Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

Kia VG Concept

46 posts in this topic

The Kia VG Concept has been unveiled at the Seoul Auto Show and it looks... good. Nice for a concept? No, it's a veiled version of a V6-powered FWD flagship replacement for the Amanti.

The Kia VG will be going on sale later this year in Korea with international distribution following thereafter, including the US. The possibility of production is revealed in its believable powertrain. The VG starts off with a 194.6 inch overall length over a front-wheel-drive platform motivated by a 3.5-liter V6 good for 277 HP, which is backed up by a manumatic six speed transmission. The car wears the now-familiar Kia grille flanked by some slightly surprised-looking headlights and and surprisingly sleek bodywork. Inside, there's a mix of concept car doo-dads and actual hardware. We're expecting the general layout to be the same in the production version, but the high tech center console and gauge cluster are not likely. Kia needs to start being more careful or they'll become a respectable car maker.

Jalopnik

VG-front.jpg

VG-front2.jpg

VG-back.jpg

VG-interior.jpg

I was just about to post this concept. The former head of Audi is now head of design for Kia, and the Audi influence really shows in the rear. Though I have no interest in Hyundais or Kia, I'll give credit where credit is due. IMO, this is a fantastic looking concept. I like the interior too, but it doesn't blow me away.

I think it looks fantastic too, and I wouldn't mind seeing it n my driveway.

I agree that it looks good. Sort of like a sedan-sized and more normal X6. I'm not so sure about the interior, though.

I am impressed!

Yowsers! That looks awesome!

Everybody better look out for Hyundai/Kia, they seem to be right on track to dominate the industry.

I do have to admit that Kia is still a little inconsistent as far as personally impressing me. The Soul is a mixed bag to me, but (to be fair) these little box on wheels designs just don't appeal to me (although the Soul looks to be the best looking one of the lot). The Forte sedan is impressive and might just become a segment leader (if Kia nails the quality while keeping the price competitive); I think it might just be the best looking mainstream compact sedan for the forseeable future. After the Forte debuted, I thought it was smooth sailing for Kia after that; then they introduce the rather awkward redesigned Sorento. With Kia getting supposedly sportier, I guess I was expecting the next gen Sorento to be more like the CX-9 or Murano design-wise. It looks like they started in that direction with the front end design and then changed direction with the rest of the vehicle; it just doesn't look like the homerun Kia will need in this segment.

If the production version of this sedan doesn't stray too far from this great looking concept car, then Kia will definitely have won me over again. At least Kia looks like they will have nailed their sedan styling in the future. I can't wait to see the production version of this beauty. I think Hyundai/Kia should let Kia have the FWD large car segment to itself since Hyundai has the RWD large cars (and this car is definitely much better looking than the Azera). Hyundai/Kia should give Hyundai a midsize MPV based on this platform as the next gen Entourage; Kia could then have the Sedona minivan all to itself. I know there is going to be some overlap between Hyundai and Kia in some of the major segments (compact sedans, midsize sedans, and crossovers), but Hyundai/Kia should try to give each brand some exclusive products also (the Soul is a good example of a segment that should remain a Kia exclusive).

It looks exactly like (insert car name here)

Its good looking, the rear seems a bit unoriginal, but overall a good looking package.

The only thing I would change is that I would enlarge the Kia badge and insert it in the middle of the grille opening. This is a beautiful car, Kia should show their pride in this awesome design and place their name front and center in the middle of the grille.

This car is a nice followup to the great looking Forte. If Kia nails the next gen Optima like they have these 2 sedans, I wouldn't be surprised to see the brand make some significant gains in the market (especially on the overhyped Toyota and Honda brands).

Is this Genesis based?

The styling is not all that great. Way too many arbitrary stops/breaks

in the trim, sculpting, contours & brightwork. The grille is interesting but WTF

is up with that greenhouse? The rear side window can't decide whether its

got a Hofmeister kink or not. :yuck:

The white interior is swank, I'd like to do my MB 500SEC's over that way one

day...like the crazy AMG/gullwing/widebody examples of my car.

