Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt41

My First Ride

59 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so it is getting to be that time where I should start getting ideas of which car to purchase as my first one. I am turning sixteen in a few months (when I get my permit; a little early to look, yes, but it doesn't hurt), and I need to get a job, haha. I have about 1800 in the bank (not too terrible for someone my age) and I need to be able to afford insurance plus the car. Does anyone have a good idea of a cheap, reliable car that is also sporty and fuel-efficient (at least twenty-two mpg)? Thanks in advance, your guys' opinions really help!

Cheap+reliable+efficient=late 80's Honda Accord

Yeah, narrow it down a bit...do you have any brand perferences or exclusions? Body styles of choice?

22mpg is a curious number to aim for.

Cheap+reliable+efficient=late 80's Honda Accord

:scratchchin:

He did say "sporty" as well.

So that won't quite do it.

Unmolested Prelude?

96prelude.jpg

I always had a thing for these cars. They would go great with an Eagle Vision.

Those late 80's/early 90's Accords were pretty sporty. Great handlers. There are a few rough ones on eBay for cheap. A similar vintage Prelude would fit the criteria as well.

On that note, Visions were the sportiest of all the first gen LH cars...they had unique suspension tuning.

95vision_tsi_1.jpg

However reliability of the first gens is hit or miss.

How many of those did they make? Like 8? Thats a gutsy recommendation since they're impossible to find. I haven't seen one, or any Eagle, in years.

How many of those did they make? Like 8? Thats a gutsy recommendation since they're impossible to find. I haven't seen one, or any Eagle, in years.

There's a red one down the street from me. I can see it from my house. :P

Oh and there's another one the next town over. Always thought it was interesting because their neighbors have a first gen Intrepid.

Yes they are rare compared to the other LH cars though.

any w-body with a series 1 3800

any w-body with a 3.1L that has been "fixed" ..the intake manifold gasket.

option 1, if they're in decent shape shouldn't be more than 2500.. or so...

option 2, could be as high as 5K but prolly closer to 3K.

i know mine are "lame" but they would be good for a first time owner.

I love those thing! They're so quirky...that's the world's first sport utility wagon.

There's also one of those down the street from me. :lol:

I'd say go on a granny car hunt.

-Low miles

- Old

- probably garaged

- well maintained

-Cheap

W-Body Century... hands down.

16 year olds never want the granny car, but thats probably their best option in the short and long term.

16 year olds never want the granny car, but thats probably their best option in the short and long term.

You have to find the right granny. :AH-HA_wink:

I'd go with an Accord from the late eighties; they get good economy, and they can be fun to drive around. But even then, it'd be better if you saved your change, until you get more cash in your savings account. Unless you REALLY need to have the car now, you can do much better if you wait.

Getting an 80's Accord on the cheap also mean you don't feel bad if you ding it up.

W-Body Century... hands down.

After I wrecked my Dakota, I got my dad's '96 (A-body) Century when he bought the Sebring. That damned Buick ran forever. It wound up with over 210,000 miles when I traded it in on my Saturn. Original head gasket, original transmission. Only thing un-original was the driver's side of the bench seat. The spider gear broke and the seat stayed fully reclined. Got a replacement from the junkyard, cheap and easy. A Century/Regal/Cutlass Ciera/Cutlass/Malibu would be a decent choice as well.

Getting an 80's Accord on the cheap also mean you don't feel bad if you ding it up.

My brother-in-laws '92 has 230k on it. Second gear went out while I was driving it, but 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th still work and he drives it quite a bit. Most of the parts are cheap, and its pretty easy to work on.

Shoot for old and low mile rather than newer and high mile.

Parts get expensive fast.

Not sure how I forgot this, but go with an 80's b-body. My wagon was $500. Keeping it running has cost less than $500. Insuring it is less than $40/month. Taking the engine swap and slight restoration into account, I've still got less than $2500 invested. It was getting 15mpg, which isn't great, but not that bad for a carbureted V8/4-speed automatic, 4500 pound wagon.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0