 lbs/HP
Dodge: 15.2 lbs/HP
The power/weight ratio is dead on; so is comparing the MPG of these 2. Trim level/heirarchy has no scientific bearing in an economy comparison.

I'm still waiting for someone to post that the civic's MPG numbers are a typo and it gets 27. Hell, my 136K 300CI F-150 gets 16 and I lay into the pedal everyday.

*raises eyebrow*

That HAS to be a type, I would think.... Either the Civic's is actually 10 more than what is listed ... or they switched the MPGs in the notation in the article....

Course, stranger things have happened....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"Something's wrong in the world today" ... Aerosmith ... 'Living On The Edge'

I'm with Cort... that has to be a typo, IMO.

Although, I guess it could happen. I mean, when I drove my GA... it chugged gas. I never calculated gas mileage but it couldn't have been all that great seeing that $5 lasted less than a day... (roughly 30-40 miles...) :unsure:

[post="42454"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My Grand Prix chugged gas, too. I remember doing 90-100MPH and actually watching the gas needle drop. That's driving, for sure. I had to get rid of it because gas was killing me but I wasn't doing that speed constantly.

Honda: 14.2 lbs/HP
Dodge: 15.2 lbs/HP
The power/weight ratio is dead on; so is comparing the MPG of these 2. Trim level/heirarchy has no scientific bearing in an economy comparison.

I'm still waiting for someone to post that the civic's MPG numbers are a typo and it gets 27. Hell, my 136K 300CI F-150 gets 16 and I lay into the pedal everyday.

[post="42404"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hp to weight doesn't mean jack for fuel economy. It doesn't take gearing or CD into consideration. The Charger seems to get better gas mileage. All this despite being MUCH heavier and having a larger engine AND being shaped like a brick. If anything the Dodge should have gotten MUCH worse mileage than the smaller car with the tiny engine. It goes to show that in the rear world the whole car matters not just numbers.

*nods* As I've heard said about sporting events, "that's why we play the game" ... to show whether or not the "on paper" results actually indicate what the "real world" will be.... I agree...it IS possible, but I don't know ... seems a bit of a stretch to me.... *shrugs* But, then again, what the helk do I know? He he he

honda's high-performance engines are nothing to write home about when it comes to gas mileage. i get about 25 mpg in the prelude if i drive it nicely the whole tank (that is, keep it below about 5000 rpm). i bet you dollars to donuts they kept it above 5000 rpm as much as possible during their testing. i sure would!