P.S. White (body-color?) insert in the headlight? F-minus.

I saw one out in front of the Costco last night only it was wearing a VW badge....

VG-front2.jpg

2009_volkswagen_passat_cc_0_430.jpg

VG-back.jpg

vw-passat-cc-2-big.jpg

Nah, if anything it reminds me of an X6's butt.

chris-bangle-talks-bmw-x6.jpg

only better looking.

I'm talking overall body shape.

The last GM B-bodies looked more different than this.

I saw one out in front of the Costco last night only it was wearing a VW badge....

VG-front2.jpg

VG-back.jpg

vw-passat-cc-2-big.jpg

I see that too, I thought I was the only one?!?

I'm talking overall body shape.

The last GM B-bodies looked more different than this.

Well I mean, we could take it a step further and say the CC is like whatever the hell Mercedes calls it's "4-door coupe"

I would kind of give you the front, but not the back, and even then I wouldn't say it looks like it that much

The detailing is all completely different, as are the shapes of the grille, intakes, headlights, etc.

I like both, of course I like the CC because it reminds me of an Intrepid from the side profile.

The VW is even uglier. :yuck:

& I hate the CLS for it's "4-door-2-door" idiocy.... but its at least got very clean styling

The VW is even uglier. :yuck:

& I hate the CLS for it's "4-door-2-door" idiocy.... but its at least got very clean styling

Agree 'Panther, yet it is all in the eye of the beholder.

That shape has suddenly seized the imagination of the majority at present.

VG-front2.jpg

VG-back.jpg

vw-passat-cc-2-big.jpg

Other than sharing the infamous "4-door coupe" profile, I don't think they look all that similar.

Both cars happen to be very nice looking sedans, though.

It's not like the Kia car is one of those annoying Chinese knockoff copycat vehicles. Of course, this is just my opinion.

NO, you're right. It's not a blatant ripoff... but still I'm not one

to go all goo-goo-gah-gah over a warmed over imitation.

Even in 2009 there's still many BOLD, striking & very original

designs out there. Just some awesome examples of cars that

were designed by creative "out of the box" thinkers:

- Art & Science Cadillacs, esp the 2nd gen. CTS-V

- Mercedes Benz CL600 hardtop

- Infiniti FX35 / FX45 (as well as the new FX37 / FX50)

- 5th Gen. Camaro

- Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34 & current gen...)

- Dodge Charger & Magnum

- Last Gen. Celica GT-S

& of course there's the stunning, inspirational exotics.

- McLaren F1

- Bugatti Veyron

- Koenigsegg CCX

PS: the X6 is really growing on me... looks way better in the flesh.

I've seen one, I give it a "meh".

You people realize that in the two threads about this car you're comparing a Kia's styling to BMWs, Audis and Lincolns, right? That should say something about how far the Koreans have come.

You people realize that in the two threads about this car you're comparing a Kia's styling to BMWs, Audis and Lincolns, right? That should say something about how far the Koreans have come.

:yes:

Well said.

WRONG.

It's a concept car. This means NOTHING.

Talk to me when the PRODUCTION car is compared to

something other than an ugly Toyota Camry or the

awkward Honda Accord.

Concept =/= production.

lacrossepic5.jpg4802006buicklacrosse.jpg

The concept Lacrosse was sex on wheels. The production... about as exciting as stale, soggy Wonder Bread.

300px1024x768boxstercon.jpg97boxster1.jpg

Or, better yet:

fordverve1.jpg2009fordfiesta.jpg

The devil is in the details.

(e.g. proportions, chrome trim, lighting, stance, greenhouse)

I may HATE the Camaro's B-pillar but to the average slob it's

just as if not more attention grabbing in production as the

concept car was. In fact the headlights were IMHO a big

improvement over the slightly awkward Concept's headlights.

Edited by Sixty8panther