Small cars get poor marks in collision tests

I nominate this for the "No freakin' Kidding?!?!?" award of the year

lol yea true. Believe it or not though their is some poor sap out there that never thought of this when he was picking his Yaris up at the dealership last week! :duh:

:mind-blowing: ....well, not really. :deadhorse: I hate small cars...they get stuck in my tires!

I am with Moltar here...give me my Escalade over one of these coffins any day. Same goes for my family. Nothing smaller than 3200 pounds for me in my driveway.

Edited by toesuf94

But if you're a good driver, you won't ever get into an accident, right? So who needs safety in a car anyway?

Just last Saturday an F150 at a stop sign somehow didn't see me while I was driving 60 mph. I had to jump over into the turning to avoid T-boning him and back into my original lane to avoid jumping the curb...my old Camry would have rolled all over the place but my new car didn't even care. No doubt a less skilled driver like my gf would have had an accident.

I'm quite content averaging only 16 mpg in my 25-year-old

Mercedes Benz knowing that it will hold together better

than most new (2009 m.y.) cars, and even its 4000-odd Lbs.

will help to keep my girls safe in a nasty accident.

But if you're a good driver, you won't ever get into an accident, right? So who needs safety in a car anyway?

You drive a Yaris don't you? :neenerneener:

I'm quite content averaging only 16 mpg in my 25-year-old

Mercedes Benz knowing that it will hold together better

than most new (2009 m.y.) cars, and even its 4000-odd Lbs.

will help to keep my girls safe in a nasty accident.

There is a distinct difference between holding together better and protecting its passengers.

a 1950s truck will hold together great, but the same can probably not be said of its passengers.

A Formula 1 car will totally disintegrate, but it will protect its passenger.

There is a distinct difference between holding together better and protecting its passengers.

a 1950s truck will hold together great, but the same can probably not be said of its passengers.

A Formula 1 car will totally disintegrate, but it will protect its passenger.

I still feel that people would be safer in my 1994 Suburban than in many 2009 Model cars.

Here is a perfect reason why I will never leave big vehicles. This poor person, yes that is his foot is dead after being hit by this GM Kodiak.

feetaccident2.jpg

:mind-blowing:

Edited by dfelt

I still feel that people would be safer in my 1994 Suburban than in many 2009 Model cars.

Here is a perfect reason why I will never leave big vehicles. This poor person, yes that is his foot is dead after being hit by this GM Kodiak.

feetaccident2.jpg

That is a very disturbing and tragic picture.

I think the problem is that large trucks like that can be rented from any moving place with just a license and credit card. I'm not saying that was the case in that picture, but it is something that bugs me. Someone could have no experience driving a large truck like that, rent it, have no clue how long it takes it to brake or its handling limits, and plow into somebody and kill them.

I think anything over 5000 lbs should require some sort of heavy vehicle license and additional training. That includes some full-size SUVs. People may feel safe in them, but the people around them are less safe if they are inexperienced.

That is a very disturbing and tragic picture.

I think the problem is that large trucks like that can be rented from any moving place with just a license and credit card. I'm not saying that was the case in that picture, but it is something that bugs me. Someone could have no experience driving a large truck like that, rent it, have no clue how long it takes it to brake or its handling limits, and plow into somebody and kill them.

I think anything over 5000 lbs should require some sort of heavy vehicle license and additional training. That includes some full-size SUVs. People may feel safe in them, but the people around them are less safe if they are inexperienced.

I think there needs to be additional training all around. As you said, large trucks can be rented with a license and credit card, what makes that worse is that it is so easy to get a license.

feetaccident2.jpg

At the same time, the IIHS says you'll be safer in a Yaris than a Silverado if a 3300 lbs, SUV-height barrier T-bones you at 31 mph.

silveradogn9.jpg

1. Mass (as in gross weight) is a huge part of the equation.

You can't fool physics.... when a car with a gross weight of

4000 lbs. (Cadillac, Mercedes, whatever) collides with

3000 lbs. of Honda Civic there is no denying that right from

the get-go the passengers in the car w/ 75% its combatant

is at a huge disadvantage.

I know my off hand remarks, sometimes just by virtue of

my disgust with FWD econobxes make me seem a bit naive,

but I assure you I understand the importance of collapsible

steering columns, airbags, door beams & crumple zones.

Still, you can not overcome pure physics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRJ1-UKSV9M...feature=related

Interesting publicity stunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezlNKSANtbo...feature=related

Hey BlackViper: Don't you constantly hate on S-10 Blazers? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH6mDM2xa4I...feature=related