Chrysler unveils new electric minivan for U.S. Postal Service duty

usps1_opt.jpg

Chrysler is celebrating Earth Day today by unveiling the first four of what will be a fleet of 250 battery powered minivans for the US Postal Service. The U.S.P.S. will be using the vans for variety of duties at locations around the country – including daily home delivery.

The vans themselves are based on the concept Town and Country EV that was unveiled last Fall by Chrysler. However, because of the duty cycle used by the Postal Service – which generally amounts to only about 18-20 miles per day on a fixed route – these vehicles are being built without the range extender seen on the concept. However, the electric drive portion of the vehicles, including the motor, electronics and A123 System lithium ion battery pack is identical. The head of Chrysler's ENVI division Lou Rhodes told Autoblog Green this morning that Chrysler is marketing this battery-only version of the van to commercial fleet customers who typically have a shorter range requirements. The extended-range version will be focused on retail customers.

The initial batch of vehicles include a pair of right- and left-hand drive versions, and the total fleet will include a mix. The Postal Service will be using the vehicles for whatever applications they have in different regions of the country. The intent is to evaluate the usability of electric vans, as well as the interaction between the vehicles and the infrastructure. In addition to the post office, Consolidated Edison (Con Ed), Duke Energy, DTE Energy and Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) will participate in the test program.

Autoblog

This means that Chrysler has done a lot of EV work without making a scene about it like GM. Not that I'm blaming GM for making use of the PR, I'm just saying it's impressive what Chrysler has been able to do in quiet.

Also, for all of the people who said the ENVI's were nothing but fluff...eat it. :P

usps1_opt.jpg

Chrysler is celebrating its last days in business today by unveiling the first four of what would have been a fleet of 250 battery powered minivans for the US Postal Service. The U.S.P.S. will be using the vans for variety of duties at locations around the country – including daily home delivery.

Autoblog

Fixed.

GM may not be far behind them. So let's LOLOLOLOL at that too.

Ah who cares the haters won't be happy until both of them are run into the ground anyway. lol

(assuming, for the moment there's a future here to discuss)

Ummmmm.... how long, in seconds, before detractors start linking the Town & Country with 'driving an unlettered mail truck' ??? This is NOT what I would call an aspirational association by a long shot.

I'm surprised they don't trim them as a Caravans... I think some places already use Caravans as postal vans.

(assuming, for the moment there's a future here to discuss)

Ummmmm.... how long, in seconds, before detractors start linking the Town & Country with 'driving an unlettered mail truck' ??? This is NOT what I would call an aspirational association by a long shot.

Can't argue with how the naysayers will try to spin it. However it's only $250 and it's meant to be a showcase. Kind of like the FCX Clarity or Equinox Hydrogen thing but electric and for work duties instead of commuter. I think it's a good way to put the system to the test.

Sounds neat. I wonder what the pricetag is. Might be reasonable, since the buyer isn't paying for 2 drivetrains like in a hybrid. One potential issue I could see is with weather and outside power stations. A smart design should make that a rare issue, but still something to be considered. I doubt the postal service is going to start having garage space for their fleets. I could see some of these early oddball test models getting garage treatment, tho.